• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor G1 upgrade?

frost1235

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2018
Where it snows
Afternoon everyone!

I currently have a Razor HD 5-20x50 ebr-2b and was using on a 308 Savage 10ba Stealth, primarily in benchrest shooting conditions.
I'm very much ready to upgrade my set-up to 6.5 Creedmoor; primarily due to New England FINALLY having a PRS shoot in recent times. Now, I do plan on taking precision long range courses, and well as primarily benchrest shooting, but would it be well worth it to upgrade my glass?

I've heard that the gen 2 is leaps and bounds over the gen 1, but would that make the gen 1 a bad scope when it comes to PRS or even distances over 800 yards?

Intent: Ultimately PRS, but primarily benchrest/long range courses.
Lighting: Primarily daytime/low light.
Range: Primarily 0-300 yards, monthly shoots out to 600 yards, quarterly shoots out to 1000 yards.
Preferences: Mil/Mil, FFP, zero-stop

In terms of the upgrade itself, I am looking at the well touted Razor gen 2, as well as the Sig Tango 6.
My questions really lie in:
1.) Clarity of glass at 800 yards+
2.) Clarity during low light situations
3.) Chromatic Aberration
4.) "Usefulness" of magnification (IE: Max magnification induces heavy shadowing/near useless FOV)

I would really request to keep the price game out of mind at this point. Not going into too much detail, but I'd be able to get a good deal from my dealer with the Sig over the Vortex, but the prices would be pretty decent nonetheless.
I understand the Vortex has an unbeatable warranty, but I do like how the Sig has the tech built in for anti-cant (even the BDX is interesting for consideration!)

Last edited:
In for some answers I'm In the same boat of wanting /considering upgrading my gen 2 pst.

I shoot almost identical conditions as you, mainly off the bench from 100-300yrds and I shoot the 600yrd range twice a week, but wanting to get into prs shooting @ 1k+ yards

It's all a matter of preference. I have and have had most of the big names and popular models. I still buy the occasional gen 1 razor if I see them for less than 1k. It's a really solid scope in my mind. I have a few gen 2 and love them. Amg and love it. My match rifles both have Kahles ONLY because of the reticle!!!! Try different reticle if you have people that will let u shoot their gun. Then pick a solid known scope and go with it. Dont get caught up thinking you can't run that gen 1 in PRS.... you would be better served keeping it until you shoot a match or 3 or 4 and see what you like then buy a new scope...

Reactions: Wyzrd and Tx_Aggie
I find this kind of funny; comparing the two earlier this year I couldn't justify the cost of a G2 over a G1, so I have a G1 Razor sitting happily atop my Tikka.

Only thing is the 35mm tube reduces your selection of rings and mounts, but I got the excellent Seekins ones to go with it

Keep the scope, spend the money on a different rifle for PRS. Savage is not popular in that scene for a reason.

Oh, the rifle is going to be upgraded to a Bergara premier. I was also curious if I should upgrade the glass as well.

1moaoff had a really good point so far. But is the Sig optic a popular one in PRS?

While g2 has improvements their is absolutely nothing wrong with running a g1 for prs it would not be what holds you back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyzrd