• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Rock Chucker

roboto1138

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
West Chester, Pennsylvania
I would like to find the guy that invented the primer catcher on the Rock Chucker and ask him if his design intentions were to have you pick your dirty primers up off the ground, or if the primer catching feature was purely a complete after thought?

It seems that when the primers actually make it into the stupid black primer catcher, that is entirely to small, when I go to remove it to empty it pops out of the press and dumps dirty primers all over the floor.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Josh

Lol i've never heard anyone complain about this before but it always annoys the crap out of me when I'm depriming. I too feel your pain. I also bought a little shop vac with a hepa filter and its only purpose is to deal with this issue.

Last edited:
Rock chucker owners are not alone....my lee classic cast spits them on the floor as well....it is annoying.

Last edited:
Are there meetings for this club? Sometimes it's more than I can bare and I need someone to talk to.

It's the worst stepping on those bastards with bare feet.

I share your pain. This trash can works. A little dust buster and an office trash can were the two best additions to my reloading room

If a guy had some woodworking skills, you could plug the ram slot with a piece of wood so the primer would exit at the very bottom and they wouldn't fly all over. It depends on whether you prime on the unit or not, if you want to do it.

It's funny how a guy gets way better retention with brass that has loose primer pockets, the ones that you can hear pop, you know you're screwed!

My buddy calls it the Primer Chucker.

That made me laugh. It's so true, it hurts.

If you don't use the priming mechanism, you can roll up a piece of paper and push it down into the ram arm to block off the priming hole. Make sure it doesn't block the primer exit hold. This fix takes about 10 seconds to do and stops primers from flying back at you.

I still had a problem where the primers would stick to the decapping die long enough to not make it in the black primer catcher. I would end up with a pile of primers around the base of the ram. Switching to a Forster Co-Ax press fixed that problem....

I would rather them remove the 'prime on the press' ability which nobody uses (or maybe they do...) and not have the primers fly out of the slot cut for it.

According to my better half I'm a lazy, fat, old man. And just to prove her right and to stop her bitching about primers all over the floor I bought a Harvey hand de-primer. Now I can de-prime and prime with my RCBS hand primer in my easy chair while watching my favorite programs on the telly. Life is good ;)

Just have to keep that cheesy plastic catcher close to the shaft. When removing the catcher, pop the right side out first very carefully and itll come right off. Definitely not the best design but it works ok. I hate priming on it though, takes a lot of effort to seat large primers. The Dillon gets most of the work now for depriming, bought a toolhead just for a lee universal depriming die. Nice and clean, and take less effort than the rcbs.

I love my Rock Chucker. I really do. But I have chosen to look upon this problem in the most positive of lights in order to keep my sanity. I have decided that this must be one of mankind's most difficult problems - akin to putting a man on Mars. Because the decades old Rock Chucker I used to use had the same problem, and despite a couple design changes in between that one and my new one, we are no closer to getting our primers in the trash than we are to getting a man on Mars.

And since it's such a difficult engineering problem, I don't complain much.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here's what works for me since I use a hand priming tool. First the spent primer catcher's retainer does not keep it tight enough to the press's frame, cut a slot on each side of the catcher's back and use a piece of thin elastic cord, rubber band or the like and wrap it around the back of the press to keep it tight. This will keep the spent primers from working out until you're ready to dump. Next to divert the primer to the bottom of the catcher, take a drinking straw(right diameter via McDonalds) and place it in the slot on the ram. Play with the length until the primers are mainly getting to the bottom of the catcher. When I deprime on the upstroke I hold for a 3 or 4 count to allow the brass to acclimate, this ensures the spent prime enters the straw. For whatever reason the primers will sometimes hang up in the straw, you can clear it with a small diameter wire or continue depriming since the additional primers will usually force the hung up ones out. You will still have an occasional wild one that wants to fly out(the poppers), to remedy this I took a foldgers coffee can and cut a section to fit inside the catcher, blocking the right and front while leaving enough room to the left to put cases in the shell holder. Seems like a lot to keep spent primers where they should be but I prefer the Rock Chucker to all the other presses and it beats picking primers off the floor. I'd say 99% stay in now, not perfect but a great improvement.

I have the supreme and 95% of my primers fall into the trey. Every so often I'll have a stray go AWAL for freedom.