• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Razor gen 2 4.5-27x56 EBR-7C VS Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 MIL-XT f1

jsmann3428

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hello All,
I am new here. I am looking for advise from experienced shooters here.
I want to put a scope on my scar 20s 6.5 creedmoor.
I will use it for coyote hunting and shooting range up to 600 yards.

I have looked at two options:
NF 5-25x56 MIL-XT @$2300
VORTEX RZR 4.5-27x56 EBR-7C @$1750
Steiner MX5 3-15x50 MSR2 @$2150

Which one should I buy?
Is there any other reticle you will suggest instead?
Is there any other scope will you suggest instead?

Thanks
Jay

While you all are replying to @jsmann3428, and in the spirit of not starting another thread on this same-ish question...

I'm also looking for a scope for a 6.5 Creedmoor build I'm working on. It's a precision rifle that I plan on shooting out to ~1200 yards...maybe slightly more.

I currently shoot a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 on my 308 and it's a great scope. I'm wondering if I can get a slightly larger/forgiving eye box in a new optic though and I've been looking between these:

- Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 F1
- Vortex Razor HD GEN II 4.5-27X56 FFP

There's a big price difference and I would love to hear all of your experiences between the two.

Don't mean to hijack your thread @jsmann3428....if you or anyone else believes I should start a separate thread I will be happy to do so.

Any questions let me know...just @ me.

Appreciate the help!

Reactions: Kryptonight
Hello All,
I am new here. I am looking for advise from experienced shooters here.
I want to put a scope on my scar 20s 6.5 creedmoor.
I will use it for coyote hunting and shooting range up to 600 yards.

I have looked at two options:
NF 5-25x56 MIL-XT @$2300
VORTEX RZR 4.5-27x56 EBR-7C @$1750
Steiner MX5 3-15x50 MSR2 @$2150

Which one should I buy?
Is there any other reticle you will suggest instead?
Is there any other scope will you suggest instead?

Thanks
Jay

I figured I should at least lend some help/opinions since I kinda hijacked your thread. Apologies about that.

I don't have experience with the Steiner or the Vortex so hopefully others will weigh in about those.

But I do have experience with Nightforce and I'll say the following:
- their scopes are extremely rugged
- their warranty is very good
- their glass seems to be great
- their turret adjustments (after mine) are more "clicky" which is nice
- eye box is good (although I'm looking for slightly better if I can find it)

I don't think you can go wrong with the Nightforce. They're a little more pricey but will last a long time. They're extremely durable...which was a wonderful surprise when I was trying out QD mounts and forgot to torque the screws down enough and some of the metal on the scope main tube separated and rolled a bit due to the recoil and ramming against a scope ring. Anyway, long story short, it didn't lose zero at all. In fact it's still that way today and I've had no problems with it.

The next part of your question was about reticles. It's a highly controversial topic. Maybe controversial isn't the right word but it's heavily debated on MOA vs MIL. I'm have an MOA reticle so I gravitate towards that. It's the same with a lot of things. I shoot a SAKO TRG and I love the trigger. Doesn't mean I can't use another trigger, but it's just what I gravitate towards because of how much time I've spent on that trigger.

As you learn more and more about your rifle/scope setup you'll realize that you're basically just using your scope as a measuring tape...and you'll be fast with whatever you learn and practice with. If you already have other MIL scopes, or are used to MIL adjustments, or want MIL because you just want it, or just like saying MIL, you should get a MIL scope. I know people who are "MOA all the way" or who "don't like MOA because it's dumb"...I don't tend to take a strong stance on it. I bought an MOA scope when I was younger because it was recommended to me and I kinda stuck with it. That's all.

One thing to keep in mind is to make sure if your reticle and turrets are in the same adjustments. Don't buy a scope that has MOA turrets and a MIL reticle or vise versa. I'm not sure if that stuff exists anymore but it sounds like a nightmare to me. Again, just personal preference.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

With the reputation SCARS have damaging optics and the reputation NF has being bullet proof, I'd lean that direction if it were me. I'm a big vortex fan too. Most of my scopes are vortex.

On a semi auto I'd look at the NX8 2.5-20x50 F1. Lighter by 9oz. and that zoom range is perfect for range shooting and hunting. The MIL-XT reticle is the only one I like on NF.

Find the reticle your eye likes the best and go with that.

Where the F are you finding an ATACR for $2300? I assume a demo F2?

With the reputation SCARS have damaging optics and the reputation NF has being bullet proof, I'd lean that direction if it were me. I'm a big vortex fan too. Most of my scopes are vortex.

On a semi auto I'd look at the NX8 2.5-20x50 F1. Lighter by 9oz. and that zoom range is perfect for range shooting and hunting. The MIL-XT reticle is the only one I like on NF.
Which vortex optics do you run and do you run it on a bolt gun or something else? I'm looking at a Vortex Razor HD GEN II 4.5-27X56 FFP and was wondering how the overall scope is, glass, eye box, etc. Any info helps.

Thanks!

Which vortex optics do you run and do you run it on a bolt gun or something else? I'm looking at a Vortex Razor HD GEN II 4.5-27X56 FFP and was wondering how the overall scope is, glass, eye box, etc. Any info helps.

Thanks!
1 razor gen II 4.5-27x56 and 2 viper PST gen II on bolt guns, all EBR 7C
1 gen I viper PST 2.5-10 on an SPR

The Razor you're looking at is a fantastic optic, it punches above its price range for sure.