• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rayner's SE Ohio Sniper Challenge April 9/10 2011

Re: Rayner's SE Ohio Sniper Challenge April 9/10 2011

You don't need no stink'in pack...carry it like a man!

There is a new TAB sling you may be interested in..have you seen it yet? I have one if you want try it when you come out.

Thanks Tom but my 223 doesn't have flush cups yet. I do have a Turner Saddlery High Power synthetic sling I will use. However I do want to take a look at it.

Yes sir, it works great. For short 20-24" barrel bolt guns with suppressors it's pricless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RODENT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question on scoring; re: "timed like a pistol match."

How much, if any, is time worth during the match?

OR

Is a shooter just timed and forfeit points for targets not engaged? </div></div>

The stages that are timed will use hit factor scoring similar to USPSA type scoring. That is basically points divided by time or points per second. For exaple:
Bob gets 85 points on a stage in 120 seconds = a HF of .708
John gets 65 points in 90 seconds = .722
John beats Bob on that stage even though he collected fewer points.

Final match scoring will be determined by performance on each stage. For exaple first place on the stage will receive 100 points and everyone else will be ranked by percentage. Here is a score sheet from one of last year's pistol matches to help explain it http://www.raynersrange.com/New_MatchRes...0%20Limited.txt

All of the other stages will have a time limit for everyone such as maybe 4 minutes. That will be determined after the course is set up and shot by the test group who's scores won't count for the match. </div></div>

Mscott-

You may need to pardon my ignorance. Your post explains to Rodent;with your example. If a shooter misses more targets than the other shooters do...BUT,has a better time on the clock than the others,that shooter MAY/WILL gain more points.

Is this the way it is usually done in other competitions?

I am not sure of this. It seems to me the better shooter with more hits on target would be the obvious winner. If two or more shooters have a tie score,then and only then,time would be an issue. i.e. a tie-breaker.

If you would,could you go into more detail on how this system works. I am confused.

Thanks-

van

I would say in "other competitions" is too broad as nearly every sort of match has it's own type of scoring. Some simply take your time and subtract penalties, some simply add points gained with no enforced time, some give you a different level of points for higher or lower power factor ammo, and some are a mix.

The few stages that will be timed and scored with the hit factor method simply add another aspect to the match. If there are 8 targets to hit and time is not an issue then it's simply lay down and shoot. When you know time is a factor you better know how your scope works, how to adjust your bipod, and know where you can take short cuts to save time. More mistakes will happen when there is a timer running. With hit factor scoring accuracy still typically wins the match and there are sometimes penalties for missed targets. My examples were a little extreme for clarification.

Since you are familiar with it, look at scoring on the Intimidator. If you get 1 first round hit and totally miss the next 3 targets with the next 9 shots you have 10 points. Now it's my turn and I hit all 4 targets with the 3rd round, which only gives me 8 points. I hit all the targets, but you beat me on that stage. I had more hits on target, right?

I shoot USPSA pistol, knock down steel pistol, Multigun with 3 different scoring methods (yes, every range is different), and long range rifles at 2 different ranges. Every game has their own method of scoring shooter performance and they all have a flaw somewhere, but it's all part of that game. Nothing to be confused about .... you just have to know how it works and is counted.

mscott-

I think the system you are currently using for your pistol matches must work. Right? Otherwise it would not be used. I am trying to find a point of clairification. I don't get to a lot of other types of matches. The way I interpretated your inital post about the hit/time ratio left me confused. It made think of bringing my AR and hoping to do a Spray and Pray on the targets as fast as I can. If I hit targets with a fast time the ratio may be higher.

The next time we are at Thunder Valley,I would like to discuss this with you in more detail.

Thanks-

van

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: van</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mscott-
It made think of bringing my AR and hoping to do a Spray and Pray on the targets as fast as I can. If I hit targets with a fast time the ratio may be higher.

The next time we are at Thunder Valley,I would like to discuss this with you in more detail.

Thanks-

van </div></div>

The spray and pray method probably wouldn't yields good results as you would still only get 2 shots per target. It may be an advantage to have a fast second shot in case your first shot is a miss and you could just hold your correction. I'll be happy to talk about it next time at TVP. I really want to do some shooting, but don't have a rifle set up that is light enough for the short targets yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I really want to do some shooting, but don't have a rifle set up that is light enough for the short targets yet. </div></div>

mscott..... That's why it say's to PM me if you want to come out but don't have another rifle. You bring what you have I'll bring you something for the short targets.
smile.gif

Mike,
You have an AR? If not you can use my suppressed AR/5.56 anytime.

