• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor HD or Cronus around 1500 budget

Tigrexar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2018
Texas
Hello buddies I’m looking to buy a high power scope(over 20x) for range shooting using Savage Ashbury 308(weight wouldn’t be a factor) at around 1500 price range. Optics planet is able to give military discount and bring Razor HD 4.5-27 the price range of Cronus, another dealer offered me Athlon Cronus for a discount also, both under 2000.
Definitely Razor is a higher class scope compared to Cronus, my friends who own other scopes like S&B, TT, NF all saying Razor’s glass is not as clear as the price range from 2500-3500, of course it’s better that Viper PST, but not too much. Their comments really made me reconsider about Razor, if anything cheaper can also do similar level of work, I’d love to go for it. Please share me your experiences on Razor, for instance if I can spend 1500 to get Razor, would K624 be worth the 700/800 cost increase?
Also are there any other good choices at 1500 price range? Glass quality would be priority. Also optics planet wouldn’t combine any other discount with military discount, any other way to bring the cost even lower?
Appreciate any ideas!

Update: called optics planet again, sales person said last time price is calculated wrong, it’s about 2000 for a Razor Hd...

Last edited:
Might want to edit out prices you were quoted from vendors, especially supporting vendors of this site. They offer us great prices on optics but if they publicly post what they are selling them for they can/will get in trouble with the scope manufacturers. That is why you will see vendors on here always quoting prices thru a "pm".

Just a friendly heads up so you don't get anyone in trouble.

Regarding the scopes, I don't think you can go wrong with the athlon cronus Btr or the razor gen 2.

Both scopes have great reputations, great warranty. Glass is subjective but honestly I don't think you can call one better than the other in terms of glass quality.

My suggestion pick which reticle you like best and get one.

Avoid optics planet like the plague, they advertise great prices but they have been known to fib about how long they will take to ship your scope.

Purchase from a vendor here. Call them up and talk on phone and u guarantee you will get the best deal possible. Also ask about military discounts cuz I'm pretty sure all the vendors on this site do those as well.

Good luck
And for what it's worth if it were me, I'd get the razor gen 2

I struggled with this choice for over a year. I ended up going with the Cronus BTR because of the reticle.

I spent some time on shooting non-BTR Cronus and ended up liking the floating cross hair way more than I expected.

You can’t go wrong with either scope.

If you can get a Razor HD Gen 2 for $1500, then buy it immediately without thinking about it. Are you sure you weren't quoted a price for a gen 1 Razor?

Reactions: Cayjotiethumper
A Gen II Razor for $1500?!!! Buy it now and immediately turn around and resell it. You will make money on it and then your options open up even more.
As far as clarity of glass between Cronus and Razor 2, I literally did a side by side at Rainier Arms with several employees helping me. We all agreed that the glass between them is pretty much identical. We also had a Vudu and a NF. I think the NF was a BEAST and the glass in the Cronus and Rzr2 was better than the Vudu and the NF.
The turrets in the new Cronus BTR are much better than the older Cronus, not that they had a problem, but Athlon has improved them even more.
Ultimately, go with the reticle you prefer. I personally am in love with floating centers right now. You can find deals on a Cronus BTR for around $1300 if you look. But that is also the resale value. A Rzr2 for $1500 would be a wise purchase if for no other reason than to make some $ reselling it. Then you can buy what you want and have a few bucks left over for ammo, a new trigger etc.

Buy the Razor II for $1500! That is a steal on a great scope. Having owned the other scopes your friends own and directly comparing the Razor II to the S&B as well as 5 other people I let look and neither they or myself could tell the difference. Also the reticle is better as well as the locking knobs with the clickless zeroing. You will not go wrong with the Razor II and for that price you are going to be even happier with it.

1500 sounds too good to be true on a gen 2 4.5-27.

You won’t find anything close to that quality for 1500. If this price is true, you should be buying at least one, maybe two.

Just called and got their military pricing. Nowhere close to $1500

Might want to edit out prices you were quoted from vendors, especially supporting vendors of this site. They offer us great prices on optics but if they publicly post what they are selling them for they can/will get in trouble with the scope manufacturers. That is why you will see vendors on here always quoting prices thru a "pm".

Just a friendly heads up so you don't get anyone in trouble.

Regarding the scopes, I don't think you can go wrong with the athlon cronus Btr or the razor gen 2.

Both scopes have great reputations, great warranty. Glass is subjective but honestly I don't think you can call one better than the other in terms of glass quality.

My suggestion pick which reticle you like best and get one.

Avoid optics planet like the plague, they advertise great prices but they have been known to fib about how long they will take to ship your scope.

Purchase from a vendor here. Call them up and talk on phone and u guarantee you will get the best deal possible. Also ask about military discounts cuz I'm pretty sure all the vendors on this site do those as well.

Good luck
And for what it's worth if it were me, I'd get the razor gen 2
Thanks for reminding, I already did.

Reactions: Pilotscrappy