• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

RCBS Chargemaster from Natchez

1911jerry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2006
The free state of Texas
If you are going to be getting once of the RCBS chargemaster scale and powder dump, Natchez has them on sale for $279. If you purchase $300 of RCBS products and send in the online rebate coupon from the RCBS website with the sales reciepts, you get a $50 rebate.

Pretty cheap way to get one.

Jerry

Re: RCBS Chargemaster from Natchez

Good lead, thanks for the heads up, I've got a buddy fixing to jump on one, I'll pass this on.

Damn. Just ordered one from MidwayUSA with their $30 off code. Wish I would have seen this first. Could have saved me $20 more bucks.

If you buy it for $279 from Natchez though, does it still qualify for the $50 rebate since the standard retail price is over $300? I guess you'd just add $20 worth of RCBS product to top it off.

Interestingly enough, MidwayUSA just sold out of the ChargeMaster... canceled my order.

Looks like I better check on that item at Natchez.

Just looking around it looks like if I add one of the RCBS bullet pullers it puts my cart at $300.20. Hard to get much closer than that and I need a puller anyway.

I assume this scale can be used independent of the dispense feature? I already have the RCBS 750 scale which I would get rid of if I get this one.

love my charge master just saying. also have had it sence it came out and last year it fried and was about 6 years out of warrant but for 40 dollars rcbs sent me a new unit ,that is the shipping . could not be happier with rcbs

I got mine from Natchez. You do have to get $300 worth of RCBS products to get it. I added a media seperater and also a primer tray and it just ticked over $300. So in essence, I got the serperater and primer tray for free and $25 off the CM1500.

But to be honest with you guys, I find myself using the CM less and less. I kind of wish that I spent the money on a good balance beam instead. Don't get me wrong. It works GREAT. But I figured for absolute consistency, a balance beam would be better. I really take my time when I'm doing my precision loads anyways so I would rather have more accurate powder charge than save 20 seconds of measuring powder. And anything that I'm loading for plinking goes in the progressive anyways...so the CM is kind of sitting in between and not filling other role. Just my 0.02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just looking around it looks like if I add one of the RCBS bullet pullers it puts my cart at $300.20. Hard to get much closer than that and I need a puller anyway.

I assume this scale can be used independent of the dispense feature? I already have the RCBS 750 scale which I would get rid of if I get this one. </div></div>

Yea you can detach it from the dispenser and it can work alone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just looking around it looks like if I add one of the RCBS bullet pullers it puts my cart at $300.20. Hard to get much closer than that and I need a puller anyway.

I assume this scale can be used independent of the dispense feature? I already have the RCBS 750 scale which I would get rid of if I get this one. </div></div>

I did the same thing! Except I also added a .204 bullet puller collet. Put me at $312.13 - $50 (rebate) = $262.15

Can't beat that with and ugly stick!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got mine from Natchez. You do have to get $300 worth of RCBS products to get it. I added a media seperater and also a primer tray and it just ticked over $300. So in essence, I got the serperater and primer tray for free and $25 off the CM1500.

But to be honest with you guys, I find myself using the CM less and less. I kind of wish that I spent the money on a good balance beam instead. Don't get me wrong. It works GREAT. But I figured for absolute consistency, a balance beam would be better. I really take my time when I'm doing my precision loads anyways so I would rather have more accurate powder charge than save 20 seconds of measuring powder. And anything that I'm loading for plinking goes in the progressive anyways...so the CM is kind of sitting in between and not filling other role. Just my 0.02. </div></div>

While I personally prefer the chargemaster for precision loads, if someone is planning on using it for plinking or pistol loads its a waste of money... the precision of a rcbs thrower will be more than sufficient for those applications. Waiting for the CM to trickle and trickle and weigh etc will take 10x longer than flipping the handle on the thrower for say a cheap .223 ar plinking round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got mine from Natchez. You do have to get $300 worth of RCBS products to get it. I added a media seperater and also a primer tray and it just ticked over $300. So in essence, I got the serperater and primer tray for free and $25 off the CM1500.

But to be honest with you guys, I find myself using the CM less and less. I kind of wish that I spent the money on a good balance beam instead. Don't get me wrong. It works GREAT. But I figured for absolute consistency, a balance beam would be better. I really take my time when I'm doing my precision loads anyways so I would rather have more accurate powder charge than save 20 seconds of measuring powder. And anything that I'm loading for plinking goes in the progressive anyways...so the CM is kind of sitting in between and not filling other role. Just my 0.02. </div></div>

While I personally prefer the chargemaster for precision loads, if someone is planning on using it for plinking or pistol loads its a waste of money... the precision of a rcbs thrower will be more than sufficient for those applications. Waiting for the CM to trickle and trickle and weigh etc will take 10x longer than flipping the handle on the thrower for say a cheap .223 ar plinking round. </div></div>

Yeah, my RCBS standard measure is generally accurate to within about +/-.15 of a grain (on a weird throw it might hit .2gn but that is not common). So on a small caliber like .223 that is only a 1.15% difference in a 27 grain charge. On bigger capacity cases like 7-08 or 308 that 3 grain spread is only 0.8% difference in say, a 37 grain charge. That is plenty accurate for most any type of shooting (like you said).

