• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rayner's monthly Steel Match July 24 Blue Rock, OH

mscott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Ohio
That time's creeping up on us again, so get your ammo loaded. Directions, match scores, etc an be found at Rayner's web site . Match registration 9:00 and shooting starts at 10:00 with a shooter's meeting in between. Match fee is $20 for the day. You'll need 36 rounds to complete the match. Targets are from 235 yards out to 1,000. We'll break for lunch after the first 3 stations and then finish afterwards. Sandwiches, snacks, drinks, and desserts are available to purchase at the shop if you wish. In an effort to keep the match rolling we'll be using timers this month, so you'll get 2 minutes to fire your 3 shots at each target or targets. Match will happen rain or shine, so mark your calendars. Hope to see you there!!!

Re: Rayner's monthly Steel Match May 22 Blue Rock, OH

Nice to keep things moving along but I sure hope it don't turn into a timed tactical match that the single shots are hard pressed to keep up with.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice to keep things moving along but I sure hope it don't turn into a timed tactical match that the single shots are hard pressed to keep up with.

Topstrap </div></div>

Naaaaa, my rifle is a single shot and I even shot the Sniper Challenge with a single shot. We timed everyone on our squad last match and 2 minutes is plenty of time.

Is there a limit to the number of shooters?, been to tvp once would like to come out and check out Rayner's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a limit to the number of shooters?, been to tvp once would like to come out and check out Rayner's. </div></div>

No pre-registration required for the monthly matches. Come on out and play
grin.gif

Don't be afraid to come out with your gun even if it has open sights. We've seen some pretty amazing shots during the matches with open sights. You definately will need to have good eyesight but there are plenty of 15" targets at some of the stations that you will be able to see clearly. The targets are really small at 234 and 300 but beyond that they are usually 15" circles or larger IPSC style targets to shoot at.

You'll have a blast and you might surprise yourself. If nothing else you'll see what everyone else is using and get some ideas on what scope you may like. We just put Vortex 4-16x50 on our two guns and you'd be welcome to look thru them and even shoot them after the match. Most everyone will be glad to offer help or ideas on equipment they use at the long range shoots.

Don't let your lack of equipment keep you away though, we all started off with very humble stuff (we still do) but it's not always the best equipment that does well.

Topstrap

never been to rayners would like to come and shoot, headed in for back surgery today to correct a bad spot in my thorasic area so i should be in better shape to shoot. how are the old decrepid guys like me allowed to shoot. i can only shoot from a bench or tripod sitting. i used my portable bench at tvp on the short course last time. let me know guys
terry

2 benches are provided at each station for your shooting pleasure. It is the shooters choice as to wether you shoot prone or from the bench. You'll be able to drive within 50 yards or so of the benches, so you should be in good shape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't be afraid to come out with your gun even if it has open sights. We've seen some pretty amazing shots during the matches with open sights. You definately will need to have good eyesight but there are plenty of 15" targets at some of the stations that you will be able to see clearly. The targets are really small at 234 and 300 but beyond that they are usually 15" circles or larger IPSC style targets to shoot at.

You'll have a blast and you might surprise yourself. If nothing else you'll see what everyone else is using and get some ideas on what scope you may like. We just put Vortex 4-16x50 on our two guns and you'd be welcome to look thru them and even shoot them after the match. Most everyone will be glad to offer help or ideas on equipment they use at the long range shoots.

Don't let your lack of equipment keep you away though, we all started off with very humble stuff (we still do) but it's not always the best equipment that does well.

Topstrap </div></div>

I came to my first match a year ago with a stock stevens 200 and vortex crossfire sitting ontop of it. I have since modified her into the rig you see in my signature. No one will turn their nose up at you unless you come in there and think you know it all. There are good shooters that will help you alot and good spotters.

Good luck,
Merritt

This year was my first in long range comps and I shoot a stock Remmy 700 SPS with a 20" barrel. I found everyone very helpful getting you on the target. My first comp I had an awesome spotter that got me right on target. Anyway, my buddy and I went to Rayner's today to gather some data. While there I ended up getting a nice sunburn. I decided to bring along my AR15 with a 24" varmint barrel and was consistently banging the 770 steel. At 900, I was all over the place...lol. I think I might be using my AR in the next match if I can get out of work...

Dennis

Just got back from a pistol match at Rayner's and now that everything has greened up the targets stand out nicely. Turned out to be a nice day and there were even a few guys getting some practice rounds in. Looking foreward to next week.

