• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

RCBS A4 Press

Mattmcoop

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2013
West Texas
Hey there,

I'm looking to buy a press to start reloading .308 with. I have used my friends newer RCBS press and like it a lot. I found a like new in box RCBS A4 press from the 60's for sale that is in mint condition. Would this be a good place to start with my own press? Also, about how much do you think this is worth? I want to make sure I'm not overpaying for something nearly 50 years old.

Thanks guys

I wouldn't go over $250.00, it might fetch more, but parts are hard to come by. Not that that a press should need parts, but if something happens.
I had one, and remember the amount of stroke to run one was huge, sitting didn't work well, standing you had to bend some. But it was built like a tank, handle the biggest chores.

Oh yeah, it was called the "Big Max"

I don't know if there is something special about that particular press.. But if it's just the press, I only paid $40 for my RCBS JR3 used but near perfect no real wear.

Matt,
Does the guy really know what he has there? I've seen them go for over $300.00 on egay.
Does it have the universal jaws?
The press is actually worth some coin, especially to the right person, but for someone just starting out, there's alot of good stuff out there. What was his asking price?

He does know what he has as he claims to have known Fred Hunnington, the founder of RCBS. He used to work with him in the 60's and has never used this press. He has had it out of the box but that is it. He's asking $500 but I'm now thinking that's much too high for even a cool piece of equipment like this.

He very well might get that too. I'd walk, like I said, it was just a big pain, I had mine to do the really big cases, 25-06, and 270, don't laugh!!

He very well might get that too. I'd walk, like I said, it was just a big pain, I had mine to do the really big cases, 25-06, and 270, don't laugh!!

Seriously, $500 seems a bit high to me, but the Big Max A4 does work for big cartridges where relatively few others do. I know that I got one for my H&H 500/450 3-1/4" reloading, because those would not fit in my RCBS Rockchucker. The Big Max worked fine. I'd look at it to check condition and try to dicker with the seller -- unless you can find an alternative.

500 dollars for a single stage from the 1960's sounds like a no go to me. For someone collecting reloading presses? it would be a deal, or if you want something rather unique.
You can buy a CO-AX for less, witch will give you better results and parts availability, a Rockchucker goes for less then 200.
The Op was asking for a press to reload 308 on.

If your looking for a press to load large cartidges on and don't mind paying for quality take a look in my link.
No doubt the best single stage press i have ever used.
Turban Heavy Präzipress Einstationenpresse - grauwolf.net

Have owned one of these for a while, also have a Harrels 4 station turret press, and a 21st century Hydro bullet seater that came in the door the other day.
Have gotten rid of my old presses, as i have what i consider the perfect setup.