I shoot mainly competition and prairie dogs. Both of which require high precision. For everyday shooting ammo I will continue to batch process using my standard RCBS measure.

I have a buddy that just shook his head in disapproval when I told him I am buying a ChargeMaster. I reminded him that he and I both have quite a few guns that we paid way more than that for and they just sit in the safe and never see the light of day. I figure I'll use the crap out of this so for me personally I can justify the price.

Doesn't matter where you get all your stuff from, as long as you have a total of $300 worth of stuff on recepts, you can use the rebate.

OR, if you don't need that much, they have a 2nd offer of $10 on $50 as well.

RCBS $50 Rebate

RCBS $10 Rebate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just looking around it looks like if I add one of the RCBS bullet pullers it puts my cart at $300.20. Hard to get much closer than that and I need a puller anyway.

I did the same thing! Except I also added a .204 bullet puller collet. Put me at $312.13 - $50 (rebate) = $262.15

Can't beat that with and ugly stick! </div></div>

Yep, I added a .270 collet for my 6.8's and some Imperial wax too. Hard to pass up a good deal. I hope it works as advertised. I see mostly good comments on it. There were good comments on the Hornady scale combo too on Midway's site until I got to the recent comments....seems like they may have let their initial quality slip. Too bad, it was about $220 for that one.

if you print out the natchez Ad and bring it into a cabelas store they will price match it....that is what I just did

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango 396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you print out the natchez Ad and bring it into a cabelas store they will price match it....that is what I just did </div></div>

Nicely done. I used to love the Cabelas Whe I was down in AZ. Now that I am in CO the closest Cabelas is in Wyoming.

I am happy that midway was out of them and I was able to cancel. Saved me another twenty bones.

How does everyone like these little items. Are the accurate? Do you have to keep calibrating them? I'm thinking of getting a dispenser to speed up output if it's worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango 396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you print out the natchez Ad and bring it into a cabelas store they will price match it....that is what I just did </div></div>

I tried that, but they still told me to beat feet. I cannot stand to give that company any money. I like that they built a store for me to shop around in and get ideas, then just order online. Their customer service is horrible IMO. I was going to buy a cz75 from them, it was $25 more than gun broker, and theirs had a small scratch on it. I asked them to discount it and they would not. Not to mention I waited over an hour to talk to someone at the gun counter.

Got my shipping notice last night, should have my new Chargemaster in my hands by tomorrow. Looking forward to giving it a workout as soon as I get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gasitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango 396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you print out the natchez Ad and bring it into a cabelas store they will price match it....that is what I just did </div></div>

I tried that, but they still told me to beat feet. I cannot stand to give that company any money. I like that they built a store for me to shop around in and get ideas, then just order online. Their customer service is horrible IMO. I was going to buy a cz75 from them, it was $25 more than gun broker, and theirs had a small scratch on it. I asked them to discount it and they would not. Not to mention I waited over an hour to talk to someone at the gun counter. </div></div>

Sadly this sounds a lot like our Gander Mountain here... I've vowed to never buy another firearm there, and I only buy reloading components there if my local pawn doesn't have what I need. Customer service is horrid and %95 of the guys in the gun dept. don't know their asshole from a hole in the ground, and get outright rude when you try to explain or correct something for them.

Sorry to hijack, just had to rant. On the Chargemaster, I got one for Xmas and <span style="font-weight: bold">love</span> it. I did the McDonalds straw trick, and so far, it has stayed within .1g for me over about 500 rds of .308. One of my favorite investments so far.

Got my Chargemaster yesterday. I set it up last night and used it for about 30 rounds. I have not done the straw mod yet, but I can see that it is needed. I set the unit up, calibrated it, filled it with powder and got started. I was dropping a charge of 29.5 of Reloader 7. The first several went fine. Then I would notice it would get to 29.4 and keep trying to trickle but the tube was not moving at all it seems once the load got that close. A couple of times I had to tap the tube to get the powder to fall to get that last .1 it was looking for.

I also noticed when I would close the clear cover it would throw my charge weight off considerably. It did not appear to be contacting anything but it sure threw off the scale several grains just by closing it. I still need to investigate that some more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I also noticed when I would close the clear cover it would throw my charge weight off considerably. It did not appear to be contacting anything but it sure threw off the scale several grains just by closing it. I still need to investigate that some more. </div></div>

Heating / AC air on the scale will affect weight. Breathing on it can affect it too. Close the clear cover for consistent true charge weights.

also static can have an effect on the scale, I store mine with a bounce sheet under the cover when not in use .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: caustic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also static can have an effect on the scale, I store mine with a bounce sheet under the cover when not in use . </div></div>

I wiped the wind cover and the powder tube down with a dryer sheet earlier today. I haven't used it yet to know if it helped. Been busy processing brass. Looks like my new 6.8 upper should be showing up on Friday so I will get lots of ammo loaded up this week.

I ordered mine at Natchez last Thursday (along with a small base .223 die to hit the 300) and it supposed to be here this Thursday. I looking forward to trying it out. When I was asking around on this site about problems with it, someone replied with a video link on how to correct the overthrow, etc....