This looks like it will be a fun shoot. I so badly want to come. However, it is on the same day as Ft. Harmar's IDPA match. This creates such a dilemma.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This looks like it will be a fun shoot. I so badly want to come. However, it is on the same day as Ft. Harmar's IDPA match. This creates such a dilemma. </div></div>
I struggle which way to go on some of these matches as well. USPSA is a lot of fun, but so is rifle shooting. Rayner's also has USPSA pistol matches on the 3rd Sunday of the month. If you want it all there is a Multigun match in Circleville on June 5th.
smile.gif

Here's the video Topstrap posted in another thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwE70ihOYIk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This looks like it will be a fun shoot. I so badly want to come. However, it is on the same day as Ft. Harmar's IDPA match. This creates such a dilemma. </div></div>
If I have to choose, I default to working on my rifle skills.

First time there, great place, prone or bench, got my azz handed to me lol. Need a better drop chart, sunscreen and had a great time thanks.

The scores are posted to the website somehow I lost 20 points from my score card to the results page. I think Josey just didn't want me to beat him. I smell foul play. ;-)

Good luck,
Merritt

SCORES

I tried to bribe Carolyn to change the name beside my score to Dale T so nobody would wonder who that newbie was that shot so bad.

No excuses... just a day that could of easily doubled my score with 1" and 2" misses. Maybe next match will make up for it.
smile.gif

Had fun anyway, that's mainly what it's about although it is nice to occasionally hear that distant ding.

Topstrap

Scores:

O = Rifle Optic H = Handguns M = Metalic Sight Rifle

Dan Wolfe (260) O 375
Dave Arbenz (6.5x55GWI) O 315
Steve Kidwell (6.5x284N) O 305
Joe Wesley (6mmAI) O 300
Todd Thompson (308) O 275
Dan Piatt (308) O 260
Chris Michael (308) O 245
Cris Rensi (338) O 240
Jim Elk (22/250) O 225
Rick Chapman (6.5x284) O 220
Chris Kirkpatrick (260) H 220
Hollie Michael (6.5Cr) O 220
Jim Bragg (6Int) O 215
Mike Scott (7mm) O 215
Larry Friel (308) O 200
Josey Rayner (280) O 190
Jeff Reisinger (300WMag) O 190
Merritt Roseberry (7-08) O 190
Tom Steelesmith (308) O 190
Lawrence Leaman (308) O 185
Zac Coffing (243) O 180
Bob Fellows (6BR) O 180
Robert Melick (308) O 180
Rob Ashcraft (6.5GRD.) O 175
Ken Erickson (260) O 175
Keith Carle (300) O 165
Dennis Kirkpatrick(260) H 165
Rick Geraci (308) O 160
Mike Cooper (223) O 155
Jeremiah Myers (308) O 155
Richard Friel (308) O 150
Dennis Lawrence (308) O 150
Todd Smith (6BR) O 150
Brenda Wolfe (308) O 150
Rube Perkins (280) O 140
Butch McCort (260) O 135
Ed Gudgel (204) O 125
Matt Pulley (308) O 120
Tom Rayner (7mm) O 100
Dave Callipere (260) O 85
Everett Holbrook (223) O 85

This one's coming around again on June 26th, so get your ammo loaded. Hopefully I don't stink up the range so badly this time around
blush.gif

I will be there again, bringing my new bushnell 1600arc rangefinfers too.

Mike, I just got my rifle back and I'm having some brass issues. But she still shot a .275" three shot group today with the new Alliant 4000-MR powder. If I get the brass issues resolved, I just might be able to make it to the June match.

J.Myers, are those the range finding binoculars? I'm thinking about buying but I can't decide between the 10 or 12 power.

Camo yeah, they range great{pole at 1k, flag at 1099,sign at 1530,building at 1730 , reticle could be brighter, I have the 10x42 I think not the 12x50, welcome to look at mine I am the shaved head guy with a red goateee and a trg 22, going to pick up my form 4 at tvp in the morning going to try ranging steel there.

Re: SCORES

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried to bribe Carolyn to change the name beside my score to Dale T so nobody would wonder who that newbie was that shot so bad.

No excuses... just a day that could of easily doubled my score with 1" and 2" misses. Maybe next match will make up for it.
smile.gif

Had fun anyway, that's mainly what it's about although it is nice to occasionally hear that distant ding.

