• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Raster to Vector help

jonaddis84

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.area419.com
Im trying to draw up an adapter plate for a pachmayr butt pad. I scanned the image and am trying to convert it into something useful for CAD.

I got a free trial of a raster to vector software but it keeps drawing these tiny lines where the noise in the image is.

Can anyone help?

Here is the image file

Thanks

Re: Raster to Vector help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im trying to draw up an adapter plate for a pachmayr butt pad. I scanned the image and am trying to convert it into something useful for CAD.

I got a free trial of a raster to vector software but it keeps drawing these tiny lines where the noise in the image is.

Can anyone help?

Here is the image file

I think I got it. Converted it to EPS (Adobe Ill. File). PM me an email. I will send it to you.

Thanks
</div></div>

When I've done this in the past the best approach that I could make work was do let the software draw all the lines it wants, then manually clean it up in DXF form inside AutoCAD or whatever CAD program you're using.

The other approach that I've successfully used is to take the rasterized image, open in Photoshop, overlay bezier curves manually in a second layer, save that second layer to a new image file, save as a DXF, open in AutoCAD and make small changes as necessary.

Then open in GibbsCAM and create the cutter paths for engraving/contouring/etc.

For me:

Instead of attempting to clean up the image, I just used the general outside shape as a sort of template. Then I use arcs/splines/curves (whatever) to get all of my stuff generated. Save only those features and import it into a new drawing. This gets all the "dirt" out of your drawing and makes generating tool paths much easier. Don't forget to scale it! Jpg/vector/geometry conversions almost always goof the scale.

Another trick is to use a very fine pen/pencil and trace the outside onto paper. Photograph that and do the same. Much less clutter. Get your lighting spot on so that it minimizes the extra crap.

Good luck!

C.