• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rayners May LR Rifle Match *OHIO*

Goin'Hot

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
Central, Ohio
Well, the time is fast approaching. May 23rd (4th Sunday of every month) come on down to Rayners to shoot some steel out to 900 yards. If you've not made it out this year, shame on you.

Still $10 and still fun!

Directions and such found HERE

Re: Rayners May LR Rifle Match

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ( last Sunday of the month)</div></div>

next to last ...... last Sunday (30th) is Multigun if anyone wants to have some real fun

Re: Rayners May LR Rifle Match

Time flies when you're having fun I guess. It seems like I just drove home from there.....

Re: Rayners May LR Rifle Match *OHIO*

I've been sorting and polishing my watermelon seeds. Found a good matched batch of the rare shorties with the pointy tips and should be good to go.

Topstrap

Currently there are 4 shooting positions. Each position has 2 targets to engage and each position has two benches. You can either shoot from the benches or prone.

Target sizes range from 2"x4" up to 18"x32" and the target size that you engage determines the point value you are awarded per hit. You take 3 shots at each target and are scored based on hits.

Distance ranges from 200 - 900 yards. We currently shoot two groups at a time and he is thinking of putting in two more stations to allow 3 groups to shoot at one time.

<span style="font-weight: bold">THIS MATCH WILL HAPPEN RAIN OR SHINE!!!!!</span>

kyreloader

If you are coming from Ky and go through Chillicothe in Ohio let me know I'll save you some gas.

Here is another description of the course of fire, target options and point values.

I'll go by what we do in the summer months with dry weather when we all can get up on top of the hill. Shooters split up into 2 groups. One will go to positon one and the other to position 2 which is really only about 50 yards apart but shooting in different directions. Position one has a 200 and a 500 yard target. You get 3 shots at each distance. All 3 hits count towards points. At 200 yards it is a small 2 1/2" x 5" rectangle target.

At the 500 yard target there is a full size IPSC (worth 5 points), 15" round circle (worth 10 points) and a small (8" x 13") IPSC target worth 15 points and a 2" x 4" rectangle worth 20 points. Up to you which you wish to shoot at and take the easy way out on a big target with small points or go big and shoot the wee bitty target worth big points and a possible miss.

Postion two has another small IPSC target at 300 yards and a 15" round circle at 400 yards. Same deal, 3 shots at each distance for score. All these are also worth 10 points each.

Then a break for lunch usually happens and then everyone heads up to top of the hill for the 600 and 900 at one position and the 640 and 711 yard targets at another position facing the opposite side of the hill. The 600 and 900 also give you target choices. The 600 yard gives you a full size IPSC worth 5 points, a 15" circle worth 10 points and a small IPSC worth 15 points. The 900 yard target gives you the same options and point values as the 500 yard target. They are actually the same set of targets just shot a lot further away. The 640 and 711 yard targets are both 15" circles worth 10 points each.

There are benches at each location but many tactical guys like to do it in the dirt and do the prone thing. Up to you what you wish to do.

Great fun match and very challenging and is in natural settings with various lighting and wind conditions. Right now 24 rounds will do you for the official match. Bring at least 50 so you can stick around afterwards on top of the hill and poke at that lil 2" x 4" 900 yarder for bragging rights.

Topstrap

Will be for me tomorrow
smile.gif
Made a couple tweaks to the mount and need to double check before Sunday. That 711 has been giving me fits and those 30 points would sure help.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will be for me tomorrow
smile.gif
Made a couple tweaks to the mount and need to double check before Sunday. That 711 has been giving me fits and those 30 points would sure help.

Topstrap </div></div>

You just hit the smallest friggin plate on the course at 800 yards a few weeks ago. What's left to tweak??? Oh, I get it .... you want to hit it in the middle
grin.gif

So far it looks like we may be able to shoot without the canopies this time around. That would be nice.

Wait till you see what he breaks out for show & tell and shoot this Sunday

I think it gets easier when you don't have all that extra barrel length hanging out there getting in the way and that thing wedged against your shoulder.