Topstrap

Scores:

O = Rifle Optic H = Handguns M = Metalic Sight Rifle

Dan Wolfe (260) O 375
Dave Arbenz (6.5x55GWI) O 315
Steve Kidwell (6.5x284N) O 305
Joe Wesley (6mmAI) O 300
Todd Thompson (308) O 275
Dan Piatt (308) O 260
Chris Michael (308) O 245
Cris Rensi (338) O 240
Jim Elk (22/250) O 225
Rick Chapman (6.5x284) O 220
Chris Kirkpatrick (260) H 220
Hollie Michael (6.5Cr) O 220
Jim Bragg (6Int) O 215
Mike Scott (7mm) O 215
Larry Friel (308) O 200
Josey Rayner (280) O 190
Jeff Reisinger (300WMag) O 190
Merritt Roseberry (7-08) O 190
Tom Steelesmith (308) O 190
Lawrence Leaman (308) O 185
Zac Coffing (243) O 180
Bob Fellows (6BR) O 180
Robert Melick (308) O 180
Rob Ashcraft (6.5GRD.) O 175
Ken Erickson (260) O 175
Keith Carle (300) O 165
Dennis Kirkpatrick(260) H 165
Rick Geraci (308) O 160
Mike Cooper (223) O 155
Jeremiah Myers (308) O 155
Richard Friel (308) O 150
Dennis Lawrence (308) O 150
Todd Smith (6BR) O 150
Brenda Wolfe (308) O 150
Rube Perkins (280) O 140
Butch McCort (260) O 135
Ed Gudgel (204) O 125
Matt Pulley (308) O 120
Tom Rayner (7mm) O 100
Dave Callipere (260) O 85
Everett Holbrook (223) O 85

</div></div>

I'll be back because someone has to support the lower and of the bell curve, might as well be me, after all I'm there to make you all look good! I had a blast (no pun intended) last month!

Will there be spotters at this match to tell you where you missed?
Although I don't intend to miss. LOL

There are usually spotting scopes at each location but they aren't really there to be used as official spotters. We do try to spot for others but it sure is nice to have others also volunteer to help spot for their buddies. I have mine at each match and anyone that wishes to use it to spot for their shooting buddy is welcome to use it.

If we weren't shooting we used to spot for everyone but that does take the toll on the old eyes. Some shooters have come to depend on others to always be spotting for them but that was more a favor to help them know where they hit or missed but they usually forgot to return that favor when they weren't shooting.

If you have a spotting scope it would sure be welcome since more eyes on the target help everyone. Some targets are really hard to spot for. In our group we've arranged to take turns spotting for each other but if you get in our group and a new shooter to Rayners we'll try and make sure to spot for you.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamoWildcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will there be spotters at this match to tell you where you missed?
Although I don't intend to miss. LOL </div></div>

Yes, we'll spot for other shooters. You can have your corrections in minutes, mils, or groundhogs. You may pick who you want to spot for you or deal with whoever is in the scope. Accuracy of corrections depend on how the tip jar is looking
laugh.gif
. As Topstrap mentioned, it's always nice to have others help share the workload.

I'll be there with atleast 2 other shooters, maybe up to 5 total. I'm finally making my brother drive so it's my turn to sleep in the car on the way there.

Good luck everyone,
Merritt

Re: Rayner's monthly Steel Match June 26 Blue Rock, OH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That time's creeping up on us again, so get your ammo loaded. Directions, match scores, etc an be found at Rayner's web site . Match registration 9:00 and shooting starts at 10:00 with a shooter's meeting in between. Match fee is $20 for the day. You'll need 36 rounds to complete the match. Targets are from 235 yards out to 1,000. We'll break for lunch after the first 3 stations and then finish afterwards. Sandwiches, snacks, drinks, and desserts are available to purchase at the shop if you wish. In an effort to keep the match rolling we'll be using timers this month, so you'll get 2 minutes to fire your 3 shots at each target or targets. Match will happen rain or shine, so mark your calendars. Hope to see you there!!! </div></div>

Do you have any distances on the stages that you could post?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooterken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do you have any distances on the stages that you could post? </div></div>

position/distance

1. 500, 590
2. 235, 400
3. 300, 375
4. 900, 990
5. 630, 700
6. 650, 770

Wish I could make it, just got my 308 back from some much needed upgrades and wont have a chance to zero it till sunday do to work.Great shoot and great range with a great group of guys what better way to spend your weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crich2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish I could make it, just got my 308 back from some much needed upgrades and wont have a chance to zero it till sunday do to work.Great shoot and great range with a great group of guys what better way to spend your weekend. </div></div>

I'd bet if you call Tom and show up a bit early he'd let you get a 100 yard zero on your rifle.

YUP, thought I heard a couple fellas getting a zero last month before the match. He's easy and tries to work with everyone to make their day fun.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">July 17th ??? </div></div>

July 24th.