• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rant--I just do not get it

Hi,

I hope he remembers that and tells everyone else on their KO2M Team that there will be no coaching, no spotting, no helping get rifle setup, etc etc of any kind.

Sincerely,
Theis
I guess there’s that. Even though I borrowed my rifle, didn’t load my ammo, and didn’t calculate my dope. I did, however, carry my own rifle, and set it up on my own. Next time will be different. I appreciate all of your positive comments. A great majority of shooters are amazing people who I have had the honor to become good friends with.

Reactions: jasent and tydex21
I work for a living... I shoot for fun.. whatever I can do to have more fun and enjoy the impacts I get, contain myself and laugh when I do something silly and hopefully keep getting better. I love the smell of powder burning and the sound of steel ringing in the distance.. I have been around all forms of life in a few different shooting genres.. there will always be a few "jocks" around but i'll try and stay away from them.. Met LOTS of great people, just try and ignore the arrogant ones and keep trying to have fun without causing division in the shooting community.. If they divide us, we're in trouble... Keep it fun!!!
Brien
Absolutely, keep it fun. I’m over it, but just thought I would share insight to the original post based on my experience. I’m all about keeping it fun 😁

I have met some interesting jersey shooters. I once met an entire team of oriental shooters at a Glock match in Colorado. In large bold print on the back of their jerseys: "Team Wi-Suk".

Was this match in 1861 and did you retire to your study to discuss French Indochina trade? Who the hell still says "oriental" when they're not shopping for a rug or a salad?

Reactions: MEPienta
My company decided we would do direct sponsorship of results instead of the traditional sponsorship scenario.

You win matches you get comped.

Since I can't be out and about, we did not want to be surprised by arrogance or god-forbid, the cheating that happens when some guys fall to the pressure of performing like has been found out recently.

Shoot good with Blackjack - get comped. It's not as sexy as getting $10,000 free gear every year but we don't have to worry about these types of things.

I also did not want to have a sponsored shooter feel trapped. I never felt that way when I was sponsored, but I know guys who do feel that way and stick with certain companies due to the volume and cash value of their agreement.

Last edited:
Not necessarily ELR, but I've seen the same in lots of competitions. You take the good with the bad, ignore the dicks, and sometimes be a leader to put an end to that stupidity.

My first run in with an arrogant Jersey Shooter was as a teenager shooting ATA trap. I kinda knew the guy since I worked the range (back before there were automatic traphouses and voice-activated pulls). He was always a primadonna, talking smack about equipment but looking to assign blame for every miss ("Late pull" or "Are you sure those birds are regulation height?", crap like that).
I got assigned on the same squad as him during our county championship. Me with my field-grade 870 Wingmaster and "Mister Kreighoff" (not the actual one) patched out like a NASCAR driver. I heard him bitch once on the first pad about having a 15 year-old kid on the line "with real shooters".

300 birds later and I quietly posted a 288 vs. his 286. I was gonna let it go until the club VP (my club sponsor / boss) kind of announced it to the world... "Hey Bob, looks like one of my guys beat your score! How's that fancy gun working out for ya?". I walked out with the junior trophy and bunch of handshakes. He walked out with his immensely expensive K-Gun and his pecker in his hand.
Moral of the story? Sometimes the well-respected shooters, range cadre and club officers can end that garbage behavior quickly with a little "good-natured ribbing" when you see that crap going on. The younger or less-experienced among us will greatly appreciate it.

Awhile back I was squad with a guy that made fun of another shooter behind his back. Then, months later karma showed up and the two tied and had to have a shootoff. Guess who won? As soon as it was over I walked up and congratulated the winner and just grinned at the other.

Doesn’t seem to matter which shooting discipline, there are going to be assholes. I recall
LL having a rant over a similar issue in PRS a while ago. Last year I helped coach a female
overseas shooter in an Asia Pacific F Class championship. She had never shot past 300 before,
so I provided data and a little local wind info. A well known local shooter had provided ammo,
as hand loads are prohibited in the country of origin.

