• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ray Bans??

bobtodrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2010
So, I've just received a pair of Ray Ban Aviator glasses from my sons for my birthday.
Just wondering.
They've glass lenses. I'm a little concerned about using them for shooting (which is what they purchased them for).
Glass shards in the eye doesn't sit well with me.
Can't really find any info when I google, 'cause when I do so all the results I get are for poly lensed glasses.
Opinions please.

If safety is the priority for glasses, at least start with a pair that pass the ANSI Z87.1 standard...

Opinions please.
As mentioned, you want shooting glasses to meet or exceed ANSI Z87.1 requirements. Some of the Ray Ban models do meet this requirement so you might be in luck. If not you can probably swap them out for a pair that does. There was a time when they were the "gold standard" in stylish eye protection but they now have quite a bit of competition. In any event they are really nice gift, Happy Birthday!

As mentioned, you want shooting glasses to meet or exceed ANSI Z87.1 requirements. Some of the Ray Ban models do meet this requirement so you might be in luck. If not you can probably swap them out for a pair that does. There was a time when they were the "gold standard" in stylish eye protection but they now have quite a bit of competition. In any event they are really nice gift, Happy Birthday!

I think I'll just use them for driving as such. Can't really find a lot of info in regards to their impact resistance. My son's are 10 and 13 and these took a fair chunk out of their allowance savings so there's now way I'd trade them for something else ;-)

I think I'll just use them for driving as such. Can't really find a lot of info in regards to their impact resistance. My son's are 10 and 13 and these took a fair chunk out of their allowance savings so there's now way I'd trade them for something else ;-)

You have awesome boys, good job. My oldest (3) will only share his Chick-fil-a strips with me if I promise to read him no less than 3 books at bedtime...

As said, good boys! While I didn't get my Ray's as a gift,I love them for driving. EH, You are suppose to train the children, not they train you. ;)

As said, good boys! While I didn't get my Ray's as a gift,I love them for driving. EH, You are suppose to train the children, not they train you. ;)

I know, but the kid's too damn smart. I was putting together a Radio Flyer buggy with him and teaching him how to follow the instructions and what each component's called. I was putting a wheel together when the little bugger said, "Hey, you forgot the washer..."

He was right. I was unbelievably proud and totally crushed at the same time.... :)

Don't care what the current fashion is . . . Ray-Ban aviator sunglasses are STILL THE COOLEST SUNGLASSES EVER!!!!

None of us Army helicopter pilots in Viet Nam would be caught dead without our Ray-Bans.

Oakley are an excellent choice for ballistic eyeware. They have the "cross hair" and "cross hair 2.0" which are both aviator style glasses with ballistic lenses and specifically designed for shooting use. Additionally, they have a plethora a of other glasses that meet the same standards. They are widely used by military and police for that reason.

If you are a veteran, active/reserve duty, or police they have the "Standard Issue Program" which is a hefty discount system/website.

They have me trained, all right.
A few years back my sons each received a Red Ryder for Christmas...their first guns (they were 8 & 5 at the time).
The following summer we were shooting at some tin cans...theirs were set up at about 20' and mine were at 30yds (I was shooting a pellet gun).
They started telling me that after we were finished shooting they wanted to go to a toy store and I told them they had enough toys.
They kept bugging me (particularly the 8 year old) so I told him if he could hit my tin can with his Red Ryder on the first shot we'd go to the toy store.
Figured I was pretty safe...30yds is a loooong way for a Red Ryder.
Well...he took aim, the barrel was dancing around, he pulled the trigger and a full second later there was a little 'ping' and the can moved about 6"
Cost me $30 at the toy store!!

Here are my priorities when selecting eyewear for shooting sports:

1. ANSI Z87.1 protection
2. Lens material that supports crisp image -- trivex, with polycarbonate second best
3. Good air circulation around lenses to avoid fogging. I avoid tight wrapped lenses here in the PNW for this reason, but maybe in the desert they would be ok.
4. Looks

American-Optical-Original-Pilot-for-Duluth-Trading-Company-Gear-Patrol-.jpg

For anyone interested in Ray ban Aviators, look into the American Optics "pilot".

Genuine air force and NASA issue, American made, $45, very similar styling to Ray Ban, but a little more squared off. The Ray bans are actually copies of these.

Last edited:
View attachment 38824

For anyone interested in Ray ban Aviators, look into the American Optics "pilot".

The Ray bans are actually copies of these.

No, they aren't. The Ray Ban Aviators date back to 1936 and were used/worn during WWII, with Gen. MacArthur being the most famous to be known for them during that period. The AO Flight Goggle 58 (now called the "Pilot") didn't come along until 1958.

To the OP, I wear Ray Ban Aviators for just about everything...except shooting. As a pilot, I really like the clarity and color neutrality of the G-15 lenses, and the small-diameter cable temples fit underneath headsets well without disturbing the seal around the ear that keeps cockpit noise out. They are supposedly made of impact-resistent, tempered glass, and I used to use them for my shooting glasses as well. Then one day I dropped a pair off my workbench and they landed face-down on a concrete floor. The left lens, which hit slightly ahead of the right, SHATTERED into tiny, long, sharp pieces that radiated out from the center - much like the "rays" of a Japanese rising-sun flag. At that point I figured it was time to find something else to shoot in.

Last edited:
VH20 is correct. My Dad wore his aviators, from WWII, until his death. I started wearing the shooting glasses in the 60's and have ever since. The case for my Dad's glasses is almost identical to my cases but the frames are silver without the gold wash. Both Aviators and shooting glasses were available in a large and small lens. I wore the AO glasses in RVN. They were not issue for us but occasionally showed up at in-country PXs.

The advantage to RayBans is the optical quality. The disadvantage is that they don't meet ANSI requirements though they were advertised as impact resistant.

[MENTION=77110]vh20[/MENTION]

Thanks for the correction! Didn't realize the aviator went back that far!

I've had both aviator and pilot and can't say I've seen an optical quality difference between them, but I've never had them side by side.

AO were the issued sunglasses back when I was in flight school. Couldn't wear Ray-Bans until after graduation or you'd get written up. Some nonsense about if one had an accident and it was proven to be as a result of misjudgement due to eye/sun protection and the pilot was wearing other than issue sunglasses, the pilot could be found to be at fault.

Horse hockey . . . . !!!

Just sayin' . . . .

Quarter Horse,
I have a pair of Bausch and Lomb (parent company of Ray Ban) shooting glasses as well, with yellow lenses. I've had them for over 30 years. As you say, they are almost identical to the Ray Ban Aviators, and since they are made by the same company it makes one wonder if there is any difference in protection. I would not like to be wearing Aviators if something serious came flying at them. I don't wear the B&L Shooting glasses anymore either, just because they are glass. I think some kind of poly-type lenses that are ANSI top-rated are the way to go for shooting.

I still have my dad's Ray Bans he bought on board a troop transport to New Guinea during WW II, He paid about 1.50$ for them.

Ray-Ban lenses WERE produced by Bausch&Lomb, when Ray-Bans WERE American made_ around 15 years ago, more or less, Ray-Ban brand was buyed by an italian businessman of our national google's industry, mr.Del Vecchio_ now they are entirely another thing than the real Mc Coy, deeply differing about lenses finish and quality, shape &materials of the various wire-frame models, etc._ I've buyed and weared Ray-Ban sunglasses only since the late '60s: whatever the adverising could write, at today they aren't Ray-Ban anymore : they have the Ray-Ban logo only_ period_

Last edited:
Ray-Ban lenses WERE produced by Bausch&Lomb, when Ray-Bans WERE American made_ around 15 years ago, more or less, Ray-Ban brand was buyed by an italian businessman of our national google's industry, mr.Del Vecchio_ now they are entirely another thing than the real Mc Coy, deeply differing about lenses finish and quality, shape &materials of the various wire-frame models, etc._ I've buyed and weared Ray-Ban sunglasses only since the late '60s: whatever the adverising could write, at today they aren't Ray-Ban anymore : they have the Ray-Ban logo only_ period_

Yep, this is true. In my previous post, I was referring to the 30+ year-old B&L shooting glasses, as well as the pair of Ray Bans I shattered on the floor, which were also an older, B&L product. However, as you say, my current Ray Ban Aviators (about 6 mos. old) are made by Luxotica, and are indeed made in Italy. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Back in the 1990's,we shot a lot of bowling pins. Usually a 255gr. 45 LCD bullet over a healthy charge of ww231. Wearing my ray ban shooting glasses, I touched of a round,which either blew (possibility) or the shell came back and impacted the right lens, shattering it. My shooting partner cleaned off the multiple shards from my closed eye. Since then I only shoot with ballistic proof plastic protecting me.

I still wear a pair of large lens shooting glasses in green (G-96?), a similar pair with amber gradient lenses and a pair of small lens yellows I used to shoot trap under lights. I guess I better suck it up and buy a pair of ANSI approved shooting glasses but I refuse to wear cargo pants, ever.

vh20, if your screen name refers to Parker Bros. I understand your preference in sunglasses.

vh20, if your screen name refers to Parker Bros. I understand your preference in sunglasses.

You are an astute observer! I grew up with a Parker VH20 ever since I was 8, when it was handed down to me from my great uncle. I have 7 Parkers today, some much nicer, but that is still my favorite to shoot. It swings like a little magic wand, and feels like a trusted old friend.

Having said that, your own screen name strikes a chord in me as well - grew up on a cattle farm, used to take our cross-trained work/roping horses and hit every jackpot team-roping we could manage throughout high school and college. Went to vet school and became a veterinarian, and practiced both large and small animal medicine for several years before economic circumstances forced me to stick to small animal practice. Still, I sure love me a good quarter horse with some natural cow sense bred in.

Cheers!

I recently gifted my RB original aviators to my daughter. The ones with the circle on the bridge of the nose. Paid 30.00 for them in the PX in subic Bay PI, in 1976/77. Seems like anybody except the USAF were we reign the RB aviators. " EP-3As were my platform.

Right out of the Navy 83, I purchased RB wayfarers for my wife, daughter son and me. Still have all four pairs, AND four pair of our original Varnets. I also recently found my first pair of tortoise shell colored frame Varnets in a box I had stored. Purchased those in 72 for 19.00.

It's interesting, as I age, I find myself returning to those small things like sunglasses and now Albums and turn tables.