• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rayners Match March 27 2011

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
One word to describe the match today. TOUGH..... The wind today made for some very interesting results and match conditions. It would change speed and direction in a matter of seconds so what might of worked for your last shot was that many MOA off the other direction.

I think scores overall were quite a bit lower today, not sure if we learned anything today other than Mother Nature is always in control and occasionally we can guess what she's thinking and make a hit.

Had fun and a great turnout, I think 52 shooters showed up to brave the weather. It was supposed to be snowing in the morning but that missed us and the sun cam out and made for a decent day.

Me and my son got to try out our new Vortex Viper PST scopes on our short guns and I'd have to say it is a great improvement over our pistol scopes from last year. A whole lot easier to see the targets and make adjustments instead of holding off. I wish it would of been better conditions to give them a better first match but I'm very happy so far..... I wonder how many NF and high end scopes these "cheapies" managed to keep up with today
smile.gif

Thanks to Tom and Mrs Tom for a great place to shoot and good food.

Topstrap

Re: Rayners Match March 27 2011

I had a great time today despite the wind being EVIL!!!

Nice to see some new faces. Toms talking about putting in a time limit to help move the shooters through which will be a nice addition. We timed our shooters (4 at a time) and found each station was taking about 7 minutes. We need to do something to help move the crowds a little faster. I fully expect to see 60 + showing up when the weather gets nicer. We fed and moved all 50 or 52 through the course of fire and finished a little after 4:30.

Thanks Tom and Mrs Tom for a great day. See you all for the sniper match on April 9 - 10.

yeah, the wind was nasty. my face is wind burnt. I'm one of the new faces and had a great time despite the weather. this was only the second time at rayner's and my score was much worse than last month. I'm going to blame the wind on my score. I hope to learn more throughout this season.

I want to thank the rayners for a place to shoot and for the food, especially the pie. hey, topstrap, thanks for letting me shoot your pistol. too bad I wasn't skilled enough to hit the 1000yrd steel.

As stated before Wind was nasty, hospitality was excellent, and facility was excellent. I reset my turret for a 300 yard zero and thought I had it set for a 100 yard zero so my first 12 rounds I pretty much threw away. However after I reset my turret it was a whole other ballgame uptop. I LOVE my new caliber, now if I could only straighten out that loose nut behind the trigger I'd be set. Also I did manage to improve my score even with my moment of insanity. I'm anxious to see the over all results because there was definately some high quality rigs and shooters at the competition this month.

Unfortionatly we have a two month wait until the next Rayners normal event.

Good luck,
Merritt

What a crowd 51 , the wind was awful , the shooting was great. The pistol boys had quite a battle today,not up to are usual standards, did I say the wind was awful , but it was the same for all,''sometimes''.Tom and Carolyn put on a great match . I just see the attendance getting larger ?

Man, what a day for battling the wind. The lucky shooters had the wind remain constant for 3 shots at best. Sure made me wish for bigger bullets!! Thanks to everyone helping to keep the match rolling smoothly. Getting set up quickly into position and out when done really helps move things along when there are 16-18 shooters on a squad.

Thanks to the Rayner's for a good day of shooting and a great range that keeps on getting better. It's nice to see some of the proceeds going to range improvements like the new limestone going up the hill. That will be very beneficial on the days when things are a little damp.

See you all in a couple weeks at the Sniper Challenge or in May.

Dennis Casanova, no problem on shooting the gun. You were just barely missing it even in that wind. You probably had to listen to your buddy all the way home after he rang it though
smile.gif
We'll have them next month and you can try again.

Everyone will tell you it don't take skill to hit anything with those short things anyway, just lots of luck.

Nice meeting you all, look forward to shooting with you next match.

March Match Results

Chris Rensi (338 Lapua) 295 O
Dan Wolfe (260) 260 O
Stephen Kidwell (6.5x284) 245 O
Steve Toth (300WM) 245 O
Dave Arbenz (6.5x284) 235 O
Jim Bragg (6.5x284) 235 O
David Preston ( ? ) 235 O
Joseph Wesley (6mm AI) 230 O
Aaron Addy (308) 225 O
Mike Scott (7mm-08) 225 O
Jim Ashcroft (243 AI) 220 O
Bob Fellows (6 BR) 215 O
Jim Elk (22-250) 210 O
Dennis Kirkpatrick (260) 210 H
Brenda Wolfe (308) 210 O
Dale Taylor (260) 205 H
Tom Rayner (7mm) 200 O
Tom West (243) 200 O
Chris Kirkpatrick (260) 195 H
John Miller (308) 195 O
Hollie Michael (6.5 cr.) 190 O
Tom Myers ( ? ) 190 O
Todd Smith (6BR) 185 O
Zac Coffing (243) 180 O
Chris Michael (308) 180 O
Dave Ostrowske (308) 170 O
Merritt Roseberry (7mm-08)170 O
Jesse Rayner (308) 160 O
Josey Rayner (280) 160 O
Dennis Casanova 155 O
Austin Roseberry (7mm-08) 155 O
Mark Armstrong (223) 150 O
Everett Holbrook (223) 145 O
Travis Parks (6.5x47) 140 O
Matt Pulley (308) 140 O
Dan Connell (6BR) 125 O
Rick Geraci (308) 125 O
Jim Lockary (308 AI) 125 O
Tom Steelsmith (308) 125 O
Dave Callipare (260) 120 O
Randy Hollobaugh (308) 120 O
Ed Gudgel (204) 115 O
Brian Miller (308) 115 O
Lynn Miller 223 AI) 105 O
Jeff Mosley (223) 100 O
Danie Wolfe (308) 100 O
Joseph Melcher (308) 95 O
Danny Armstrong (223) 90 O
Mike Cooper (30-06) 55 M
Terry Vineyard (223) 30 O
Becca Vineyard (223) 25 O

Topstrap

My face is a little red from the sun and wind but very happy with the results. My second competition and tied for 3rd with some very good shooters in the mix. Must be a little beginners luck mixed with some tough conditions.

I've been checking the ranges website all day for results. I have been on snipershide all day. Just by luck I looked it up this evening and found it on here. Great turn out thanks again to the Rayners for their hospitality! wind was a handfull but those 300 gr. sure helped.

Is that you Chris? Ya did good ! You didn't tell anyone that when you got ready to shoot the wind suddenly stopped and all was still until you were done then it picked up and made up for lost time with huge gusts?

You earned the win in that wind fer sure. Bigger is better most of the time, whatever wind you cranked in we needed 3 times that.

Topstrap

Thanks and Thank You for posting the results. I woke up and decided not to shoot. Then when I couldnt get back to sleep decided to shoot. I am glad I came and I was just having one of those days. I did have two lucky shots that really helped me out. without the 20 pointer at 500 and the 20 pointer at 600 I wouldnt have faired as well. The best lesson I learned dont come to the shoot with a clean gun!