Despite all these handicaps, the lady shot her way to a silver medal on one of the days, much
to the annoyance of some of the assholes there. The snide comments got so bad at one point I
had to call one guy out, and make it very clear I knew his sponsor very well, and would be having
a phone call with him as soon as I got off the line. He got dropped after the match.

I would have preferred to resolve it off camera in the car park. Instead of helping and encouraging
an international visitor in their first big match, he and his team seemed butthurt they got their ass
kicked by a female, who had good form and shot well on her own merits. Despite having very humble
equipment and using gifted untuned ammunition, and using a Harris bipod not an F specific bipod.
As with many things in life, best thing to do is ignore it and beat them on the target, and smile : )

Doesn’t seem to matter which shooting discipline, there are going to be assholes. I recall
LL having a rant over a similar issue in PRS a while ago. Last year I helped coach a female
overseas shooter in an Asia Pacific F Class championship. She had never shot past 300 before,
so I provided data and a little local wind info. A well known local shooter had provided ammo,

Despite all these handicaps, the lady shot her way to a silver medal on one of the days, much
to the annoyance of some of the assholes there. The snide comments got so bad at one point I
had to call one guy out, and make it very clear I knew his sponsor very well, and would be having
a phone call with him as soon as I got off the line. He got dropped after the match.

I would have preferred to resolve it off camera in the car park. Instead of helping and encouraging
an international visitor in their first big match, he and his team seemed butthurt they got their ass
kicked by a female, who had good form and shot well on her own merits. Despite having very humble
equipment and using gifted untuned ammunition, and using a Harris bipod not an F specific bipod.
As with many things in life, best thing to do is ignore it and beat them on the target, and smile : )
A win with the lesser equipment of us poors is always sweeter than winning when you have the best money can buy.

This winter we had a couple from England on a shooting trip.
The wife had never shot a firearm
Set her up with some fundamentals at 775 and 1050.
Looking good
Go to 1810, she had some issues with the 338 still but on my 7 saum she hit steel on the third shot.
Females are so nice to instruct, no testicular block.

I see a lot of jealous men when I do group fly casting lessons because the girls advance so much faster.
Anymore I try to separate the men from the women for groups.

I see similar asshat behavior sometimes if I don’t separate them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1moaoff
Since we’re ranting. My favorite is the sponsorship hoppers. “This is the best bullet to hit the market.” A week later they’re testing out a new bullet from a different manufacturer and they deleted all the prior post about the other bullet. Replace bullet in this rant with barrels, brass, scopes, stocks, powder, and so on. That’s just how that team was throughout 2018-2019. Year or so prior to witnessing all this I called up their company about them building me a rifle and asked how their rifle compared to another’s team rifle and they trashed the other team. THEN shortly after was working with said team they were trashing!! Praising their product and innovation and some of their team members. Lmfao.
What a fucking joke.

Hi,

I hope he remembers that and tells everyone else on their KO2M Team that there will be no coaching, no spotting, no helping get rifle setup, etc etc of any kind.

Sincerely,
Theis
Theis i guess your like me you sponsor your self thought of having a shirt made with the companies names that i use their products as we are in the same camp but nothing was free. Just want to let them know i appreciate them and their hard work in working with me

At a recent ELR match I parked next to a jersey shooter. He had all the high end guns and gear and a tad bit on the arrogant side as I listened to him talk to a newbie shooter who parked next to me. Since I was high in the shooting order I took my time getting my gear ready. The more I listened to him lecture this gentleman the more it became apparent he didn't know his ass from a hot rock. Later I was at the line watching and it was his turn to shoot. He couldn't hit shit and left the line cursing. On the flip side there was an older gentleman wearing a T shirt and had suspenders holding up his pants. I believe he was shooting a Savage and cleaned the the second matches targets.

