• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Ranging with MOA

davidky

Minuteman
Mar 11, 2013
Louisiana
This may be a simple question but I've never seen it addressed anywhere. Can you range with a MOA scope?

(target size/Image size)*87.3= range in meters

(target size/Image size)*95.5= range in yards

Or that's the way I understand it.

Agreed but keep in mind that depending on the magnification used the MOA reading will differ. For example 24x equals a true 2moa on my reticle whereas 16x equals 4moa. Your scope may very so be sure to check the literature included.

IPHY really makes ranging simple. Estimated target size in inches / IPHY subtensions target displaces = distance in hundreds of yards. Example: 30" target / displaces 2 IPHY subtensions = 15 hundred yards, 30" target / displaces 2.5 IPHY subtensions = 12 hundred yards. Really easy math with the added bonus that you can probably be accurate enough in your target size estimation to hit with the first round.

IPHY really makes ranging simple. Estimated target size in inches / IPHY subtensions target displaces = distance in hundreds of yards. Example: 30" target / displaces 2 IPHY subtensions = 15 hundred yards, 30" target / displaces 2.5 IPHY subtensions = 12 hundred yards. Really easy math with the added bonus that you can probably be accurate enough in your target size estimation to hit with the first round.

Yes it is easier to range, but iphy isn't measuring a true degree of a radius as mils and moa are. Not sure if this matters though as 10" would be 10" no matter what.

Yes it is easier to range, but iphy isn't measuring a true degree of a radius as mils and moa are. Not sure if this matters though as 10" would be 10" no matter what.

It surely is. You can think of it however you like, 1/3600th of a radian as opposed to 1/1000th. Minutes are 60ths of degrees, which is a circle divided into 360 equal parts. Of IPHY, mils, and MOA only MOA doesn't have a designed connection to the radius of said circle, which for our purposes equates to the distance to the target. The math will have to accommodate this fact and be a step more complex.

I've got a MOA scope and I plan on doing that. For longer ranges it would be good to have a quality range finder also.

For years I used a duplex reticle in a 3x9 Leupold scope. It was first focul plane, so I had to make sure it was on 9 power.

A deer sized critter would cover up exactly the distance between the heavy duplex crosshairs at 300 yards and half that distance at 500 yards, 3/4 the distance was 400 yards. I wouldn't shoot any further than that, because I don't like wounding game. This method wouldn't work very well beyond 500 yards. It wasn't perfect but it worked well for me. Jack O'connor used to size game up with a LEE dot. I know that there are better methods and systems these days.

Military snipers often do the same thing, usually with mil dots. There's no reason you can't do the same thing with a good MOA scope. For me MOA are easier to figure. IF you have been trained with mil dots maybe that is the easiest.

I don't mean to sound like a know it all. I'm sure others can probably give you a better answer, but this is my two cents worth.

In the real world the easy example numbers never usually work. All the math should be done with something that will be accurate as possible and not in your head.

To the original question, yes you can. You can also use a mildot master to make life easier. Use the numbers on the right under MOA and then look to the left side for the range.

This may be a simple question but I've never seen it addressed anywhere. Can you range with a MOA scope?

Absolutely, whether milliradians or minutes of angle it's just an angular measurement.

Your correct.

Here's the derivation in yards:

Yards_Range_Estimation_Known_Target_Size_In_MOA_zpsa32a9452.png

Here's the derivation in meters:
Meters_Range_Estimation_Known_Target_Size_In_MOA_zpsf79cfc78.png

In the real world the easy example numbers never usually work. All the math should be done with something that will be accurate as possible and not in your head.

To the original question, yes you can. You can also use a mildot master to make life easier. Use the numbers on the right under MOA and then look to the left side for the range.
Yeah, you might have to break out a calculator or a pen and paper if the target is 11" and covers 1.25 IPHY, but the real crux in getting accurate quotients is estimating the targets size in the first place.

In any case you can range with MOA. Estimate your target size in inches, divide by the number MOA subtensions your target displaces, and then multiply by 95.5 (which is the number of yds where the MOA angle subtends one inch) as was mentioned earlier.

As Rob said a MilDot Master will range with MOA's on the the right side, MRAD's on the left and with a slight mod IPHY