• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rcbs or lee ?

Re: rcbs or lee ?

I've used and own both. If your low on cash go with Lee. You didn't mention what cal you plan to relod. Most people look down on Lee, but I have never had 1 problem with them in over 30 years of reloading. If you plan on shooting in competition there are specialty dies you might want to try.

don't plan on shooting comp but, would like to be able to make good ammo for mainly hunting and a litle target shooting. i'm shooting a FN A5M SPR 3OOWSM with a trijicon tr23 5x20x50. i had a rcbs and it got the job done. lost my guns and all my reloading stuff during hurricane katrina. getting back into shooting again, was just wanting to hear from some folks that have used these press.

RCBS all the way if it was my pick. Lee stuff just looks and
feels so cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">witch do you recomend? </div></div>

Nothing is wrong with the Lee system, but if your budget permits, I would go with RCBS.

I have used Lee stuff for a while and never had a problem. They worked so good that I bought another press. The Lee kit gets you the bare minimum to start. But you will still need a trimmer down the road. As the years went on, I slowly replaced certain items with other brands of stuff for convenience. You will probably want to replace the beam scale down the road as well. It works quite well and is dead on with my digital scales, but it takes longer to use beam scales because it has to balance out. Also, you might want to look at a primer crimp remover. The deburring tool that comes with the kit ok getting those crimps out, but leaves something to be desired.

IMO, save the cash and buy more bullets, powders, brass, and primers with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is swaging? </div></div>

It is the process used to make jacketed bullets.

"Lee or RCBS; witch do you recomend?"

For what? Press? Dies? Scale? Measure? Case Trimmer? Etc.?

Both make a variety in each catagory so the model varies as much as anything else. On average you can load just as well with either brand; skill counts a lot but color of the box doesn't much matter.

I have to agree,skill is important.Any brand of equipment can make accurate ammo if used correctly.This is not saying that we don't all have our favorites.Which is best is kinda like Ford vs Chevy.Really,there is not a wrong choice,so just pick your favorite color and go shoot. Pete

I use both regularly. I have both brand presses and dies. I love to use the Lee collets for just neck sizing and then a redding to FL and bump the shoulder back when they get tight.

Lee makes some good stuff, some not so good.

The Lee Classic Cast (iron) press is great, better than the RCBS top of the line RCII single stage press (better spent primer handling, larger ram w/more bearing surface, fully adjustable handle for left/right hand, angle and length of throw. Oh yeah, LCC is cheaper too.

Lee makes a couple of types of dies that are unique: Collet type rifle neck sizers, and collet type factory crimp dies for rifle and bottleneck pistol cartridges. These are excellent designs, but often suffer from poor material choices, fit/finish, or both. I usually have to polish the collet & closer for acceptably smooth and consistent operation, but they work very well after that.

Lee dies have a unique lock ring design that some people like, but I cannot stand them.

Lee also makes a very good, simple case trimmer system, assuming you do not need adjustable trim length.

RCBS makes a great hand primer (Universal Hand Primer) & X-sizer die (FL sizer that needs no case trimming after initial trim).

I'd recommend you look at Forster reloading dies, and if your budget allows, the Forster Co-Ax single stage press. Also Wilson case trimmer.

Andy

"RCBS makes a great hand primer (Universal Hand Primer) & X-sizer die (FL sizer that needs no case trimming after initial trim)."

Lee recently introduced a new handheld primer that appears to address problems some folks had with the original version.
The original Lee AutoPrime has worked fine for me for some 20 years or so but the new one does look even better.

I started out with the Lee Auto Prime. It worked fine, unless I was priming more than a hundred or so cartridges at a time, then my thumb would get numb. The AP (and AP XR) lever is entirely thumb actuated, and that gets old real fast. The UHP uses the whole hand to actuate, and is more comfortable for me. If that is not a problem for you, the new XR looks like it has a new larger square tray. However, the APXR tray does not slip off the handle and lay flat on the bench for easier loading with primers. And it still needs shell holders, and a $4 trip back to Lee to work with cartridges like the WSM series.

