• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS reloading dies

redrider308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2010
Ashland,Ohio
I purchased some .308 dies.Did some reloading with 175 grain Noslers.The die or bullet seater is leaving nasty rings where it comes into contact with the bullet.Can`t be good I wouldn`t think.I`ve reloaded in the past with other calibers an have scene light rings.My question is what can I do to fix this?

Re: RCBS reloading dies

Could be a couple of things. The neck tension on your brass is high, and needs a lot of force to seat the bullet. You have a compressed powder charge, and are seating the bullet deep into the case, which puts pressure on the bullet. The seating stem is not a VLD type, and will do it anyway with certain bullets. What brass are you using, and what is your load?

You can try polishing the seating stem a bit if it feels like its got a good edge, but what Chad said...your neck tension could be the culprit.

Ok I`m using Remington brass.With 44 grains of Varget.I can shake the round an feel powder movement.My oal is 2.810"...hey thank you for any info offered guys

Measure the outside diameter of a fired case in your rifle, and size it in your die and remeasure. If greater than .003 to.005 difference you are oversizing the brass. (Squeezing the neck too tight.) That can be corrected with a bushing sizer or Lee Collet neck sizer.If you are within those tolerances, your seating die stem may have a hard/sharp edge on it. You can round it off with by using one bullet with valve grinding compound on it chucked in a hand drill to smooth that edge. Alternatively you can lightly seat a bullet in a case, degrease the cavity in the end of the stem, fill the cavity with hot glue or epoxy bedding, and gently seat the case and lubricated bullet into the well lubricated die. Just screw the stem down till you can feel it bottom out. When set, you disassemble the die, clean it up, and you'll have a custom seating stem for that bullet. I like to run a 1/16th in drill into the formed cavity to leave room for meplat differences. To change bullet tips, clean the compound out using a light heat with a propane torch. JMHO