• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Chargemaster or other electronic powder scales/dispensers

cactusbrew

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2004
Alaska
I'm looking at getting an electronic powder scale/dispenser for precision rifle reloading and wanted to see what everyone thought of the RCBS or provide me with a better opportunity.

I currently weigh and trickle every precision load I have for my 308, 300WSM, and 338LM and wanted to possibly upgrade to an electronic powder dispenser if the accuracy was there. The RCBS unit advertises as +/-.1 grains, so is this real and actual, or merely a marketing tool? Or is there another electronic dispenser I should look at altogether?

I'm not adverse to spending the money necessary but I doubt I'm at the level of a Prometheus of something to that degree. For my precision rifles, I load a couple thousand rounds a year, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

For all of my other reloading, I use a Dillon progressive machine.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at getting an electronic powder scale/dispenser for precision rifle reloading and wanted to see what everyone thought of the RCBS or provide me with a better opportunity.

I currently weigh and trickle every precision load I have for my 308, 300WSM, and 338LM and wanted to possibly upgrade to an electronic powder dispenser if the accuracy was there. The RCBS unit advertises as +/-.1 grains, so is this real and actual, or merely a marketing tool? Or is there another electronic dispenser I should look at altogether?

I'm not adverse to spending the money necessary but I doubt I'm at the level of a Prometheus of something to that degree. For my precision rifles, I load a couple thousand rounds a year, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

For all of my other reloading, I use a Dillon progressive machine.

Thanks in advance.

I never read anything that suggested there was a better, simular, unit out there like the Lyman.
It's something you have to keep a eye on. I pull the cup, dump it unto a good beam scale and then verify after starting the next cycle. It utilizes the down time while the screw is running. Since it is faster to add powder then to subtract; I sometimes set it below and trickle the last few kernals on the beam scale. This depends on the powder.

Re-Calibration is often required during a long evenings work. AC conducted noise and local EMI like florescent lamps are reported to additionally effect it.

It's not perfect but it still saves time. I'm pretty cautious with it. The beam scale verification has increased over short time when I first got it to 100%. I'm one of those anal tards where if I found it was a tad off after charging many brass, I would dump the tray. There seems to be a decent amount of hysterisis, error, or deviation in the integrated scale if it is not kept in check. The noted throw issues with long grains are a separate issue.

The Chargemaster is probably the best of its class. With the ability to change the operating parameters you can tweak operation to your load and powder type. The straw mod is also a help. You'll find this on another recent thread. I throw a change and verify its weight on a second scale before dumping it in the case. You can usually tell by sound and length of operation when a charge is oversized. With the mods I experience that with maybe 1% of my loads.

Could someone tell me how long it takes to meter out 92 grains of powder? Is it 5 seconds or 15 secords or?

i find the CM indispensable for doing load development (quick changes) and works great for hunting rounds. I picked up a Gempro 250 a month back, and I've been taking to running the CM 1-2 grs short, and trickling up with the Gempro. Seems to be working pretty well...albeit a little slower, but that doesn't matter when you are only doing 50 rounds at a time.

MidSouthShooters.com has them for $289.00 also. Just ordered mine last Friday.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I've had my CM for just about a week now.
It's a whole new world out there. I can't believe I went so long without one.

B

I load on a S1050.

I let the Dillon powder drop get me within a CH short than I pull the filled case after the powder drop and trickle a few kernels of stick (and it really is just a few kernels) on a Dillon balance scale.

I can load 50 rounds of 30-06 in about an hour or so going from clean machine back to clean machine.

I got rid of my digital scale as it never gave me confidence/consistent readings. I blame my reloading environment not the equipment for that issue. I never tried a Chargemaster but I dont think it will be any faster/better than what I'm doing.

I have a CM and I like it very much. When using a extruded powder it has a tendency to throw a couple kernels over. It holds the scale at the weight it is set to distribute, which is just an idiosyncrasy it has--if you pick the scale pan up and sit it back down on the scale it will show you the true weight. The straw modification minimizes this tendency to a large degree. Other than this mine works very well, and it isn't effected by flourescent lights or my cell phone, both of which I use often. FYI I have a laboratory scale that is accurate way beyond what is needed for reloading, and it confirms that my CM scale is accurate to the advertised .01
I formerly had a Pact, and it worked well, but had the challenge of needing to go though a rather lengthy calibration process, every time you fired it up, or changed powders. It was also slightly slower than the RCBS

There are also some CM reprogramming instructions you can use to speed up your throws. Don't be too aggressive with it or you may get over throws and it helps to tailor the programming to the charge weights you use the most.

