• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Charge Master

uncledog57

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2011
Morro Bay, Ca
Just used my new Charge Master. Holy shit batman!! Man if you don't have one, get one!!! This thing is like cheating. A perfect load about every 30 seconds. I don't know whey I never bought one before? But that was a huge mistake!
I weighed them with my bar scale and then my electronic scale and perfect!! All that time with a powder trickle?

Re: RCBS Charge Master

No thanks, I can easily drop, trickle up and pour a charge of 4831 in 15-20 seconds. Glad you like it tho, hope it lasts long enough to make the cost worthwhile.

Uncle you need to do a search on reprograming your chargemaster. This will speed up your CM. After reprograming mine is around 10-12 seconds. Also you want to add a piece of mcdonald's straw(about 3/4 inch) to your powder despensing tube. Just slide it in until 1/4 inch is still out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No thanks, I can easily drop, trickle up and pour a charge of 4831 in 15-20 seconds. Glad you like it tho, hope it lasts long enough to make the cost worthwhile.</div></div>

+1

Yes you must.
Is that the one where you are lying on the floor, beer belly up, surrounded by a vulger display of wealth?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boltripper... I'm totally lost? What does that mean? Unwashed??? </div></div>

Bolt has the hook up on the only thing better than a ChargeMaster... I'm sure he'll post the pictures.

recieved my "unwashed" chargemaster yesterday and love it so far. throws a dead nts charge for me. i will talk to rcbs about speeding it up.

i had a hard enough time scraping up enough of my hard earned funds to get this so your prometheus ain't in the picture dude.

i will shoot a hundred of my .308 loads to a hundred of yours bolt any day, any distance and i doubt you will see a difference to justify it....

the difference i'm sure would be the time it take to load them. i'm sure you win there.

Wow, Thats layin down a challenge there. This could get interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No thanks, I can easily drop, trickle up and pour a charge of 4831 in 15-20 seconds. Glad you like it tho, hope it lasts long enough to make the cost worthwhile. </div></div>
charge master will do that easy if you change the parameters, and if your running two at once i've poured and loaded over 100 308 rounds in just over 1/2 hour, my next step is the big boy boltripper has.

here.......this is a bit old but works well with cheap whiskey...
MVC-001S-4.jpg

then there is this.....mostly unobtainium
ScottyinPrometheusHeavenjpg3.jpg

My Chargemaster has been great. Throws charges quickly with any powder I'm using. Every now and then it throws .1-.2 over and I have to drop a few granules back in the hopper, but other than that I love it.

+/- .1 grain may be fine at 100 yards with the Chargemaster, but it's not cutting it at 1000 yards.

Anyone feeding varget through the cm? It takes me about 120-130 dispenses in order for me to get 75 exact loads. Don't have the problems with the finer powders

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+/- .1 grain may be fine at 100 yards with the Chargemaster, but it's not cutting it at 1000 yards. </div></div>

For "f-class", maybe...I've never shot it, nor am I familiar with the rules. For tactical matches, +/- .1 gr is plenty. Work up a good load via the charge master with good (es/sd), verify it at 300 yards, then practice. You'll be fine...even at 1000 yards.

Just read that reprogramming link. I will try the straw. Thanks! If it works, then I will have to find something new to complain about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+/- .1 grain may be fine at 100 yards with the Chargemaster, but it's not cutting it at 1000 yards. </div></div>

For "f-class", maybe...I've never shot it, nor am I familiar with the rules. For tactical matches, +/- .1 gr is plenty. Work up a good load via the charge master with good (es/sd), verify it at 300 yards, then practice. You'll be fine...even at 1000 yards. </div></div>

I have tried one 20 shot string at one exact measurement, and just for fun tried the next string with a +.1gr difference. I did drop a significant amount of points in that string (600 yard ftr). Just my experience

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coletta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+/- .1 grain may be fine at 100 yards with the Chargemaster, but it's not cutting it at 1000 yards. </div></div>

For "f-class", maybe...I've never shot it, nor am I familiar with the rules. For tactical matches, +/- .1 gr is plenty. Work up a good load via the charge master with good (es/sd), verify it at 300 yards, then practice. You'll be fine...even at 1000 yards. </div></div>

I have tried one 20 shot string at one exact measurement, and just for fun tried the next string with a +.1gr difference. I did drop a significant amount of points in that string (600 yard ftr). Just my experience </div></div>

That is exactly Pipes point, it might make a difference in FTR. I think you will be hard pressed to find someone that will disagree that a +-.1 gr difference won't cut it for precision rifle matches. Alpha01 won the Cup shooting factory ammo. I am pretty sure that Hornady has at least a +-.1 grain variance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+/- .1 grain may be fine at 100 yards with the Chargemaster, but it's not cutting it at 1000 yards. </div></div>

Have you done a side-by-side test with throws from a chargemaster vs. those weighed to the +/- .02 gr?

Just askin'. I currently weigh to the nearest .02 gr, but it is a huge PITA, and I wonder if it actually makes a difference. I wanted to do a test one day. At my charge weight, I have measured the difference per tenth of a grain at 1.67 fps. So we are looking at a difference in ES of 1.67, which roughly makes a difference in SD of less than a foot per second... put that in JBM, and it changes my 175 SMK load by .3" and my Berger 185 LRBT load by the same. .3" is a big deal in benchrest at 100. When you are shooting at a 12" target at 1,000, I don't know if you are giving up a lot.