tenor.gif

Very interesting rant by THEIS. Although I'm not a competition shooter, my experience at ranges over the years would say otherwise, and it surprised me to learn selfishness, superiority complex, and the lack of ambassadorship by sponsored shooters existed in the sport. If anything, I would think it would make competitors much closer given the nature of today's anti-gun climate. But I've been wrong before. I would imagine there are many "Jersey" shooters that do not fit THEIS' description, but just there being one can ruin the entire sport. Especially to an outside spectator or an amateur shooter attending for the first time with the potential desire to someday participate. We all know first impressions are everything and subsequent impressions acknowledge first impressions. THEIS' post sounds more like a wake up call to those whom have lost something on the way: integrity, helpfulness, kindness, ambassadorship, humbleness, relationships, politeness, and so many more descriptive words which are all part of our daily lives in everything we do. So why not at a competition? THEIS also makes a very good point with respect to company sponsorship programs. Why would any company allow a sponsored shooter to exhibit unbecoming behavior that could potentially have a negative impact on their company, regardless of the financial impact? Not a good idea.

So, for those of you who may have lost something on the way, consider what THEIS is saying and maybe reevaluate yourself. Improve your sport, not diminish it. Just saying.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis
I’m new here, but does it really require that many people to get set up? I guess what I’m asking is: the people who were sponsored seemed to have a bunch of team members helping get set up? I didn’t pay much attention to others, but it really stood out that so many people had to set up for one person.

I’m new here, but does it really require that many people to get set up? I guess what I’m asking is: the people who were sponsored seemed to have a bunch of team members helping get set up? I didn’t pay much attention to others, but it really stood out that so many people had to set up for one person.
Ummm
You you don’t want to know what they’re doing when nobody is looking.

I have not been to an ELR shoot, but I would guess minimizing setup times would be a big bonus. People helping others keeps the flow going. I have been to enough Fudd shoots with no time limits on anything, the day drags on, sitting on your ass for 4 hours waiting to shoot again is a PIA.

Reactions: 5x5
If you watch closely...they have almost a cult like empty smile and dead eyes when talking about their Profit sponsored shooter mentor. It can get really funny to watch some times.

I have not been to an ELR shoot, but I would guess minimizing setup times would be a big bonus. People helping others keeps the flow going. I have been to enough Fudd shoots with no time limits on anything, the day drags on, sitting on your ass for 4 hours waiting to shoot again is a PIA.
I know when I do ELR I can get the rifle and all necessary items set up pretty damn quick just by myself.

17lbs?...dang....Light Gun class....I can't get mine under 19lbs....as configured...it is a little over 21lbs. I may put two more sets of MDT ACC weights on it to tame the beast a little more when shooting off a bench...in the field and prone...perfect...on a bench at an odd angle because they make me keep my ass in the chair....I need a little more weight.

Every time I ever had to put on a jersey to shoot a match our team finished second and all the other team members blamed me.
Don't even wanna talk about the time the boss's rifle got left on my garage floor when we left headed to a match 1,100 miles away. :devilish:

Me too, lol.
I am not shooting over 3K yards either, plus my rifle weighs under 17 lbs.
Well I am trying for 2700 tomorrow and my rifle does weight over 17 pounds.
Hell of a lot easier to hump that rifle n gear to the line than it was to hump in a 28”x 28”piece of steel, T post and T post driver up to its new home in the mountains of the Tillamook Forest.

The fact of the matter is there are assholes in any sport and just about every match; and they don't have to be wearing a sponsorship jersey. I ran into this in bullseye, Hi-Power, 3-gun and IDPA. What I hate is when the "pros" covertly assist each other during the match but let the first time shooter struggle on their own. IMHO, these cliques are ruining this sport because they deliberately exclude new shooters - thus ensuring that they have a negative experience. I also hate the fact that those who can afford the very best and most expensive of equipment (ie: sponsored shooters) have a very distinct advantage over most other competitors.

