• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rayner's SE Ohio Sniper Challenge April 9/10 2011

mscott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Ohio
Here is some info from Tom Rayner's plan for a spring tactical type match. This will be the first event of it's type here, so expect some changes here and there.

Cost to shoot the match will be $ 50.00. There will be trophies for 1st 2nd and 3rd places. Start time will be 8:00 am. We are looking at about 20 stages. We are going to run 3 stages timed like a pistol match. Most stages you will have 2 shots per target if needed. It looks as if the longest shot will be 950 yards. Minimum of 45 shots and max of about 80. It will be shot in a one day format. All competitors will pre register for the match. They will be able to shoot the match either on a Saturday or a Sunday. The staff will shoot on Friday. It looks as if there will be 2 different structures to shoot from incorporated into the match. Scoring will be 10 points for a first shot hit and 5 points for a 2nd shot hit. Competitors will walk and carry what ever they think they will need for the match. There will be a break for lunch. There will be no spotters. We will call out a hit or a miss that is it. The scenario is You are behind enemy lines and your spotter is dead. There are no classes .... it's run what you brung. Nothing larger than .338 and of course no armor piercing ammo. Target ranges will be given, so no range finding needed.

Web site does not have this match listed yet, but will be updated soon. For directions, contact info etc. the web site is http://www.raynersrange.com/ There are also monthly matches on the 4th Sunday of every month if you'd like to check it out ahead of time. Overnight camping is permitted. Food and drinks will be available for purchase at the concession/registration area.

Re: Rayner's SE Ohio Sniper Challenge April 9/10 2011

20 stages?

How many shooter's are you going to cap it at per day...

When will registration start?

I'm in..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20 stages?

How many shooter's are you going to cap it at per day...

When will registration start?

I'm in.. </div></div>

The way I understand it there will be 2 squads of shooters each day and the range will be divided into 2 sections. I'd guess around 12 or 13 shooters per squad. You will shoot the 1st half, break for lunch, and then the second half of the course. I'm not sure when registration will open, but I am just waiting on a response from Tom. I'll post it here when I find out more.

i cant wait im puttin a new gun or two together they need the exercise,.....so do i hey mike im putting a range in out to 600yds should be kind of cool and close to home for short range youll have to give it a try.....eta spring. glad to see tom make more fun for the long gun

New range sounds interesting once it warms up. I have a new barrel on the way for next year's rifle(probably some time in Jan.) Glad you figured out the problem with your rifle. That's the second Leupy I know of that died this year. Gun problems suck and are almost painful to watch!!!

I'm in as soon as the registration opens.

I hope my Manners stock comes in and I get to wring out the Howa in time.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HEARNOEVIL308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN SHOOT? </div></div>

According to the 5th post, around 75 max between the 3 days.

I'm sure the # of shooters will be finalized in the next couple months when registration opens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HEARNOEVIL308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN SHOOT? </div></div>

I can't hear you!!! What did you say?

Turn off the cap's lock key...

Registration was planned to open on Jan 1st, but if you are on the edge of your seat go ahead and call Tom Rayner at (740) 674-7019 and he'll get you registered on either Saturday or Sunday. The plan is to cut it off at 50 competitors (25 for Sat and 25 for Sun) and staff will shoot on Friday. Hopefully rules and other information will be posted around Jan 1st. Once your name is on the list you will need to send your $50 to lock it in and will receive a confirmation.

No doubt this will fill up fast. Will be calling Rayner's to schedule a slot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Count me in for sure Mike. </div></div>
I was hoping you might join in on the fun. Surely you can take a day and enjoy youself every now and then. Just send Rayner's an email for which day you want to shoot. You'll receive a confirmation receipt after the match fee is received.

Just got off the phone... all signed up check will be in the mail in the morning

Should be fun

Sounds great. Registered, check in the mail. Tom said the calls are coming in regularly. Better jump on this if you are interested, could fill up quick.

just curious of why no spotters? seems like alot of misses with 950 yard shots and no spotters

There will spotters but, they won't give you corrections during the match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scootball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just curious of why no spotters? seems like alot of misses with 950 yard shots and no spotters </div></div>
Your spotter is dead on April 9/10. I told my spotter that and all he could say is "I hate being dead"
laugh.gif

During the monthly match you get spotters. For the April 9/10 match you are on your own. Come to the 2 monthly matches and get your dope figured out and you'll be fine. If you can't spot your own shots then it's time to work on that.

Are the targets you practice on the same as the ones we will use for the match..as in distance and placement?

