• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rank .308 Brass Brands

How on earth does a post this old get bumped? :oops:

It's kind of settled by the F-T/R shooters; everyone is running Lapua Palma. I can't think of a single TR shooter on the line at the clubs I attend running anything else.

Winchester brass has been trash for almost as long as the .308 has been irrelevant. Find the humor in that Private Joker.
Come on Cornhole, is that you all you got is another moronic, uninformed , snowflake influenced attempt at trying to sound intelligent?
Winchester brass is well made and I've used it for going on 40 years now along with various years of LC in my ARs, M14s and M40s as well as .223 bolt guns with great success and have placed and won many rifle matches out to 600 yards with both brands. Granted there is better made brass at different manufacturers available but Winchester is not trash by any standard.
With your assinine comments I see you most likely do not reload or even own a firearm for that matter.
So just go hump someone else's leg because you are revealing your lack of intelligence to everyone here by posting your foolish and absurd non factual dribble. Put your PlayStation control down and try to return to the real world and leave your fantasy one behind.

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs
Not all Winchester 308 brass is trash. 308 is still very much relevant. You PRS fucks should start your own line of clothing.

Just the stuff they have been making for last 5-7 years has been trash. You anti-PRS fucks should find a way to keep your G-strings from getting all twisted up.

Come on Cornhole, is that you all you got is another moronic, uninformed , snowflake influenced attempt at trying to sound intelligent?
Winchester brass is well made and I've used it for going on 40 years now along with various years of LC in my ARs, M14s and M40s as well as .223 bolt guns with great success and have placed and won many rifle matches out to 600 yards with both brands. Granted there is better made brass at different manufacturers available but Winchester is not trash by any standard.
With your assinine comments I see you most likely do not reload or even own a firearm for that matter.
So just go hump someone else's leg because you are revealing your lack of intelligence to everyone here by posting your foolish and absurd non factual dribble. Put your PlayStation control down and try to return to the real world and leave your fantasy one behind.

Winchester brass has been trash for nearly a decade. After they switched to red bags they pretty much went to shit. After throwing away about half of 500 pieces of Winchester brass, I would never use them again. They are trash. When was the last time you bought brass?

I bet you sit on porch passing Worther's originals, and talking about grandpa calibers like the .308, that you used to shoot, before the arthritis, and dementia set in. Is that the problem, you can't get a hold of your little panties to untwist them because of the arthritis? Or, is that you realize they are way up there, but can't remember what to do about it anymore?

1583672206169.png

Winchester brass has been trash for nearly a decade. After they switched to red bags they pretty much went to shit. After throwing away about half of 500 pieces of Winchester brass, I would never use them again. They are trash. When was the last time you bought brass?

I bet you sit on porch passing Worther's originals, and talking about grandpa calibers like the .308, that you used to shoot, before the arthritis, and dementia set in. Is that the problem, you can't get a hold of your little panties to untwist them because of the arthritis? Or, is that you realize they are way up there, but can't remember what to do about it anymore?

As a matter of fact I did buy some Winchester brass about 3 months ago.
No problems with them at all. In fact I placed 1st in a Hostage target match with reduced size targets. 2nd place was 6 points behind me in score. He only uses Lapua brass , he's a very good rifleman with accurate rifles and his loading skills are precise and the components are of top quality.
That being said, I just had a better day than he did at that match.
My crappy Winchester brass loaded .308 ammo shot very well thru the M40 that day as it ALWAYS does.
Your description of my health and disabilities are close with the exception of the dementia. I do have arthritis but so far it's does not hinder my shooting skills. I use a 1960s era Redfield 3x-9x 40mm scope on my M40, the other guy has a 6-24 x 44 Leupold.
I don't sit on the porch eating Wurthers candy, I smoke cigars and sip bourbon with my vet buddies on the porch enjoying each other's company and discussing the "grandpa" calibers we still shoot with deadly accuracy.

As far as panties go you sound as though you have extensive experience and skill in that endeavour.
With that I will close my post with this:
Cornhole, perhaps you are on the wrong website because from what I read on some of your other posts you have nothing to offer as far as firearms go, just info you have copied and added your bullshit lack of respect comments to in a sad effort to make you feel better about yourself and the empty existence of a life that you live.