That being said, I have been in matches where everyone involved were very friendly, helpful and supportive of everyone else - especially the new shooters. Those venues are the most fun and generally the best ones for beginners to attend. But it is a shame that there will always be those few that will ruin it for the many.

Reactions: jasent
maybe instead of sponsored shooter getting any prizes, since they are sponsored, they only get free publicity and cash reward if their is one and the bottom 20% get first run at the prize table?

I like the way you think. Same crap happens in kayak fishing tournaments. A few “pros” enter every tournament for the day and rule s let them use the same 5 fish to clean out the prizes. We stopped entering and throwing the entry money their way.

Well I am trying for 2700 tomorrow and my rifle does weight over 17 pounds.
Hell of a lot easier to hump that rifle n gear to the line than it was to hump in a 28”x 28”piece of steel, T post and T post driver up to its new home in the mountains of the Tillamook Forest.
How did this go?

to be beaten in an ELR match by a 12 year old girl with pony tails and smacking gum?

I have. We even sang Happy Birthday to her and had cake. 🎂

The gun is the Great Equalizer. It works in anyone's hand who's decided to put the time in. It does not care of who or what you are. It just does.

I'm a very firm believe that "sponsored shooters" are going to ruin this sport, both PRS and ELR. We need to get back to just shooting because we enjoy shooting, not shooting to get a damn prize at the end of the day. Honestly think they should go to a complete random draw for the prize table.

That would make it pretty damn clear who is there to shoot and have a good time, and who is there just to get a prize table walk.

And on that note.... 'They' didn't build their rifle....their gunsmith did.....some even shoot factory ammo....so they didn't do that....and when it comes to dope...they are relying on a kestrel with built in AB...tied to a range finder.....that calculates everything for them. Then simply take the output of the computer supplied dope and dial or hold over to that in their scope......so exactly what magical thing did they do in the process that you didn't?

I'd rather be beaten by a girl than by a mouth breathing neanderthal. I guess I need to read up more....because I can't seem to understand exactly what part of shooting is better for man than a woman? Physical strength? Nope....Mental acuity? You are kidding right? Trigger finger dexterity? Really? Eyesight? Come on. I think it all just boils down to sheer numbers. There are a lot lot more of us than them...and some of us were raised early on to hunt and shoot....but I've met a country girl or two that can definitely out shoot me.

Would I be embarrassed to be beaten in an ELR match by a 12 year old girl with pony tails and smacking gum? No...I'd be in awe of someone with those skills at such an early age...and congratulate them on a well earned win.
I can’t figure it out either. But, it is real- at least to some extent. Lemme explain before I start a gender war. My son is on the shotgun team at his highschool. The team captain is female. The boys and girls practice on the same range for the same amount of time, 3x per week. The boys and girls compete in gender specific divisions. The top scores at the State FFA shoot were higher for the boys than the girls. If my son had identified as a female that day, he would have earned a letter jacket at that shoot...

It’s all part of capitalism/marketing and the market will reward those with best product/value and hopefully keep technology/innovation moving forward, thus best way to cure any issue is with your wallet, if jersey guy sucks don’t buy his product, but don’t let it stop you from shooting

I my limited f class experience (5 yrs) this has never happened, in fact just the opposite,one of the most helpful nicest person I have shot with is a national champion and is somewhat sponsored

Hi, (Industry Flame Suit On)

OK so I am giving advance notice, lol....This thread is a personal/business rant. I intend to point no direct fingers at anyone/any company/etc etc but more of a generalized topic in which maybe, just maybe some conversations will sprout from in that can improve the very subject of this rant.

Jersey Shooters....speaking specifically to ELR genre Jersey Shooters!!!

I just do not get the how and why some of you must act so superior to non Jersey Shooters.
I just do not get the how and why some of you feel the need to assert your knowledge of "what counts and what doesn't count" yet you break safety procedures left and right.
I just do not get the how and why some of you feel as if someone that is not wearing a Jersey somehow is not affiliated and directly connected to not only the ELR shooting genre but to the firearms industry directly.
I just do not get the how and why some of you feel as if a Jersey somehow gives you the right to not be an ambassador to the ELR community; as if the sponsor(s) on your Jersey run the community.
I just do not get the how and why some of you feel as if you should not be concerned as much about the projection of the company names on your Jersey as you are concerned about match placement.

