• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rate .300WM brass for me

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Can anyone give me a good rating on the (best to worst) brass to use for the .300WM for reloading?

From best to worst.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ex.</span>
1. Lapua
2. RWS

Re: Rate .300WM brass for me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone give me a good rating on the (best to worst) brass to use for the .300WM for reloading?

From best to worst.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ex.</span>
1. Lapua <span style="color: #FF0000">expensive if you can find it </span>
2. RWS
12. </div></div>

I just use Win brass. They are fine and cheaper than RWS, or Lapua.

I just bought some Winchester brass in 300 win mag. I have loaded about 50 at this point. I tossed one damagmed at the neck and broke a decap pin due to an off center flash hole. I have not used other brands yet.

We shoot 2 300wm/5r's and only use Lapua brass. Hard to get but worth any price! Have some RWS in stock just incase.

Norma I would probally rate about 3rd but sometimes run
a little soft.

I bought a whole bunch of Winchester 300WM brass years ago and still use it. Works very well.

I didn't think Lapua even made 300WM anymore. I used to have some too but it didn't give any accuracy difference over the Winchester so why pay 3 times as much?

Federal has been very good for me despite being a little on the soft side.

I have some older Nosler which is now at end of life that was outstanding and according to the rep at Nosler made for them by Norma. The new stuff? I've "heard" varying reports and when i called Nosler they were very coy about who makes their brass now.

I bought quite a bit of Win. brass during the "OMFG! Obama is going to take our guns!".. insanity. It was the only 300WM brass I could get my hands on. They must have sent QC home for that lot. The necks were out of round .011 on one side .0175 on the other. They also did not seem to be fully annealed, as seating tension varied greatly. A lot of brass prep and an annealing later, they finally shoot great.

John

I found a very large amount of Lapua at an estate sale a few years ago. I sold 2 boxes the other day for $250 each. The way the guy acted I think I let it go to cheap. He wants more if I will let him have it for the same price. Im still using what Winchester I have then maybe try the good stuff.

<span style="font-weight: bold">How does Remington .300WM brass rate?</span>

I got 100pcs (what was left) for a really good price when my local gun store had a big sale.

It looks like Winchester is the best/easy way to go for .300WM brass. I wish Lapua still made it for the .300WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">How does Remington .300WM brass rate?</span>

I got 100pcs (what was left) for a really good price when my local gun store had a big sale.

It looks like Winchester is the best/easy way to go for .300WM brass. I wish Lapua still made it for the .300WM. </div></div>

I've used Remington for the last couple of years and I think it holds up fairly well. I retired the last lot after 6 reloadings and when I examined and split a couple of cases found next to no stretching above the belt.

I shall use the current lot until I get the rifle re-barrelled then I'll start on the Lapua I just found for a bargain price! ($70 / 100)

I've been using Hornady with good results. You can buy it either as brass, or loaded ammo for the brass. Seems more consistent than the Win brass I had. Wish I could find some Lapua.