What I found recently is to make sure you turn off the unit if moving it around or dumping the powder out.

Mine freaked out and locked up with G 7 on the screen.

When seperated from the dispenser the scale worked fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowstalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered mine at Natchez last Thursday (along with a small base .223 die to hit the 300) and it supposed to be here this Thursday. I looking forward to trying it out. When I was asking around on this site about problems with it, someone replied with a video link on how to correct the overthrow, etc.... </div></div>

Did you get it?

Pretty sure I'm going to take the plunge on one of these too. I loaded up some rounds today and I am just sick of throwing light and finishing it off with a trickler, with Varget. Read many reviews on this thing today, and it sounds promising.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale.

I got mine last week. They are still on sale with a rebate available as well if you spend over $300 on RCBS products!!!

I've had a chargemaster for quite some time. I like it and use it quite a bit. It is accurate, but I always weigh check my chargemaster loads that I use for matches, on a beam scale for absolute consistency.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a chargemaster for quite some time. I like it and use it quite a bit. It is accurate, but I always weigh check my chargemaster loads that I use for matches, on a beam scale for absolute consistency. </div></div>

So how often do you find unacceptable variances in your charge? And what is that amount?

Thanks

Just picked this up since RCBS is still having the rebate. What a slick piece of equipment. It made load development a piece of cake. If it holds up to routine use, which I am sure it will, I have nothing but positive to say about this product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a chargemaster for quite some time. I like it and use it quite a bit. It is accurate, but I always weigh check my chargemaster loads that I use for matches, on a beam scale for absolute consistency. </div></div>

So how often do you find unacceptable variances in your charge? And what is that amount?

Thanks</div></div>

Variances are only .1 to .2 grs. with the chargemaster. Not alot for the average shooter and my practice ammo, but for F Class matches that I shoot at 600-1000 yards, I prefer my powder to be 100% accurate. I use a Redding Model #2 beam scale for checking my chargemaster loads.

I got it and couldnt be happier with it. I checked against a trusted RCBS beam and it was very consistent. I'll be "reprogramming" it with the instructions RCBS sent me tonight. Great Piece of Equipment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowstalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got it and couldnt be happier with it. I checked against a trusted RCBS beam and it was very consistent. I'll be "reprogramming" it with the instructions RCBS sent me tonight. Great Piece of Equipment </div></div>

Would you like to share those "official" instructions?

I don't want to discourage any of you guys, especially since I've built some nice .5 MOA loads on mine, but I'm on my third Chargemaster, and out $120 + shipping. As you might imagine, I feel like I've gotten screwed on this deal. Other companies have lifetime warranties, but not RCBS. Just be advised, the quality control on these 'Made in China' units is pretty poor. I've had mine since it came out.

I'm not an expert but I believe the Lyman and Honady versions are also made in China.
Here you go. They were sent to me by Richard Miller of RCBS but it looks as though it was written by Don Legg of RCBS:

Chargemaster 1500 Speed Adjustment

1. Turn the unit on.
2. When 0.0gn is on the display, press BOTH the ENTER and the EDIT MEM keys on the dispenser at the same time. Hold for a second and then release. If done properly ADJUST PARAMETER should scroll across the display followed by HSP 00015.68 (This number represents the number of grains away from your entered charge when the tube will shift from fast speed to medium speed. That is at 15.68 gn from your target charge the dispenser will shift from fast to medium speed.) To speed up the unit, this number needs to be decreased and to slow down the unit, this number needs to be increased. (On a slow unit, I would change this number to11.00 gn this is done by pressing the following keys: 1 1 0 0 ENTER (pressing the enter key sets that value and moves to next setting in program in this case, to medium speed to slow speed setting)
3. HSP 00003.42 should scroll across the display now. This number represents where the unit will shift from medium to slow speed. Using the same process as before in # 2. For a slow unit I would change this number to 2.50 gn this is done by pressing the following keys: 2 5 0 ENTER (pressing the enter key sets that value and moves to next setting in program in this case, to slow speed to trickle speed setting)
4. HSP 00001.08 should now scroll across the screen. This number represents where the unit will shift from slow speed to trickle. Using the same process as before in # 2. For a slow unit I would change this number to .90 gn this is done by pressing the following keys: 9 0 ENTER
5. This is all the adjustment that needs to be done to the unit. You need to press the ENTER key to cycle through the rest of the program. (approx. 22 times) The unit will start its normal initial countdown process when this is done. You need to test out the dispenser now. Enter your target charge and dispense. I usually disregard the first charge. Throw a few charges at these settings to see if they will work for you. If they don’t, return to step # 2 and repeat the process. NOTE due to powder variations you may have to adjust the unit for each powder. If you have any questions about this matter please call our customer service line 800-533-5000 my name is Don Legg and I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

I received mine a few days ago and I have to say that I love this thing. It is great! Accurate and fast, shoots out powder charges in the blink of an eye (once reprogrammed). I loaded 100 .300 win mag / 180 .308 win / 100 .22-250 rem and 100 .223 rem so far with this unit. It seems to have cut my load time in half.