• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor Gen II 4.5-27 or Chronus BTR 4.5-29?

For long range steel, primarily. Leaning toward the Razor for $300 more. Thoughts?

For competition or fun? I've had both and as subjective as it is; I feel the Razor is better to my eye concerning resolution, but just barely. The parallax is better on the razor as it is more forgiving and smoother. Tracking and reticle are good on both. Quality is good on both. Zero stop is easier on the Cronus and more refined but more difficult on the Razor.

The refinements on the razor in regards to the locking turrets are nice. If the Cronus meets your needs then buy in confidence. If you like competing the EBR 7C is really nice.

It could be a toss-up for either. I would also add the Tract Toric ELR to that list as well. All are great with outstanding support. Pick the reticle you like the most...I prefer the floating dot to a crosshair.

price is important to me. If one is less $ with a sale or discount, I take that into consideration.

To me, the G2R has one of the best eyeboxes, parallax is very forgiving, turrets are great, the couple I've had tracked 100% on a static tracking board, reticle choices are good, and the "glass" is good. I haven't had the Athlon, but feature set seems very comparable.

I have one of each.. I agree with Everything @Tunnuh said. It really is a toss up. Pick the reticle you like the best at their current prices.

I will say the Cronus is on sale right now...

price says 1399, but then you go to options and chose any of the models it jumps to 1799.. ?

I have one of each.. I agree with Everything @Tunnuh said. It really is a toss up. Pick the reticle you like the best at their current prices.

I will say the Cronus is on sale right now...

Just call cameralandny and get an actual good deal instead of the bait and switch

I was solely a NF guy for many years. Met some Vortex people while working in the industry and the rest is history. My massive collection of NF has dwindled as my Vortex (especially Razor GII) has replaced them. I never realized just how finicky the parallax on NF was until I started shooting the Razor GII and the glass on them IMO is better than the ATACR. I've only owned one Athlon, a lower end FFP model, and it was pretty good for the money but I know Vortex and I know the people behind them so Razor would be my choice.

Reactions: FishDr
I have both. I believe they are:
1) both Japan made
2) have the similar glass
3) have similar erector design
4) both have lifetime warranty

Razors are generally 300usd to 400usd more expensive, but for that extra money, you get these features over the Cronus:
1) locking elevation and windage turrets
2) locking illuminator control
3) more tactile turret clicks
4) heftier weight
5) included sunshade(when installed, makes the scope longer and makes you look more "operator") :)

Is the Razor Gen2 worth the extra 300-400usd over the Cronus?
Depends on your use case and preference, and only you can answer that question.

Last edited:
Reactions: smoooth1
I own both scopes and while glass is very subjective, what works for me may not work for you but in the case of the G2 and the Cronus they are both good scopes. I don’t think you could go wrong with either in this price range I like the turrets better on the G2, and the glass is similar.

Doug is a good source for the Cronus and Richard over at CSTactical is gtg on the G2.

Can't go wrong with either, I have a couple cronus scopes, I like both of their reticles more than the vortex reticles. I have the cross on my long range rifle and the dot on my Bergara .22. Locking turrets are nice but I haven't had issues with the athlon turrets turning when they shouldn't. Eye box was similar on both for me, both are east to get behind at max power.

I have both. I believe they are:
1) both Japan made
2) have the similar glass
3) have similar erector design
4) both have lifetime warranty

Razors are generally 300usd to 400usd more expensive, but for that extra money, you get these features over the Cronus:
1) locking elevation and windage turrets
2) locking illuminator control
3) more tactile turret clicks
4) heftier weight
5) included sunshade(when installed, makes the scope longer and makes you look more "operator") :)

Is the Razor Gen2 worth the extra 300-400usd over the Cronus?
Depends on your use case and preference, and only you can answer that question.

^^^^ This ^^^^ However, I recently purchased a Cronus BTR and Bushnell XRS2 to compare against my Razor Gen 2.

As far as image quality and resolution:
1. Cronus BTR
2. XRS2
3. Razor Gen 2
In that order. Testing was done using 2 different eye charts at 322 yards with 3 people viewing. Not the most scientific, but good enough for me and the guys looking through the glass. Scopes were set to equal magnifications of 27x, the max for the Razor Gen 2.

The feature set @frank320 posted above is pretty accurate. I like the feel of the clicks on the Cronus BTR but wish they locked.