• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Razor HD clarity issue - owners offer opinions!

Re: Razor HD clarity issue - owners offer opinions

OMFGBYOBBBQ!!!!

I just looked through a Razor HD scope today for the first time. Holy crap. That is one frickin' amazing scope. Unbelievable. Just, well, AMAZING!

Needless to say, I'm going to buy one now...
smile.gif

Mine has always been perfect in fit and function. Not a single hiccup and the glass is damn good too.

Ok, so I sent the scope and mount in and Vortex tested everything. They said it wasnt having any problems when they got it while the scope was unmounted. But I could not tell a difference either way... it was like it was permanently bound or something... they said they tested it with the mount and it was definitely binding. Either way, they are replacing the scope. On the scope I had, the ADM mount put real bad marks in the bottom of the tube.... Vortex said it was egg shaped. They finally got a new mount from ADM that is "windowless" and its working great and its completely round. So they are sending that new mount and a new scope back to me just in case something is wrong since that old mount definitely was pushing on it in a bad way.

Apparently ADM and vortex are going to be working together with ADM making mounts for them and having vortex's name on them... I think im getting one of those new ones. Hopefully they will figure this all out and the mounts and scope will work together from now on.

I am reallly happy with vortex! They are a great company and great to deal with!

Also, I talked to scott at liberty through this whole thing and he is great also!

Re: Razor HD clarity issue - owners offer opinions!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Front ring close to the erector housing and tightened down alot? </div></div>

I quote myself. The problem sounded like the classic tube squish from the get go.
Glad to hear the problem has been found and Vortex is making good!

When mounting a scope its not a bad idea to set tube in rings and check for any binding or gaps, then do the same as the rings are tightened part way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Front ring close to the erector housing and tightened down alot? </div></div>
When mounting a scope its not a bad idea to set tube in rings and check for any binding or gaps, then do the same as the rings are tightened part way. </div></div>
I can understand how you'd look for gaps. But bindings? Could you please explain for those who are dense today?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Front ring close to the erector housing and tightened down alot? </div></div>
When mounting a scope its not a bad idea to set tube in rings and check for any binding or gaps, then do the same as the rings are tightened part way. </div></div>
I can understand how you'd look for gaps. But bindings? Could you please explain for those who are dense today?
smile.gif
</div></div>When you have the scope sitting in your ring bases rotate the scope and move it in a back and forth motion at the same time and as long as your rings and base are nice and true and mounted correctly it should move freely with no binding.

Scott

got my HD today
smile.gif
a thing of absolute beauty lemme tell you. no worries at all
focusing from near to infinite BTW. also the reticule is much less 'busy' than I expected looking at the diagrams on the website. it's the #2MRAD.

But Scott - once the rings are tightened part way, what kind of movement can the scope possibly have? <span style="font-style: italic">Looks like I'm still being dense.</span>
crazy.gif

Vortex will take care of you, their VIP Warranty is second to none

I can say that my 5x20x50 Razor HD is awesome, Clarity and sharpness in the visual is extremely clear, everything rolls thru the adjustments smooth and calibrations seem to be spot on.

I have used their Bino’s for years and it was an easy choice on what scope I was going to use to get things done when the pressure’s on.

Just my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But Scott - once the rings are tightened part way, what kind of movement can the scope possibly have? <span style="font-style: italic">Looks like I'm still being dense.</span>
crazy.gif
</div></div>The most important part is the bottom halves. As long as your scope is sitting nice in the bottom halves usually you are good to go. Now if you have to hammer your top half on then obviously something is wrong. So just make sure when you lay your top halves on the scope that they sit on there nice.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badbowtie03</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like how you're attempting to put all the blame on Vortex wishing for some kind of compensation and taking no responsibility yourself.

Do you know if the mount is actually 35mm and not 34mm ? Is it possible the box is marked wrong.

The torque setting well... we can avoid that discussion since it puts the responsibility in your hands.

Even with Vortex offering to help, you still lament as if this was their fault, meanwhile it appears to be an issue with the rings more so than the scope. Although the scope was clearly the victim.

As someone mentioned, this isn't the only scope to have this issue, we see it happen more and more with another "high end" optic.

This is what happens with people get emotionally involved in a product... because they paid more for the scope it's automatically is the scope's fault meanwhile I don't see anything about the rings... I guess the assumption is, there could be no issue there, like a 34mm set in a 35mm box or something to that effect, because if that was the case I would suspect the results would be the same. </div></div>

Vortex is great. Im not angry with them at all. Im so far VERY please with their service as I had stated earlier.

The mount is a 35mm it is marked right on the rings. I checked before I mounted it.

Scope ring torque? Well, I always did 15 in/lbs usually... This called for 20-25, so I did it on the low side at 20 inch pounds. I did it slowly and evenly as well.

If its the rings fault... then so be it. I have no idea whos it is exactly... but I got that mount as a reccommendation by Scott at liberty who said they were great. And it looks quality just like Scott said. Havent the ADM recons been proven on other scopes? Also, how could it actually "squish" the scope with what seems like such low pressure and torque? I mean 20 inch lbs is nothing in the car world! That is only 1.66 ft lbs on a torque wrench! I work on cars all the time... but maybe this type of aluminum is just soft or someting? I dunno.

Im not emotionally involved. This isnt a woman! haha! It just sucks when stuff like this happens. When you have a lot of travel time, ammo and time put into the setup and this happens.

By the way, I LOVE this optic so far. I LOVE the clicks, the illumination, the zero stops are great, the light gathering was amazing under the moon and I love the fact it can be blown up with tannerite and still perform! haha (thanks lowlight)

I will send it to Vortex and let them study the scope to see if its the scope or those mounts. I will let everyone know what they say. I'm waiting on Sam's call as I type.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.</div></div>
Ah , the pleasures of shooting.
smile.gif
I have my own set of issues I'm working on resolving, but think of the pleasure when everything is as you want it. I think everyone shares your pain.