• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Razor Gen2 Shadow (resolved)

Badjujuu

Like to shoot, will travel
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2019
Not sure how to resolve this -

When looking thru razor gen2 4.5 - 27 at the lowest magnification setting I'm getting a "moon sliver" up top while still seeing the outer "white circle" on the edge.

Not sure what changed, and I don't remember dealing with this before (I've only had the scope out once, since picking it up from SH Member) and can't remember if I've seen it (i probably did not have it at 4.5 magnification)

It's only at the lowest setting and no adjustment to the scope or stock helps to resolve the issue.

For reference, i have PST GEN2 and as soon as I look thru it i can see the full circle without any "shadow". I've tried looking thru the razor on the rifle, off of the rifle etc. Same thing.

Caps, no caps, sun shade, no sunshade, parallax adjustments, diopter adjustment. Cheek rest up and down side to side. I'm still getting it at 4.5 magnification.

My OCD is kicking in at the moment because I don't know what else I could be doing wrong.

Attachments

• 20210120_112657.jpg
    20210120_112657.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 102
Adjust cheek riser?
That was my first thing I did, and no matter how I adjusted it, the sliver was present. Went from bottom to all the way up and reverse with my cheek on it.

Change head position, change eyebox position. If none of those work, call Vortex

Change head position, change eyebox position. If none of those work, call Vortex
My last resort calling vortex

I might try 0 MOA rings, but still the shadow is there regardless if the optic is on the rifle or I'm holding it by itself

My last resort calling vortex

I might try 0 MOA rings, but still the shadow is there regardless if the optic is on the rifle or I'm holding it by itself
By itself you mean without rings installed? By no adjustment - I'm assuming you were dialing the windage and elevation turrets?

Is the scope near one extreme of the elevation adjustment?

Some scopes will show some vignetting when dialed near the extremes of their adjustment, which is what that looks like. Try playing with the elevation knob and see if the vignetting changes or goes away.

I don't have a gen 2 handy, so I can't try and duplicate the issue. Depending on the design, vignetting sometimes can't be avoided at certain ends of the adjustment range.

By itself you mean without rings installed? By no adjustment - I'm assuming you were dialing the windage and elevation turrets?
I took the scope off of the rifle, looked thru it, then took the rings off, same thing.

Some scopes will show some vignetting when dialed near the extremes of their adjustment, which is what that looks like. Try playing with the elevation knob and see if the vignetting changes or goes away.

I don't have a gen 2 handy, so I can't try and duplicate the issue. Depending on the design, vignetting sometimes can't be avoided at certain ends of the adjustment range.
Hmmmmm

Yes. The scope was zeroed at 50 yards with 22LR ammo with total of 50MOA (rings and scope base) i had to dial down as quite bit to get it zeroed.

Dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It worked

The vignette is gone once i made a full rotation on the elevation turret.

JFC, i lost some sleep on this

Thank you, thank you and thank you again.

Luke

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
Dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It worked

The vignette is gone once i made a full rotation on the elevation turret.

JFC, i lost some sleep on this

Thank you, thank you and thank you again.

Luke

Glad to hear it worked.

It's not just your razor... The s&b 5-25 begins to vignette when it's dialed within about 7.5 mils of the upper or lower limits of elevation and the amount of vignetting increases as you get closer to the limit of elevation adjustment. The s&b 5-25 on my .22 in a 45moa mount and another 5-25 on my 300 PRC in a 40moa mount both show some vignetting at zero, but it goes away as you dial up for longer shots.

Also, depending on the scope, image quality can degrade a bit when the elevation is dialed near the limits of adjustment. The athlon cronus btr I run on my PCP air rifle showed some sharpness/resolution loss if it was dialed within about 4 mils of the lower end of elevation travel, so I reduced the cant in the mount so the elevation was about 6.5 mils up from the bottom at zero-- I didn't want to deal with an image that was always slightly fuzzy at the zero.

Glad to hear it worked.

It's not just your razor... The s&b 5-25 begins to vignette when it's dialed within about 7.5 mils of the upper or lower limits of elevation and the amount of vignetting increases as you get closer to the limit of elevation adjustment. The s&b 5-25 on my .22 in a 45moa mount and another 5-25 on my 300 PRC in a 40moa mount both show some vignetting at zero, but it goes away as you dial up for longer shots.

Also, depending on the scope, image quality can degrade a bit when the elevation is dialed near the limits of adjustment. The athlon cronus btr I run on my PCP air rifle showed some sharpness/resolution loss if it was dialed within about 4 mils of the lower end of elevation travel, so I reduced the cant in the mount so the elevation was about 6.5 mils up from the bottom at zero-- I didn't want to deal with an image that was always slightly fuzzy at the zero.
Everything you just wrote make soo much sense now. Mind blown.

I was actually complaining to a friend of mine about the sharpness at 50 when I was trying to get good groups. Just couldn't get comfortable, wasn't an issue when I shot longer distances.

Thank you again