• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor gen 3 vs ziess lrp s5

Tpeterson458

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2022
Iowa
I can get both scopes for almost the same price.

The razor has the vortex name and supposedly amazing glass. I haven't had a chance to look through one yet. But it seems like vortex really dropped the ball on the turrets.

The ziess has shot glass, haven't seen it for myself yet. But only a 5 year warranty. And the turrets are really tall.

I have a 30 percent of certification for the vortex razor gen 3 ebr7d

And the ziess lrp s5 I could buy used.

Help me spendy my money wisely please.

Last edited:
I've had both.

Zeiss glass and illumination is better. I personally liked their reticle more. One of the three of the S5 models I had, had turret offset from the turret markings from the factory. Diopter adjustment for my eyes would not adjust low enough to be clear at high magnification looking out at distance of ~900 yards.

Vortex turret design is more user friendly for zeroing. Clicks are a little less sharp and the elevation cap slides down at times but you don't have a submarine contower. The parallax is marked and calibrated and the parallax adjustment was smoother. Vortex also had a higher range of diopter adjustment. Like you mentioned lifetime warranty with a repair facility in Wisconsin.

In the end I kept the Vortex Razor Gen 3.

Wisely... given how close they seem to be I'd lean toward the no BS warranty of Vortex. It's like a free insurance policy on your scope as long as you own it and don't lose it to theft.

have 3 G3Rs and recommend them highly. that said, if the Zeiss was 1/4 cheaper I'd probably go that route

compare the pricing on your 30% off cert vs getting a phone quote from one of the Hide vendors Liberty Optics

remember that you would be comparing a new vs used optic

you can also buy the Razor used as well

just to mess with you, have you looked into ZCO?