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,
You have an AR? If not you can use my suppressed AR/5.56 anytime.

Tom </div></div>
Yes, but they are set for 3 gunning. I'm working the day of the AR shoot anyway. The lightest caliber in a bolt gun I have right now is a 7mm-08, but working on getting the 22-250 back together. I know I can probably show up with nothing and still get to play, but don't feel right about it. I just did a lot of switching things around this winter and it seems to have caught up to me. Thanks for the offers, though.

Thought I'd bump this to remind everyone that has registered to be paid by March 1st or risk having your spot given to someone on the waiting list. If you are on the waiting list you will be contacted as spots become available.

Thanks for the reminder check going out today.

2 spots opened up for Sunday if anyone else wants to shoot that day.

Looks like we're gonna luck out on the weather.

Can't wait!!! See you guys Sunday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like we're gonna luck out on the weather.

Can't wait!!! See you guys Sunday. </div></div>

The shooters might, but the few guys shooting on Staff day may not be so lucky (tomorrow)
shocked.gif

Well the car is packed and I'm as ready as I'll be, NOT ready to get up at 4:00.

See ya in the morning

Good luck everyone. I'll be there on Sunday.

Hi guys, thanks for letting me watch today...really enjoyed it.

I hope to see you again. I can see as a new shooter I will have a LOT of competition!

IF the weatherman is right, it looks like today was the day to shoot. Calling for 15mph + winds tomorrow.

Can't wait, can't wait!!!

Had a blast today....
Outstanding course of fire, ran smooth and hardly no standing around.
Will be back for the next one...
Big thanks to all who had a hand in this match

We are needing another volunteer to be a hostage for station 9 tomorrow.

Also need someone to make BIG signs "Left Target" and "Right Target" for station 1.

Enjoyed watching you all shoot today, good or bad hope you all had fun.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are needing another volunteer to be a hostage for station 9 tomorrow.

Also need someone to make BIG signs "Left Target" and "Right Target" for station 1.

Enjoyed watching you all shoot today, good or bad hope you all had fun.

Topstrap

</div></div>

missed the hostages...must have been a different group.

this is my .02 worth for an AAR of the rayners sniper challenge.

first off this match was very well thought out. the coarse of fire was challenging and the whole match ran like a well oiled machine. this has to be one of the best i have been to so far and my hats off to Tom, Dan and anyone else who helped to put it together.

the targets were realistic and challenging. the scenarios were the same. the down time was an absolute minimum.

it all started with a 200yd cold bore shot that seemed to get everyones heart jumped into gear.

there was a ton of "out of your comfort zone" shooting. very little prone work over the coarse.

the 40yd card shoot over an extreme angle hill with 30 seconds to find and engage your card was humbling to many. much of the match brought out the needed skills of judgement, target acquistion and true core riflemanship under any condition.

shots were from 40yd to 950ish and everything in between.

i think the best parts was the fact that i saw similing faces the entire time. this match was all the stuff you need and want in a "sniper" type match and it was FUN!

thanks again to all for putting on a great match and i'll be back in the fall for the next one.

Doug

What a great match!!! I want to give a big THANK YOU to the entire staff that made this possible. From those involved in setting up the new targets, all the score keepers and the kitchen staff. The only disappontment today was a lack of peanut butter pie (weather I needed it or not). That pie is one of lifes simpler pleasures.

The layout of todays shoot was great. I enjoyed shooting from the structures and loved laying under that big log and shooting from a ground hogs perspective. Having to engauge targets from cover and improvising on stations was humbling today. It sure beats shooting prone all the time. The wind was the wind and I swear I would have had more hits if a third shot was on the table.

I'm looking forward to the October match and some pie.

+1 well thought out COF. Didnt over emphasize shooting from the prone position and brought fieldcraft into the match. Suprised myself on some stages in a good way and not so good on other stages. Everyone appeared to enjoy themselves and we even got in some good euchre games waiting for the fog to lift this morning. Great time as always as Rayner's.

Rob

Can't say enough positive about the match!

All of the staff were very helpful, friendly, and professional.

The course of fire was challenging, fun, and ran very smoothly.

Hope I can make it back in Oct, would actually like to shoot this match every month!

Thanks again to everyone,
M Richardson

This match was Spectacticool!!
Smooth, Practical, and very Challenging for any level shooter.
Many Thanks to the Rayner's, Wolfe and all others for your efforts that made this match possible. Very well thought out. I enjoyed and learned something on every stage, from the cold bore to the hostage to the bipod eaters. Lotta good trigger time all in one day. You guys really have yourselves something there!!Looking forward to next time!
Oh Yeah... F*%k that 4 of Clubs!! LOL!!

Kurt

Just wanted to take a minute and say thanks for a great match and a very good time!
The match was perfect in every way and I was very impressed with the set up. It was very well thought out and I can't wait to get back out there in October for another go at it!
Thanks to all who set up the course and those who helped run it so smooth. I had a blast!

Tom

Had a lot of fun shooting this match. Very well thought out and it ran smoothly ... no waiting the whole day.

Nice job by everyone who set up the course and ran the match.

The match was very fun and challenging. I didnt do very good but still was a blast. Very thought out. Big thanks to the Rayners.

I'd like to thank everyone that shot the match for being very patient while we tried to accommodate the shooters that were elderly and had a slight physical disability. They enjoy shooting and I know they didn't want to slow the match but you all helped make it a fun day for them also.

Saw some good shooting and a lot of very nice equipment. Some weren't used to shooting in so many different and sometimes difficult positions but at least everyone learned where their weaknesses are now.

Thanks to all the work Tom, Josie and Dan put into the design and I appreciate them letting us help. Great people with a nice place to shoot.

Topstrap

Congrats to Tom Sarver. He was the match winner. Nice shooting Tom!!

Way to go, Tom and some good shooting by Doug for second place as well. The scores with an * are staff scores not counted for the match. If you want to see the individual stage results they are http://www.raynersrange.com/results/Apr/Sniper__Match/All_Stage.txt

Here are the results.
Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady Mil Law For Age Points Stg %
1 Sarver, Tom(260) U Open Major N N N N 215.0281 100.00%
2 *Wolfe, Dan(260) U Open Major N N N N 214.5442 99.77%
3 *Rayner, Josey(280 U Open Major N N N N 177.5572 82.57%
4 Dearinger, Doug (3 U Open Major N N N N 173.3013 80.59%
5 Scarsella, Nike(30 U Open Major N N N N 163.9677 76.25%
6 Scott, Mike(7mm-08 U Open Major N N N N 152.9838 71.15%
7 Bainter, Wayde(260 U Open Major N N N N 146.4805 68.12%
8 Shaner, Willaim(30 U Open Major N N N N 142.5695 66.30%
9 Brandt, Ryan(260) U Open Major N N N N 135.5914 63.06%
10 Orwig, Robert(308) U Open Major N N N N 125.4393 58.34%
11 Vradenburg, Karl(2 U Open Major N N N N 124.9281 58.10%
12 Piasecki, Neil(308 U Open Major N N N N 123.7401 57.55%
13 Michael, Chris(308 U Open Major N N N N 123.4576 57.41%
14 Poeppelman, Kurt(3 U Open Major N N N N 123.1582 57.28%
15 Coffing, Zac(243) U Open Major N N N N 120.6439 56.11%
16 Myers, Tom(260) U Open Major N N N N 116.7965 54.32%
17 Smith, Corey(308) U Open Major N N N N 115.0792 53.52%
18 Sionkowski, Robert U Open Major N N N N 108.1468 50.29%
19 Addy, Arron(308) U Open Major N N N N 107.9986 50.23%
20 *Rayner, Jesse(308 U Open Major N N N N 103.2421 48.01%
21 Ashcraft, Jim(6.5x U Open Major N N N N 101.0112 46.98%
22 Ashcraft, Rob(6.5G U Open Major N N N N 98.7156 45.91%
23 *Wolfe, Brady(308) U Open Major N N N N 95.2972 44.32%
24 Henkel, Jeff(223) U Open Major N N N N 90.9158 42.28%
25 Richardson, Mike(2 U Open Major N N N N 85.4097 39.72%
26 Raab, Daniel(308) U Open Major N N N N 85.3754 39.70%
27 Rowe, James(223) U Open Major N N N N 82.4784 38.36%
28 Arbenz, Dave(300) U Open Major N N N N 80.2716 37.33%
29 West, Tom(243) U Open Major N N N N 75.7324 35.22%
30 Bragg, Jim(6Int) U Open Major N N N N 66.1831 30.78%
31 Weiser, Whit(22-25 U Open Major N N N N 61.0268 28.38%
32 Toth, Steve(300) U Open Major N N N N 60.0956 27.95%
33 Lochary, Jim(22-25 U Open Major N N N N 54.2150 25.21%
34 *Cooper, Mike(223) U Open Major N N N N 50.0000 23.25%
35 Miller, Lynn(223AI U Open Major N N N N 45.8268 21.31%
36 Marshall, Arron(30 U Open Major N N N N 43.9467 20.44%
37 *Rayner, Tom(243) U Open Major N N N N 43.5167 20.24%
38 Michael, Hollie(30 U Open Major N N N N 43.4642 20.21%
39 *White, Brian(308) U Open Major N N N N 33.5512 15.60%
40 Geraci, Rick(308) U Open Major N N N N 31.5231 14.66%
41 Whitaker, Scott(30 U Open Major N N N N 16.9444 7.88%
Printed: 04/11/2011 3:44 PM