Fish, Thanks for that comment. We ought to do some group testing and create a sticky forum for the CM. I tried serveral mods in order to enhance it's accuracy. When throwing 4895 I noticed it would bunch up at the end of the tube in the threads and under throw the charge. The threads are cut so they drive the material back up the tube and not out of the tube. This is why the straw mod must help with stick powder. The South African website listing all the programming parameters seems to be gone. It would be nice to have a total listing of what each parameter does. It constantly overthrows Varget so I would like to slow down the bump speed at the very end to see if this helps.

I started with the ChargeMaster, finally killed it after a few years. Went with that POS lyman DPS III, it worked exactly once & never turned on again. My hunting partner & I bought the Hornady a year or 2 ago, it works but not as well as the ChargeMaster did. The Hornady constantly overthrows no matter what I try, my settings are a full 1.5grains below what I want. The Hornady is on it's last leg, it won't calibrate anymore & the scale is becoming erratic. Now that I've used & killed all 3, I'm going back to the RCBS.

t

I have both the CM1500 and the Lyman1200 and the CM is FAR FAR better!

As proven in a side/side test posted on AccurateShooter.com

As for the CM dropping an overcharge, add the straw and it's no big deal. Varget is difficult but when I use CFE223, every charge is dropped at a perfect weight.

My Chargemaster throws heavy (+.2 - +.3 grains) consistently using RL19 & RL22. Once in a while it will send out slow only, taking ~50 seconds to feed a charge.
Seems to work better when it's room temperature rather than the 40 degrees in my garage....

I'll look for the straw mod.
Otherwise, don't know why I never had one earlier.

When I need dead nutz, I measure out with the CM and then finish on my Ohaus balance beam scale.

I started with the ChargeMaster, finally killed it after a few years. Went with that POS lyman DPS III, it worked exactly once & never turned on again. My hunting partner & I bought the Hornady a year or 2 ago, it works but not as well as the ChargeMaster did. The Hornady constantly overthrows no matter what I try, my settings are a full 1.5grains below what I want. The Hornady is on it's last leg, it won't calibrate anymore & the scale is becoming erratic. Now that I've used & killed all 3, I'm going back to the RCBS.

t

For 40.00 you can get a new scale from RCBS

I bought my ChargeMaster about a month ago and I'll tell ya it's the "Bee's Knee's". It has the auto-dispense feature which is AWESOME. I have thrown about 400 rounds through mine and I would say about 8 out of 100 are overthrown. I have since added the "McDonalds Straw" and now the over-throws are about 3 or 4 out of 100. Best money I have ever spent besides my RCBS Case Prep Center.

Never played with the CM, but my route is a hornady throw that I DO NOT throw in the case, I throw it on the scale (in a pan), then pour to the case. Tad slower, but cheap and works for when it REALLY want it EXACT.

The CM and my Giraud trimmer are the two best auxiliary reloading items I own. My CM will throw TAC, H335 and H322 the best all day long, but it really surprised me this past week at how accurately it metered out semi-long kernel powders like Vh135 and Vh140. Have had little problem with Varget and the McStraw helped that (and, yes, the McDonald's straw is better than other plastic straws -- has something to do with the precise diameter of the straw. I grabbed a half dozen of 'em with my last Big Mac in case Obama bans those diameter straws or buys out the factory that makes them.)

I also punched in the recommended tweak settings from another thread and it runs even better than when I first got it six years ago.

I look forward to the next incarnation of this machine and at the same time hope they don't screw it up.

Last edited:
The CM and my Giraud trimmer are the two best auxiliary reloading items I own. My CM will throw TAC, H335 and H322 the best all day long, but it really surprised me this past week at how accurately it metered out semi-long kernel powders like Vh135 and Vh140. Have had little problem with Varget and the McStraw helped that (and, yes, the McDonald's straw is better than other plastic straws -- has something to do with the precise diameter of the straw. I grabbed a half dozen of 'em with my last Big Mac in case Obama bans those diameter straws or buys out the factory that makes them.)

I also punched in the recommended tweak settings from another thread and it runs even better than when I first got it six years ago.

I look forward to the next incarnation of this machine and at the same time hope they don't screw it up.