And honestly, if you don't fuck with .308 why would you chime in or even click on a thread about .308. Go rub one out with your 6 creed circle jerk, seems like time better spent.

Necro threads can be fun folks.

• Haha
Reactions: Pvt. Joker
My choices are;
1. Lapua
2. Norma
3. LC Match ( the older the better)
4. all other

There are some new players in the brass game that have a loyal following but I have not used any of their brass. So my opinion is somewhat dated.

I think Winchester uses better brass in their factory loads than what they sell as unfired. I've had too much new Winchester brass with defects. And a bunch more that had neck splits after one firing. This was in 308 and 223.

Several years ago one winter I got a serious case of cabin fever. I gathered up several 100 round lots of 308 brass and did comparisons. About like Handloader magazine did. I seem to have lost those notes but going by memory, here is what I found.

Norma brass was the most consistent in weight and neck wall thickness. Lapua would have been if not for one case that busted their average. Both were very close and very good. LC match was a very close 3rd. LC issue brass was also in the top 5. Winchester was not bad, FC was a little worse and RP and IMI were all over the place.

I started by resizing the cases without the priming pin in order to retain the primer. This let me trim the case and then to weigh the amount of alcohol that each case held. Then I deprimed them and uniformed the primer pocket and deburred the flash hole. Then I weighed each case. I also measured the neck wall thickness. I kept notes about things like the amount of material that I remover from the primer pocket, flash hole and how uniform the case length was when new and untrimmed. I did not load or shoot any of these.
I know that a sample of 100 is not that large but that was still a lot of case prep just for curiosities sake!

My experience with brass life is that Lapua, Norma, LC and IMI hold up well. FC gets loose primer pockets pretty early. Winchester gets neck splits pretty early unless its annealed. RP holds up ok.

I have not tried Alpha, Starline or any of the newer ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pvt. Joker
Just the stuff they have been making for last 5-7 years has been trash. You anti-PRS fucks should find a way to keep your G-strings from getting all twisted up.
You think it’s funny when they call you a snowflake, then cry about a grandpa statement? They then tell you about the brass they’ve been shooting for 40 years hahahahahahahaha pure gold! Haha haha 308 shooting grandpas in banana hammocks hahahahaha. “ain’t been right since nam.”

All Winchester is shit and 308 is for cucks

I see you and Cornhole? are members in the Snowflake❄ Sugar Britches Department of the Neutered Soy Boy Club.
You just can't handle a .308 and that it's used in the US military
I'll bet it runs shivers up your spineless back when you even hear the numbers .308 mentioned. ?
Thats OK, I'm sure theres a "safe place" to hide until the big bad .308 has passed.

I think Winchester uses better brass in their factory loads than what they sell as unfired. I've had too much new Winchester brass with defects. And a bunch more that had neck splits after one firing. This was in 308 and 223.

Several years ago one winter I got a serious case of cabin fever. I gathered up several 100 round lots of 308 brass and did comparisons. About like Handloader magazine did. I seem to have lost those notes but going by memory, here is what I found.

Norma brass was the most consistent in weight and neck wall thickness. Lapua would have been if not for one case that busted their average. Both were very close and very good. LC match was a very close 3rd. LC issue brass was also in the top 5. Winchester was not bad.

Winchester gets neck splits pretty early unless its annealed.

I agree with what you posted except I have never had any neck split issues with Winchester as my friend has a setup to anneal brass and he's done all mine over the years. I did try some .223 IMI that did split even after annealing.
I recently started doing my own annealing as he no longer shoots due to health issues.

I didn't really see any difference between loaded Win cases and unloaded as far as defects in neck splitting.

Lapua is a no brainer. PPU brass bagged for reloading last just as long but need a little prep work.

I do think its funny it took a month to get some Geezers all pissed off about that post. Or did you get good and mad, start to do something, and then forget what you were mad about? That's probably what has you remembering a day when Winchester brass wasn't trash.

Gay Tiger all the way bitches!!! ? ? ?

