• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Primer Crimp Swaging Kit (Die) Trick

RadarsRUs

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
East Coast FL
NEW INFO / EDIT... SEE: Bigedp51 2 Posts Below: HE's RIGHT!

I don't know how many use this kit with the die-body, the Large & Small Rods and the "shell holder Swaging studs". Just used for first time tonight on a box of military 5.56 brass and found it a Beast to use for the up-stroke which strips the now-swaged primer pockets off the little stud. Holy crap what a racket with everything falling over on the bench.

SOLUTION: Use (my case) Hornady Spray Sizing Lube on the cartridge heads first! Yahoo... WHAT a difference in both the compression stroke, but more importantly, the "stripping" stroke where the casing is pried-off the stud by the inverted stainless cup that rides on the ram over top of the stud. I bundled 10-14 in my hand with headstamps together and gave them a couple shots from the can and got to work. Speed probably doubled and no more slamming the press handle to strip the little buggers!

Now this little kit is himmin'

Last edited:
I have another RCBS Primer Crimp Swaging Trick..........

Try putting some primers in your swedged primer pockets and get back to us if you can put the primers in with just finger pressure.

RCBS has been been putting "OVERSIZED" swedgers in their die kits, if it isn't oversized see if you are "pushing" brass "into" the primer pockets. This will be caused by the swedger being rough and "grabbing" the brass and pushing it downward instead "outward" and actually swedging the primer pocket.

Bottom line the operation should be easy and not require that much force.

Below on the left is a RCBS swedge from 1979 its diameter is .170 and the one on the right was made in 2013 and is .1755. The primer pocket diameter is to be .1745 to .1750, and if you use the new and larger diameter swedge "ALL" your primer pockets will be over sized.

swedge_zpse6271d36.jpg

You might want to pick up some pin gauges to use as GO, NO-GO gauges for your primer pockets. The pin gauge in the photo is .1745 and I use it as the NO-GO or fail size for the primer pocket.

looseprimer005_zps7fe118e2.jpg

pocketdepth_zpsb6063cfa.jpg

calhoonprimers02_zpsb8295b11.png

I just put a small amount of Imperial Die Sizing Wax on the button. No problems.

I have a set from the 70's and did not know about the newer ones being oversize. The lube is a good idea. I guess I have another reason to buy that set of pin gauges that I have been wanting! Lightman

Wow, did not know about dimension change... I did take one of the toughest in the process and just seat a primer for the sake of "testing" and it felt good going in with an RCBS hand-priming tool so I think the pocket size is about right. I will take calipers to the Button and see where my kit actually mic's out at.
On the IMPERIAL Wax...does it keep lubricating for more than a few rounds under that sawing load? If so, it would be faster than getting a clutch of heads together for the Spray Lube treatment.
I will say the pockets do have a nice, smooth & rounded entry "edge" when the casing are driven well-down onto that button.

Imperial Wax will be faster and a lot neater than any spray lube and it's concentrated right on the button where it's needed most. As to how many cases it will do before you need another application ... just depends on how dirty the primer pockets are. It takes only a very small amount and it's not a big deal to wipe your finger across the wax and then onto the button. Takes about 2 seconds.

Ahhh $%@*!, Bigedp51 is Right...!

Just mic'ed the button and it IS 0.1755., and I WAS able to push a primer into a few cased with finger pressure!

This pisses me off! I will be on the horn to RCBS on Tuesday for a refund in form of something else I CAN use and give them something back that I can NOT. As for the 300 cases last night, I guess that was "fun" for nothing. Will likely have to junk that brass too. Maybe they'll accept the $30.00 worth of now ruined brass as a value in Addition to the Tool in the swap too...

Hell, they may tell me to Pound Sand on the whole thing...who knows.

I WILL Let this gang know how this plays out...VERY Disappointed in RCBS (usually excellent) for letting "previously observed problem" onto the market.

PS: Thanks Bigedp51 for the Heads-Up!

Last edited:
swedge_zpsf50c42e4.jpg

RCBS also makes a reamer for their prep work station, this reamer is tapered and only removes the crimp and bevels the mouth of the primer pocket just like a factory case. Meaning "NOT" over reamed at the mouth of the primer pocket.

reamertips002_zps4ce4694b.jpg

But nothing beats the Dillon Super Swage and you don't get sore fingers from holding and reaming the cases.

RCBS - GREAT COMPANY as I was hoping they would be.

Simple & good-natured 5 Min. call to RCBS remedied this problem quickly.

I just send them my Primer-Pocket Swaging Kit... and They will send back BOTH the Large & Small Primer-Crimp Cutters that they sell for their Case Prep' Center as an even-trade.

Exactly as I proposed and No Fuss... Good Company!

Bummer on the 325 pieces of .223 once-fired brass I ruined with the "button tool" but I didn't want to push it and whine about that too.

Now onto remaining 700 .223 and 500 .308 casings that will hopefully be well-served by the "Crimp-Cutters" in a drill.

SD

And to think I had one of these in hand yesterday at Cabelas. The reason I did not buy was because I wanted to find some reviews on this first.

Glad I took it out of my cart and put it back on the shelf.

"But nothing beats the Dillon Super Swage and you don't get sore fingers from holding and reaming the cases."

I have the earlier button for my rcbs set, but my friend has the Dillon, easy peasy.

I gave my RCBS press-mounted swager away when I found out how much easier/faster/better the CH4D swager is. Takes only an inch or 2 of press handle movement as opposed to full stroke with everything else I've seen.

I have the CH4D swager and it will bend the rims on a .223/5.56 case with a standard RCBS shell holder. I stopped using it after doing three cases, you are pushing "UP" on the case rims and they "WILL" bend. The other type swager units are pushing on a stem inside the case and do not put load stress on the case rims.

These RCBS primer pocket swagers were hard to find for a while there. I finally found them in stock a couple months ago and bought one. I haven't used it yet, but the large primer swage measures .210" in diameter, and the small primer swage measures .173".

I have the CH4D swager and it will bend the rims on a .223/5.56 case with a standard RCBS shell holder. I stopped using it after doing three cases, you are pushing "UP" on the case rims and they "WILL" bend. The other type swager units are pushing on a stem inside the case and do not put load stress on the case rims.

Exactly what happened to me!!
But it sure seemed like a good idea at the time...

Last edited:
I have the CH4D swager and it will bend the rims on a .223/5.56 case with a standard RCBS shell holder. I stopped using it after doing three cases, you are pushing "UP" on the case rims and they "WILL" bend. The other type swager units are pushing on a stem inside the case and do not put load stress on the case rims.[/QUOTE

I went through the same growing pains, but simply backing out the "die" slightly so that the swaging ram does not bottom out in the primer pocket cured this problem. Also some shell holders are "tighter" than others on certain brands of brass. I have 3 or 4 223 shell holders, all RCBS, and I use the tightest one with the swager. Proper fine adjustment will cure the problems as long as you are using a good tight shell holder.

I tried this and I tried that. After inconsistent processed brass, ruined brass, and headaches I finally dropped the $$ on a Dillon Super Swage. Should have done it along time ago.

+1 on the Dillon. It's totally adjustable, it's fast since there's no shell holder to deal with and their customer service is the best (yes, better than RCBS, and I used to live in Oroville). I've used mine for years without a single issue. You pay a little more, but my wife will be selling it when I die, LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk