• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors RAT Cutlery Co.

Re: RAT Cutlery Co.

Never owned one..

If you're still shopping, Look into a Fehrman. might not be in the $ range as the RC-5, but several different ones to ponder.

or Bark River.

just some options for comparison.

Thanks. I'll look into those as well. i like the price of the RC-5 and they are American made and also have an unconditional lifetime guarantee. Seems pretty good for the price but I've never seen one in person or known anyone who's used them.

When most knives get together, they often talk about how they really wanted to be a RAT knife, hard working and properly priced and getting used for what they were designed to do.

Knives dream of being used up..worked to destruction, like a RAT.

My wife gave me an RC-3 (Green with Orange G10 handles) for Christmas and I really like it. The reviews on Bladeforums.com are really good. I have not used an RC-5 but it is a very popular knife also.

I wouldn't turn one down. The 1095 steel is easy to keep REALLY sharp.

You may also consider the Bravo-1 from Bark River Knives with the A-2 steel. It is twice the money as the RAT but I am growing VERY fond of the two Barkies I have so far, a Gunny with Osage Orange handles and their new Bravo-Necker. These are my first Convex ground blades and they are VERY strong and VERY easy to maintain a shaving edge with a good leather knife strop.

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

I wouldn't buy it, for less money you could buy one of these and they hold up just fine.

Click on me

Seriously beeski? You use your first post to tell me to buy a 5 dollar knife?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunjunkie45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously beeski? You use your first post to tell me to buy a 5 dollar knife? </div></div>

Sure why not?

It beats spitting huge loogies on the inside of your friends car window when the temp is 40 below.

I had to scrape that off with a razor blade.

hahahaahhahahahahahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunjunkie45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you son of a bitch you got me man! welcome to the hide! </div></div>

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beeski</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunjunkie45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you son of a bitch you got me man! welcome to the hide! </div></div>

smile.gif

_MG_0100.jpg
</div></div>

you're lucky i gave you that dog.

So anyway...I have an RC5 and love it. It may not be for everyone though. It is a very heavy, bulky blade, and if weight, and such is a big concern, I would look elsewhere.(A RAT RC4, or 6 perhaps if you like what RAT has to offer) If not, and heavy-duty chopping, hacking and general knifechores of the stouter variety are the order of the day, I'd say go for it.

I did notice the prices have gone up a fair piece recently though. I got mine awhile back complete with the nice Eagle sheath for about $130 shipped. They apear to be more in the $160 range now, with kydex sheath(which is still nice) before shipping. Just something to consider.

Thanks Fritz. Weight isn't an issue for me and heavy duty chopping and so forth is what I had in mind. I think I'm gonna go for it.

I've been looking at an RC3 or RC4 for a general purpose knife. Skinning, camping, etc...

Anybody have the RC3 or RC4?

i have one and like it. the blade is easy to maintain, incredibly durable (check out the knifereviews page), and priced well below the competition that it IMHO beats. if you need a sexy high speed steel look elsewhere, but the heat treatment on the 1095 yields a great blade.

rats are great knives for the money and they have one of the best warranties in the business period. get one and use the shit out of it. one thing i will say is you when your done really using it make sure you clean it off and put some oil on it as the blades will rust if you don't.

again great knives

Hands down favorite fixed blades;

RAT-3 (older version of the RC-3)
RC-4
Greco MST (RC-5 would be a close 2nd)

Great knife, especially for the price. You'd have to pay a lot more to get much improvement (Fehrman, Busse, etc @ 2x or more in price).

b

For the price I'd take a serious look at the bark river bravo 1.

I've put mine through hell. It just begs for more!

I have an RC5 and love it. I have a lot of blades that are much more expensive and honestly like the rat just as much. IMO rat and tops Knifes are the two best made for the price. Other then my busse holding a edge longer due to the infi steel, I would say the rat gets the job done just as well for a hell of a lot less money.

I have a rat 4 and love the knife. I also have the 5.11 tanto and think it is a great knife also. IMHO buy what you want or youll never be happy.

can anyone school me on the difference between RAT knives and Ontario Rat knives?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can anyone school me on the difference between RAT knives and Ontario Rat knives? </div></div>

Briefly, as far as I understand it - Ontario manufactured the original RAT knives for Jeff Randall(ie, the "R" in RAT)who designed the knives. At some point several years back, Randall split-off to start his own company RAT Cutlery, with the knives now manufactured for him by the Rowan Co.

The knives are similar in appearance and even materials, with some minor differences in fit/finish(depending who you ask), but each line Ontario/RAT Cutlery respectively, offer their own models/blades that the other does not. Both are really solid knives for the money IMHO.

I don't honestly know if the break between companies was altogether amicable, or what the whole deal is there. Check out the RAT Cutlery subforum on "Blade Forums" for more info and tons of feedback on RAT knives.

I have a 5 and love it. Batoned a lot of kindling with it, butchered deer and lamb, its taken everything I could throw at it and then some. They are a little heavy, but balanced well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 5 and love it. Batoned a lot of kindling with it, butchered deer and lamb, its taken everything I could throw at it and then some. They are a little heavy, but balanced well. </div></div>

Me too. Great knife for batoning kindling. Definitely a sharpened prybar style of knife. You could pry a car door open with this thing.