I too am getting a Giraud trimmer. I've been using a Forster trimmer for years but after reading so much about the Giraud, I've decided to make the switch to it as well.

It looks like i've been convinced and will be purchasing a CM this evening. If its everything its turned out to be, I will probably by a second, just so I can speed up the reloading process even more.

Thanks everyone for the help and the links. I really hope its as good as everyone states. :)

I think that once you adjust your first CM for optimal performance, you won't have a need for a second one -- unless, of course, you just want one or have a bunch of different weights and powders to dispense at one time. One CM alone is pretty darn fast and gives you enough time to concentrate on what you are doing. Multi-tasking in reloading for accuracy is not always a good thing.

Curious, what would you do with a second CM as far as speeding up your process goes? If you get two identical metal powder pails (all of maybe $5-$8) and put the CM on Auto, then you can just swap pails as soon as one finishes filling the charge, replace the pail, then dump the first charge into a case and by the time you have that done the next pail will be filled and ready for the next case.

The only good reason for a second CM is that you can have two different powders ready to go, but then you have the chance of dumping the wrong powder in the wrong case!

But if you want two, then cool, get a second one. I just don't see how two would speed up your process of loading for accuracy.

Have you looked at this bit of kit here in the UK - http://www.targetmasteruk.com - alot more precise than a charge master and i actually own a charge master! Take a look at the video and see what you think. Throw the majority of your load with any device and finish it off with great bit of engineering.

My Hornady auto charge just went belly up. I had it for ~ 2 years and its dead. I only loaded ~ 2,000 rounds on it. The scale won't hold zero and just wonders constantly. I contacted Horndy to see if they would offer me some kind of discount since its out of its 1 year warranty. I was just told sorry to hear of your problem and there is only a 1 year warranty so you need to buy a new one.

I thought Hornady touts the quality of the products and service? I'm really disapointed with the Hornady auto charge and their supposed excellent customer service.

Have you looked at this bit of kit here in the UK - http://www.targetmasteruk.com - alot more precise than a charge master and i actually own a charge master! Take a look at the video and see what you think. Throw the majority of your load with any device and finish it off with great bit of engineering.

There is a very similar US auto trickler using the same technology - Quicker, more accurate and cheaper than a chargemaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF-jL2kJRUc

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbw5k2zUxyU

I just ordered my CM from MidSouth Thursday. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can follow all the advice in this thread about tuning it. I'm sick and tired of weighing Varget by hand! LOL

I have had my chargemaster since August of 2012 and could not be happier. Many people complain of having wild charges, but I have found that as long as it does not have air conditioning blowing on it, and one actually follows the calibration procedure, it is very accurate. I still check against a beam scale every once in a while, but nary get a reading that is .1 off.

Keep an eye on Palmetto state Armory, last year they had a sale 25% off all RCBS reloading gear, and they had the scale for $280 originally, sold it for $210, then I got $50 back in December, making it one hell of an price.

Another vote for the chargemaster here... I haven't had any of these wild charges, so not sure if they've made an adjustment with the newest models (mines only a couple months old). I'm fairly new to reloading so i've been measuring against two scales just to confirm. So far so good, couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

Thanks for all of the advice and information folks. I ordered a chargemaster late last week and its supposed to be here at the end of this week, so to say I'm excited is an understatement. I always enjoy adding new equipment to the reloading room. :)

I just ordered my CM from MidSouth Thursday. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can follow all the advice in this thread about tuning it. I'm sick and tired of weighing Varget by hand! LOL

Of all the different powdwers I've thrown with my CM, Varget is the trickyest and most variable. The straw and the straw with the crown cut really help but I still get some overthrows but nothing over 0.1gr

I actually found it better not to use the crown cut.... just a straight mcd's straw mod cut for varget, which pretty much works for all powders for me.

Of all the different powdwers I've thrown with my CM, Varget is the trickyest and most variable. The straw and the straw with the crown cut really help but I still get some overthrows but nothing over 0.1gr

Hey guys, I have to move my reloading to the garage. Can I leave my CM in the garage when not in use or do I need to move it into the house. Will the high humidity affect it if left in the garage.
Thanks

I love mine. Had it for 3 years now, no issues and you can meddle with the settings to speed it up if you want. I've never had an issue in the garage as long as it's not drafty. A lot of people turn their nose at a digital scale, but I think they are very accurate. I highly recommend the Shut Drain First Mod:

IMG_20130328_195809_zps00223daf.jpg