Sometimes ya just get lucky at the right time.
smile.gif

Topstrap

With the great weather thats forcast for Sunday,finally,I bet we set a new record for attendance ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dale Taylor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the great weather thats forcast for Sunday,finally,I bet we set a new record for attendance ? </div></div>

I like seeing new faces, but if it gets much more populated we're going to have to figure out a way to use 3 squads. I think 15 to a squad is plenty, but when 40+ shooters show up it makes for a long time in between shots. I know Tom's talked about it, but other ideas wouldn't hurt anything.

It's called social time.

We could each receive a bag of peanuts when we sign up and toss the shells at the person shooting for entertainment. Just how focused can you be?

In all seriousness though ya might step up to share in spotting time for the other shooters. It helps to be a better shooter if you also can be a good spotter. Learning to judge distances based on size of targets at the distances and to call them accurately will help you know what to hold when you're told what your miss was.

I'm slowly learning MOA/MIL/IPHY and my personal favorite MOP (minute of plate).

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dale Taylor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the great weather thats forcast for Sunday,finally,I bet we set a new record for attendance ? </div></div>

I like seeing new faces, but if it gets much more populated we're going to have to figure out a way to use 3 squads. I think 15 to a squad is plenty, but when 40+ shooters show up it makes for a long time in between shots. I know Tom's talked about it, but other ideas wouldn't hurt anything. </div></div>

When you start getting to many people and you have to much standing around time (social time) people stop coming and I dont think anyone wants that. But the wait time is making me think about where I want to be Sunday.
Just saying
Wayde

Do you have any pay backs? Or do guys just line up and shoot steel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharp Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have any pay backs? Or do guys just line up and shoot steel? </div></div>
No payback ..... for $10 you just show up and shoot for bragging rights. You don't really just line up .... there is a match procedure and scores are posted.

No one ever told me about the bragging rights. Guess they tell ya when you do well enough to earn them?

Fun match, very challenging and even the hotdogs taste good at lunch break.

Topstrap

Well, this picture gets most of the shooters in from todays Rayners Match. 44 Total (we didn't have time to get all the rifles in for the pic.)

2010-05-23133109-1.jpg

I don't know how to add pointers and text but, this is where the 630 & 710 yard targets are located.

2010-05-23155633.jpg

600 & 900 through this opening

2010-05-23150136.jpg

Where 300 & 400 yard target are shot from

2010-05-23123218-1.jpg

Chillin ....................

2010-05-23153439.jpg

2010-05-23123200.jpg

On top of the hill

2010-05-23153127.jpg

2010-05-23153156.jpg

Mirage was getting bad. This is my first attempt at a through the spotter photo. This is at 600 yds. Left white target is 2x4" (20 pts), medium white is 8x11" (15 pts), orange is 15" (10 pts), black is ~18x32" (5 pts)

2010-05-23150057.jpg

Wow..44 shooters! That's incredible guys, must be doing something right. Woulda been 45, but the weather on the lake was way to nice today and the kids and the wife are way before shooting these days. One of these days, a weekend off will line up with non-boating weather that will coincide with a match at Rayners and I'll be there. Now if I can just make the stars align to make the World Open at Williamsport again this year. Talk about a smooth match and the prize table reaches down into about a gazillionth place too.

Later
Rob

Had a great time today. Super turnout and nice weather for a change.

Congratulations Dave Arbenz for being todays winner with a 215. Also great shooting Dale with that 190 with a pistol. Without those 200 and 300 yard misses you'd have given Dave a run for his money today. Ya didn't let me keep that high pistol score for very long.
smile.gif

Somehow between last Thursday and today I forgot how to shoot mine. How much are your classes again? Also wanted to say good shooting to my son for cleaning all 6 shots on the 630 and 711 yard targets with his 7-08 XP pistol. Maybe I should get him to give me free lessons in trade.

Always next month but for now after my tweaking sesson on Thursday and hitting everything it pointed at to todays dismal showing I'm going to detweak and eat some humble pie.... lots of it.

Great time today chatting with everyone and seeing some really nice equipment. Seems the conditions played havoc with quite a few although it looked like the perfect shooting day. Live and learn and don't let the pretty face fool ya, evil lurks everywhere.

Till next month or the next shoot we meet at again, shoot straight.

Topstrap

Tom said the blue canopie in the pics above was donated by a couple of shooters. Thanks Dale and Dennis.

It was Dales idea initially and my son and Dave Calipare also chipped in on it.

Topstrap