I think Private Joker is fantasizing about cornholes and corncobs. He might pretend to be 308, but he is Gay Tiger all the way.

Sorry O.P. That is my final troll. Some people can't laugh at a joke and move on. ?:rolleyes:?? and some ass holes can't resists an opportunity to make some Muppet beat the shit out of his key board.

Lapua 308 brass is my favorite. I used to buy Horandy .308 match brass off gunbroker. The last batch of Hornady Match brass I bought has lasted long enough, I have no idea the state of it toady.

Last edited:
Re: Rank .308 Brass Brands

Of the USA brands, Hornady is definitely the best. Nosler is touted as best, but if you spin it in reverse on a runout gauge, you'd throw it awy.

Interesting. I could not get measurable runout...as in zero runout...on Nosler custom 7RM brass. I dont reload much 308 anymore, but when I did I was reloading FGMM brass and it was great. Havent tried the nosler 308.

Hey SuperCorndogs, I'm not pissed off at you nor do I consider myself a geezer.

I am surprised at your efforts to upset older folks though. I find that quite odd to give an older person a hard time to upset them and find enjoyment in doing so.
I'm all for joking around and having a good time, I just don't find your jokes funny at all. It must be the age difference or maybe it's something a bit deeper.
What concerns me is the total disrespect for older people that the younger generation has for them. I don't know your age but due to what I just mentioned I have a general idea. This isn't the first time I have read this type of verbal attacks towards us "geezers" as you call us older folks.

You have no idea what some of my generation have been thru.
I had no idea what my parents generation went thru, only some things were told to me, other things I read about, things that were not talked about very much if at all.

With all joking aside the truth is I feel bad for you and those like you.
Your disrespect towards people you have never met shows me where our country is headed and what it has become.

I hope things get better one day and you come to realize the point I'm trying to make.

I would bet if we met each other in public you would not say any of what you posted to or about me.
Shut the hell up

“What some of you went through” is nothing compared to the agony of having you pontificate at us.

Interesting. I could not get measurable runout...as in zero runout...on Nosler custom 7RM brass. I dont reload much 308 anymore, but when I did I was reloading FGMM brass and it was great. Havent tried the nosler 308.

That was 10 years ago. Honestly, I forget what I observed back then to have made me say that. I do remember that some of the brass I picked up was real heavy and some was light which screwed with load development. I hate when manufacturers change specs and don’t tell people about it.

Federal, Winchester, Remington keep the same spec for decades. You can rely on that brass to do what you expect. Not the best quality, but they stick to the same spec.

I think Nosler belted magnum brass was made by Norma back then.

Shut the hell up

“What some of you went through” is nothing compared to the agony of having you pontificate at us.

If it bothers you to read someone's opinion, don't read it.

"Shut the hell up"
Wow, that puts fear in my heart.

I rest my case, yet another "tough guy" on a keyboard.

Back on the subject.
After what I read, I'm a bit more interested in Lapua and Nosler brass.
I'm going to buy a small amount of each and see if it increases my accuracy and record useage and resizing stats in comparison to the Winchester and LC I currently use.
Another interesting project to add to my list.

If it bothers you to read someone's opinion, don't read it.

"Shut the hell up"
Wow, that puts fear in my heart.

I rest my case, yet another "tough guy" on a keyboard.

From the guy talking shit with his key board, who got all pissed off about an opinion of the .308. You can't script this kind of moronic hypocrisy.

I remember now what I meant.

I was trying to be funny... like spinning a record backwards to reveal a hidden message.

Re: Rank .308 Brass Brands

I have lots of Federal from Sniper Training/Class. I also have several hundred IMI Match cases. Right now I am loading the Federals until they die, and or my supply drys up. Which will probably not be in the near future.

I will probably go to the IMI Match at some point because I have it.

Like LoneWolfUSMC when I spend more of my money buying brass, it will probably be Winchester. Same reasoning Value vs Quality.
When picking up "Federal" brass, what headstamp are you looking for? FC or "Federal" ?

Guess I should have asked is "FC" the same as "Federal" in it's characteristics as listed in the list at the beginning of this thread.