GREAT JOB RAYNER'S TEAM!!!

That was a great way to spend a Sunday, it may have been my first time there but it will not be my last.

Hey congrats Tom! Looks like the hay bale maneuver paid off big time haha. I can't believe I placed third for my first match but even if I would have placed last I still had a blast. I can't imagine how it could've been any better. Everything ran smooth as butter, the staff was very nice and there was very little standing around time. Hats off to the kitchen crew for a great lunch and post-match snack. Too bad I'll be back on active duty when the fall match rolls around because I'd love to shoot it as well! Thanks again to everyone at Rayner's!

I would like to say thanks again to the Rayner's and the folks who helped with match and the girls in the kitchen. The food is always great.
I had a really good time and there was no shortage of laughs through the day. Got to meet some new shooters and spent some time with great friends. I feel blessed to be able to do these kind of things for fun and for a living. Going somewhere else to shoot helps me remember why I've done this for so long..I enjoy the heck out of it.
I can't say enough how WELL the match was ran and laid out.
I hope to make it back out in October and join the fun again!

Gear list...

TVP Custom Rifle chambered in .260 rem
Surgeon 591r
Krieger Barrel 27.5" 8 twist
KMW (Terry Cross) Sentinel Combat Stock
KMW bottom metal and bolt knob
Harrell's Precision counter torque muzzle brake
Jewel Trigger set at 1 lbs.
T.A.B Sling and rear bag
Atlas V-8 bipod
Night Force 5.5-22x56 R1 HSZS
Maxpedition Jumbo pack

Load info;
Norma brass
Berger 140 VLD @ 2930 fps
H4350 42.5 gr.
Fed 210m

Congrats to Tom!

At times I think he must be freaking crazy, like when he leaps on top of a 7' hay bale, but he always makes it work and it obviously pays off! Also thanks for always being willing to help another shooter, you could keep your skills and techniques to yourself, but I have never seen you not trying to help the other shooters do better.

Thanks again to everyone!
I can't imagine the time put into making everything happen, whether it was setting up the course, feeding the shooters, keeping track of the hits and scores, it was all done at a very high level of professionalism.

Watching all of the shooters, I learned something from everyone at every stage.

Can't wait until Oct, hopefully I will have my act together by then!

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

The question was asked, so I'll answer it here in case anyone else was wondering. The percentages at the right are how shooters ranked against the match winner. The 100% doesn't represent how many targets Tom hit, but that he was the match winner. Everyone else's percentage is in comparasin to the match winner's score in case you want to know where you stand against your buddy or Tom. For example ..... looking at my score I would have had to perform 29% better to be on top.

I had a great time this past Saturday at Rayner's range. I learned about myself at times. I even learned that a four of clubs is NOT a 4 of spades. That was a tough lesson to learn. Even through my mistakes and misses made I had a great time. Can't wait to do it again in the fall.

Thanks.

Congrats to Tom Sarver. That was some great shooting you did there buddy.

van

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: van</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I even learned that a four of clubs is NOT a 4 of spades.
van </div></div>

Some of us learned that focusing your scope for closer shots like those cards would be a good idea as well.

Knew enough to dial the scope back and set parralax, but didnt know 4X would be a little light. Fortunately found the King of Spades in nick of time and got a shot off. Now if I would just learn to mount a scope on a rifle and get some meaningful drop chart put together a little sooner then the day before the match! LOL No matter, still had an absolute blast and look forward to it again in the fall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whoshotya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh Yeah... F*%k that 4 of Clubs!! LOL!!

Kurt </div></div>

No problem with focus,paralax or power. Thirty seconds and target I.D. was the problem for me. As soon as the shot was made my comment about the four of clubs was made. Guess you had to be there.

Thanks Kurt! That made me laugh.

van