• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS expander/flaring

GoatLD259

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2020
United States
Good evening Hide,

When reloading pistol rounds are "expanding" and "flaring" the same thing?

I am curious because it says in the description for these dies, that the expander also imparts case mouth flare/bell.

Also, this item here, is an expander in conjunction with a powder feeder. Does this also do "flaring" as well?

I would like to have a set up like this:

1. Decap/size
2. Powder charge/expand case mouth
3. lockout die
4. bullet feeder die
5. seat/ crimp

Thank you

Goat

Typically expand and flare on the same step ... Expands slightly first and then tapers into a flare The further you run into the die the more it will flare.
On a progressive it can do all 3 in one station.

Is that pistol powder expander what you are referring to when doing all 3 in one station (expand, flare, powder feed)?

Goat

The one I use is a Dillon in a progressive ... pretty much a similar concept, but when pushed up by the pistol case it activates the powder drop at the same time it expands and bells the mouth f the case

That's the same way my Lee works. Flare/drop powder in one step, seat bullet next without crimp, then factory crimp die. At least with 45ACP and 9mm.

The RCBS expander/flaring die has an identical profile to the Lyman M die. The Lyman is a bare stainless and the RCBS is a coated metal. Neither of these dies is anything like the Lee. Their purpose is to expand the ID of the case for proper bullet tension and to put a very short step in the case where the bullet sits until seated into the expanded portion. Additionally, there is a slight bell at the top of the case that makes it easy to place the bullet into the short step. If you closely examine the profile, you will see that Redding, RCBS, Lyman M, and Hornady flaring all have similar profiles while the Lee is essentially for flaring and maybe a very short expander. My experience is that each seems to work a little bit different for each handgun caliber and that with a little experimenting you will find the one with the best sweet spot. The expanders are a valuable tool in your tool box, especially if you use range brass with many different brass dimensions, all within SAAMI specs.