I am tossing around the idea of going back to the CM. I had one, then I started dumping with a Lee perfect powder measure and trickling up on a VIC-123. So I am getting Prometheus results, but it takes me a couple of hours to charge 75 cases.

I am not spending the money on a Prometheus unless I find a great deal... but I wonder if I am really leaving that much on the table vs. the Chargemaster... and I haven't heard of anyone chronying both side-by-side to see if there is truly a difference. Unfortunately, a lot of the reloading practices we follow get more consistency, but rarely are the gains in accuracy tested... so I was just wondering if you knew of anyone who had tested this.

Friend just got a Denver MX123 scale and measured his CM charges and it was around .02 variance on the Denver scale.

I am beginning to think that the charge weight isn't as important as some people might lead you to believe. On my CM which is inconsistent as hell, I chronoed my 175gr loads the other week, and a 5 shot string was all within 3 FPS within each other. I have several loads for my 7WSM that is around 5 and 7SD through the chrono.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am beginning to think that the charge weight isn't as important as some people might lead you to believe. </div></div>

I have a friend who swears by charging via volume vs. weight, I'm not in that school but he does make a good case in favor of volume.

What do you guys think?

Zediker lays out a wonderful argument for volume versus weight in his "Handloading for Competition" book... and he is wrong. No matter how elegant the argument, if you go to any chemistry lab in the country, you will not find a single one where volume is used to measure powders. Weight determines how much reactant you have, so weight will tell you how much energy you are putting in the case.

Throw several charges using a volume-based charger and weigh them all. With Varget, you will likely get +/- .2 gr. That is too much. +/- .06 gr may not have an impact. +/- .2 gr will have an impact at long range. Short range bench resters throw charges because a handful of fps difference does not make a difference inside of 300 yards. Long range, the difference in MV will make a difference on target. If you ever shoot factory ammo on paper at 100 yards and 1,000 yards on a day with light wind, the group will look up and down at 1,000 yards and round at 100 yards. Factories use volume.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zediker lays out a wonderful argument for volume versus weight in his "Handloading for Competition" book... and he is wrong. No matter how elegant the argument, if you go to any chemistry lab in the country, you will not find a single one where volume is used to measure powders. Weight determines how much reactant you have, so weight will tell you how much energy you are putting in the case.

Throw several charges using a volume-based charger and weigh them all. With Varget, you will likely get +/- .2 gr. That is too much. +/- .06 gr may not have an impact. +/- .2 gr will have an impact at long range. Short range bench resters throw charges because a handful of fps difference does not make a difference inside of 300 yards. Long range, the difference in MV will make a difference on target. If you ever shoot factory ammo on paper at 100 yards and 1,000 yards on a day with light wind, the group will look up and down at 1,000 yards and round at 100 yards. Factories use volume. </div></div>

I completely agree.

I did the straw trick and reprogrammed it. Made a big difference. I can dispense 44gr of Varget in about 10-15 secs without touching it. I would say 1 out of 10 over throws. easy enough to take a couple granules out by hand until it is correct.

Next I need a Giraud!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No thanks, I can easily drop, trickle up and pour a charge of 4831 in 15-20 seconds. Glad you like it tho, hope it lasts long enough to make the cost worthwhile. </div></div>

problem with your timing is that YOU have to spend that time weighing the charge. with the chargemaster, I dont have to spend ANY time weighing charges, thus it's a net savings of 15-20 seconds. I can be doing other things while the scale is trowing the charge like checking each round for run-out and OAL.

chargemaster just makes everything faster.
wink.gif

Couldn't agree more with the OP. I've had mine for a few months and love it. It's a must-have for stick powder. Beats the hell out of the beam scale, although I still keep my old one around. I haven't found the need to tweak the speed settings yet. I can get into a good rhythm priming each case while its charge is being dropped. I might consider it if I moved up to bigger cartridges requiring 50+ gr.

Varget does tend to spill at the last minute and periodically create ~0.02gr overages. Supposedly adding a thick straw at the end of the threaded powder drop tube resolves this but I haven't given it a shot yet. Common wisdom is to use a McDonald's straw but I prefer In-n-Out!

For those of you who have one, remember to close the drain spigot after you empty the hopper. There's nothing more infuriating than pouring a pound of powder in the hopper only to have it immediately start streaming out of the side of the unit... two reloading sessions in a row, ahem.

EDIT: ~0.2 rather than ~0.02gr overages.

'had mine for 3-4 months and agree that there are a few problems. Long grain powders to me, bunch and do sometimes cause a heavy load even with the straw. It's still much more pleasent to use than conventional methods.
My next upgrade was a Giraud case trimmer and now have sped up that process, though I do still use a vld tool to touch up the already adequate chamfer.
Very little of this equipment would ever be without it's small imperfections, but some of it is 'close'.

Any of you ever compare a Hornday Lock N Load to a Charge Master?

I wanted the Charge Master but got the Hornday on a smoking deal. It works well, does go over every once in awhile. My issues with it sound exactly the same as a CM.

I have been thinking of getting a CM as well, and comparing.