I bought two UHP's, one to keep set up in each primer size. However, the trays are universal, so I can fill both trays with large primers and go to town priming 45 colt.

Andy

Most of my lee stuff has been fine. I have loaded 1000's or rounds of rifle ammo on a lee press with great results. The lee progressive press's are a different story. Avoid them like the plague.

Either for dies, IMO.

Lee for hand primer, it works smooth enough and is cheap enough that you can break one every four years and not be out a lot of money. I've seen only one break anyway, but the cheesy lit doesn't want to stay put...a rubber band replaced every year does it for me. 25 years on mine.

RCBS for presses, single-stage. Hornady or Dillon for progressive.

Wilson or Lee for trimming. Anyone's for chamfer tools. Those trimmers with the stupid collet style holder that clamp on the case head drift all over...tighter grip/smaller casehead draws the whole thing farther back from the cutter, and turning the lever to the same "clock" position doesn't work for long either because the collet can rotate in its cone-shaped mount. Throws off your calibration. Why no "indexing" slot to prevent that is just bonehead stupid.

Final word on dies--RCBS X-die if your rifle is long-chambered and brass is more likely to grow. It's a sweet system and lets you trim once and then fuggedaboudit until the brass bites the dust. Just trim FIRST.

I don't know who to recommend any more for decrimping military brass, and I don't know that such is on your list of needs anyway. The RCBS system and the C-H system I have used both demand a single-stage press and regular shellholder. The Dillon is trick but overpriced by double, AFIC. I mean, it doesn't have the fit and finish of a Star progressive reloader or sizer/lube machine, so don't price it like one! The C-H system, if they still make it, is MORE durable than RCBS. I've bent the inside mandrel a few times, .30 and .223, especially .223, from getting just one piece of *different* brass in the batch...even after sorting, I missed one twice. It was a relief once I developed the skill to straighten the rods out.

I recommend the LE wilson crimp remover. It removes the crimps perfectly and it has a nice rounded edge to it.

The only RCBS die I have used is there lock-out die for pistols, and it is as advertised. I have used others such as hornady, and Redding, and while they look a little nicer I don't think they make any more accurate ammo then my lee dies. As was mentioned above regardless of what full length and seating dies you go for I would still get a Lee collet die.
On a side note I use a cheap pocket knife to remove crimps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Lee or RCBS; witch do you recomend?"

For what? Press? Dies? Scale? Measure? Case Trimmer? Etc.?
</div></div>

It doesn't matter, RCBS all the way if I had to pick between the two, in fact Lee would be my last choice out of all the major manufacturers.

I use 2 Lee Classic Cast presses. I have great results from them. I like the handle better than the RCBS. The handle height adjust. The primers fall out the bottom of the press vs. RCBS clip on primer catcher. But to each his own.

My vote would be on this press the Lee Classic Cast.

I like the RCBS line of products. I don't have much hands on experience with the Lee products other than their Factory Crimp Dies (use them a lot!), the Lee Hand Primer (I have two, one set up for large and the other for small) and the Lee universal deprimer. The Lee presses feel fairly cheap in my opinion compared to the RCBS presses. The price difference between the Lee and RCBS presses is not that great. I would save for the RCBS. That being said, there are plenty of people on this forum that use the Lee presses and are very happy with them. Good luck with your decision.

I "like" all brands, like some models better than others but that's just liking, not better service or value.

Seems the less experience most people have with different brands of loading tools the more certain they usually are that their's is the "best" choice. In use, there is precious little difference with any compariable items but it's silly to compare a little $25 dollar alum alloy Lee "Reloader" press to a massive cast iron press costing ten times as much!

Fact is, even the small and low cost "Reloader" is actually a MUCH better press than many people realise, or need, so spending more accomplishes exactly nothing for them.