Glad I don't have to go through this again.

Do you have numbers to punch into gps, once we figure out how to use them?

Last Gramdma died before Mothers day.

Down to about six more aunts and uncles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the targets you practice on the same as the ones we will use for the match..as in distance and placement? </div></div>
NO, this Sniper Challenge match will be set up just for the match. The targets used in the monthly match will be used a well, but from different positions. The target distance will be given to the shooters, however none of the match competitors will know what to expect until match day. There will likely be a couple of shooters try it out ahead of time, but their scores will not be counted for the match. There is no practice round of the match targets. The targets and positions used for the monthly matches are available nearly anytime if you call ahead.

if you have guys coming that not only can hits targets at 950 yards buts can also call there own corrections at that distance with lets say high winds and overcast skies, then i wouldnt stand a chance even if i had a spotter
smile.gif

You don't have to jump in on this match, but feel free to come on out and join in for the monthly matches on the 4th Sundays Feb-Oct. Also keep an eye on this competition section for postings on activity at Thunder Valley Precision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do you have numbers to punch into gps, once we figure out how to use them?
</div></div>

The address in on the main page of Rayner's, but I don't have coordinates. My wifes just uses a street address to get you there.

Hmmmm, now to figure out how to shoot my pea shooter in other positions. Figured I had it too easy last year.
smile.gif

Might even have to give in and shoot one of those long tubed things that touch me in too many places.

Topstrap

This is going to be my first rifle match. I am really looking forward to it.

Here's a little update. Tom has decided to cut it off at 20 shooters per day just to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible and is a quality time for all. Since this is the first match of this sort for Rayner's he being careful to make sure it works. If all goes well the # of shooters may be increased for a possible fall match. As of right now there are 18 shooters signed up for Saturday and 10 for Sunday. Simple math says there are 12 spots left, so don't wait until the last minute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RODENT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm signed up for Sunday. </div></div>
me too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RODENT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm signed up for Sunday. </div></div>
me too.</div></div>

Me too too!

This will be my first rifle match. Glad I got signed up early. Looking forward to it. Just need some decent weather so i i can practice.

Last I heard there is ONE spot open for Saturday and ONE spot for Sunday.

Match is FULL. Good luck everybody.

First monthly match will be Feb 27th, so come on out and play.

****ATTENTION SHOOTERS****

Although the match is full there will be a waiting list started. Feel free to call and get on it if you wish. This might also give the Rayner's an idea of how many others are interested in shooting, so they can accomodate more shooters for the fall match if possible.

For those that have registered ..... Please have your entry fee paid by March 1st if possible or risk having your spot given to someone next in line on the waiting list. Shooters that may be traveling need to make plans ahead of time, so there needs to be some sort of deadline to ensure that everyone who wants to attend gets that opportunity. Hopefully everyone understands this.

5 weeks left to get your payment in if you've got a spot.

Don't forget about the monthly match coming up either. Feb 27th.

mscott / Goin'Hot,
Do you know if the match details will be delivered via email or US Mail? Not that it matters but I was just curious.

RODENT

They have a paper to mail out as a confirmation. It basically says shooter's meeting at 7:30 and shooting starts at 8:00. You'll need 45-95 rounds, 3 stages will be timed, and the match will break for lunch. Scoring is 10 points for 1st round hit and 5 for 2nd round hit. No spotters, but ROs will call hit or miss. Competitors will walk the course and carry what you need for the day.

Question on scoring; re: "timed like a pistol match."

How much, if any, is time worth during the match?

OR

Is a shooter just timed and forfeit points for targets not engaged?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RODENT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question on scoring; re: "timed like a pistol match."

How much, if any, is time worth during the match?

OR

Is a shooter just timed and forfeit points for targets not engaged? </div></div>

The stages that are timed will use hit factor scoring similar to USPSA type scoring. That is basically points divided by time or points per second. For exaple:
Bob gets 85 points on a stage in 120 seconds = a HF of .708
John gets 65 points in 90 seconds = .722
John beats Bob on that stage even though he collected fewer points.

Final match scoring will be determined by performance on each stage. For exaple first place on the stage will receive 100 points and everyone else will be ranked by percentage. Here is a score sheet from one of last year's pistol matches to help explain it http://www.raynersrange.com/New_MatchRes...0%20Limited.txt

All of the other stages will have a time limit for everyone such as maybe 4 minutes. That will be determined after the course is set up and shot by the test group who's scores won't count for the match.

Good info! That will determine how I carry my rifle. The Phantom pack is out for this one.