Company Owners aka Sponsors....

Let us be real for a minute, sponsoring a shooter, especially in the ELR genre has pretty much a zero ROI. It is a cost center allocated in your marketing budget, not a revenue generator because the community itself is not large enough in the scheme of things to provide a return on that sponsorship package.
So why in the world would companies allow their sponsored shooters to do anything that hinders the growth of the community?
So why in the world would companies allow their sponsored shooters to do anything that hinders the possibility of other companies joining with yours as a more synergistic sponsorship?
So why in the world are companies not demanding better brand ambassadorship from their shooters wearing Jerseys with their name on it? Every other industry sponsorship packages line that sort of thing out sentence by sentence.

Shooters In General...

You NEVER know who that non jersey wearing person is at the match.
They could be social media managers from a company looking for people to sponsor.
They could be the accounting managers from a company looking for people to sponsor.
They could be the wife of another shooter that is just trying to get his wife more involved aka GROWING the community.

Summation...
NOBODY is shooting PRS and/or ELR competitions for a living, no matter how many names you have on your Jersey; so maybe the industry would grow better IF more people focused on Ambassadorship instead of chasing sponsorship.
The sponsorship's will come to you IF you have the personality and attitude companies seek for their "In House" employees.

Sincerely,
Theis

OK, I'm an ignoramus.

What's a Jersey Shooter?

Someone from New Jersey that shoots ELR? I don't like them already, bluebellies. Ha ha.

Someone that bought a special ELR jersey? Where can I buy mine, as an aspiring ELR?

Do you know how hard it is to find a thousand yard range here in the coastal SC boonies, much less a ELR range???

Give me a break.

Thanks.

OK, I'm an ignoramus.

What's a Jersey Shooter?

Someone from New Jersey that shoots ELR? I don't like them already, bluebellies. Ha ha.

Someone that bought a special ELR jersey? Where can I buy mine, as an aspiring ELR?

Do you know how hard it is to find a thousand yard range here in the coastal SC boonies, much less a ELR range???

Give me a break.

Thanks.
You’ll know when you shoot an elr match. They’re not hard to pick out

Reactions: rottenruger
Will anxiously await that day.........sarc!

Actually, look forward to it. I have a thick skin but a low tolerance for BS. But I collect t-shirts, wonder about adding a joisey?

Thanks!

Reactions: Geno C.
They usually move around in small herds and are always first to grab the front seats and tables at the awards ceremony. The can be seen calculating which items on the prize tables will bring the best return the next day when they list it online.

Grief. Sound like a bunch of dicks. Making a note to myself to behave if I ever get to the prize tables. Grew up on the back pew at church, so front seats at awards will be easy to forego. Your description makes me think of that know-it-all college dude in Goodwill Hunting. Thanks!!!

I'd have to agree with the OP, lots of jersey shooters that aren't there to support the sport, they are there for themselves and themselves alone. I've done a few traveling matches, and more often than not, if they don't know you, they won't help you. I've watched them break down wind, stages, terrain and everything with each other, and if they catch you eavesdropping, they'll turn a shoulder and hush hush. I've also noticed that many of them are clearly self sponsored or sponsored by their friends, as they often can't shoot all that well. I show up in crocs and a t-shirt, with a home built rig and often out shoot many of the jersey shooters. I will admit, though, there are certain teams in my area that choose their shooters based on performance and attitude. they are the goods guys.

I've never knowingly met a Jersey Shooter, but should I I will try to remember to spit a glob on their wingtips or whatever.

Wut ya’all guys got against shooters from Joisey anyway? They can’t help it that their state is just the south side party location for New Yawk City.