• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Uniflow Powder Dispencer...

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Are these total POS or is it just me??

I cant dial it in to get the right amount of powder sometimes Ill be sitting there for hours trying to get the load I'm looking for.. I tried for a good full day of trying to get it to throw the load I wanted then just gave up and let it dump a load then I added about a good half a case into the thing until I got the grains I was looking for.. Is this how powder throwers are suposed to work just give WIDE ball park measures or what? cause sometimes it gives me a whole 20g's off then it puts the right amount of powder in the next...

I see videos of people getting the charge amount then just popping it though like 250 cases then loading them up.. I cant get a single batch of 2 to be even close to matching in grains..

Im using varget powder for 308 loads if that changes anything..

Re: RCBS Uniflow Powder Dispencer...

No RCBS Uniflo are not POS, I suspect its a combo of Varget, and your technique, the first can't be helped, stick powders just don't fill the chamber the same everytime, so I suggest you work on your technique, use a baffle, keep the Uniflo close to the same fill level, and actuate the arm exactly the same every time.

Something is wrong with your uniflow or you.

Is it binding up? Occasionally mine will bind up and throw an extra grain, I just dump it back in and throw it again. Mine will throw within a tenth as long as I am consistent with how I work it.

I set my powder throw up to where it's got under the load I want then I tickle up on the scale to get it perfect on every case loaded. Or at least for my precision loads. For pistol loads or plinking loads I set it and forget it and run with it. As stated above work the arm the same every time, don't tap on it unless your going to do it every time. I can see my throwed load change even by the amount of powder you have in the hampper and if I bump it or work the arm to hard.

Is your powder measure brand-new? I ask only because when mine was brand new, I had the same issues. It has to do with potential contaminates on the plastic walls, and also a bit of residual static. I was advised by RCBS to do the following;

1. Rinse the inside of the powder measure with ispropyl alcohol and let everything dry.
2. Rub the inside and outside of the powder measure with a dryer sheet
3. Run at least 1/2 pound of powder through the measure with the knob wide open before attempting to dial in a charge.

This worked well for me, and now I can throw +/- 0.1 grains with ball powders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something is wrong with your uniflow or you.

Is it binding up? Occasionally mine will bind up and throw an extra grain, I just dump it back in and throw it again. Mine will throw within a tenth as long as I am consistent with how I work it. </div></div>

Yea I feel it get stuck half the time like a grain stick is half way in the way when I go to throw a load. Is that bad? I figured it was just cause it was stick powder and it does that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I set my powder throw up to where it's got under the load I want then I tickle up on the scale to get it perfect on every case loaded. Or at least for my precision loads. For pistol loads or plinking loads I set it and forget it and run with it. As stated above work the arm the same every time, don't tap on it unless your going to do it every time. I can see my throwed load change even by the amount of powder you have in the hampper and if I bump it or work the arm to hard. </div></div>

And yea thats what Im doing.. I have a case with powder in it and throw a load and poor it on the scale then just trickle some powder till it levels out..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your powder measure brand-new? I ask only because when mine was brand new, I had the same issues. It has to do with potential contaminates on the plastic walls, and also a bit of residual static. I was advised by RCBS to do the following;

1. Rinse the inside of the powder measure with ispropyl alcohol and let everything dry.
2. Rub the inside and outside of the powder measure with a dryer sheet
3. Run at least 1/2 pound of powder through the measure with the knob wide open before attempting to dial in a charge.

This worked well for me, and now I can throw +/- 0.1 grains with ball powders.

</div></div>

Yea its fairly new I read the instructions and it said to dump a hole container in to creat a film on the inside of the tube and I did that before I started loading I did it 3 times I think.. I think its just the sticks getting stuck when I go to throw a load cause it gets stuck till I basically break it in half.. then it allows me to flow the powder out.

LOL nothing wrong with the uniflow at all

Have you set it up wrong?

Make sure you put that expansion washer thingy behind the knurled bit. You then turn that to create tension. Hold onto that assembly and then grab the measuring pin and just turn it until you get a measurement near to what you need.

It will never throw 100% what you want.

Thats what tricklers are for.

But to give you an example i sent my Uniflow to throw around 46 grains of varget and then i trickle in the last 0.6 grains by hand.

Works like a charm for me.

Did you clean your uniflow before you assembled it? It requires degreasing, and then completely dry it out. I then moly coated the internals as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Did you clean your uniflow before you assembled it? It requires degreasing, and then completely dry it out. I then moly coated the internals as well. </div></div>

shocked.gif
Did not know that.....

And mine came assembeled in the RCBS Suprime loading kit. Ill see if i can make a quick video and
show you what happens cause when I go to turn that little thing that measures it the nut and little bent metal piece along with the nut spins a long with it.. I've tried tightening the nut down so it wouldnt have any where to go but it always ends up turning with it.

Ok so I just took it appart and there was powder stuck inside of it all over.. So that could probably be the problem.. I put a shop towel through it and q-tips and I put a good pound through it and about 1 or 2 grains were stuck compaired to about 100.. I havnt tried measuring it out yet but it seems to work fine now..

Glad i could be of assistance bro

Seriously, if your not in a hurry to smash out some ammo right now, take her apart and clean it all with soapy warm water... scrub scrub scrub and then hit it with a hair dryer. Dont melt the green tube tho!

If you have any moly or graphite powder handy now is the time to break it out. Coat the internals and blow out any excess.

Re-assemble and enjoy.

Trust in thy uniflow!

Oh and the easiest way to change the flow setting, grab hold of the round gnurled peice and twist the pin with the other hand so only the pin rotates and not the gnurled bit or the washer. If you over tighten the gnurled bit it makes it more difficult. Just a little bit of pressure and its good to go.

In the future if your moving between loads often invest in the micrometer. I havnt got one but plan on buying soon.

Yea I was shocked that the thing didnt come appart.. When I
broke it out the first time I looked and looked on how it would
come appart and figured guess not.. And Yea I have a micromiter.
That was one of the first things I guy besides the kit.

If you get one go with electronic one I've heard the needle style
ones are crap and a pain. The micromiter and a case trimmer was
all I really needed to get extra from the RCBS reloading kit. Well and the dies..
Ill post up a pic or video soon of my set up.

427Cobra mentioned technique, I go with two bumps and a dump.(Big Grin)
Something else that helps is when the Uni-Flo is empty an idle, I stuff
Static Dryer Sheets in them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TaterInTheSouth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">427Cobra mentioned technique, I go with two bumps and a dump.(Big Grin)
Something else that helps is when the Uni-Flo is empty an idle, I stuff
Static Dryer Sheets in them. </div></div>

Hmm Ill have to try that. Does that just help with the moisture?? or does it do somthing else?

And yea I try to stay solid with my technique but the grain sticks get stuck too often.. I tried practicing last night after I broke it down and cleaned it and no matter what I do half the dumps it gets stuck on a grain then back it out and basically chop the grain in half.. I've tried being gental with it when it gets stuck but it doesnt work unless I just force the handle down.

the dryer sheet eliminates static so your powder doesnt cling to the inside of the Uniflow...........

Taking it apart is easy.

Unscrew pin assembly and then feed the stainless internal piece back up into the body and let it fall out through the hopper

I know it comes appart now.. I was just saying when I first took it out of the box I couldnt find a way to break it down so I figured it didnt come appart. Until you told me before you could break it down I got it appart the other night and cleaned it out pretty good. Was actualkly really suprised to see how much powder was actually stuck inside still.

Hehehe yeh, probably all of the grease and crap from the factory causing your uniflow to get clogged up.

Cant remember if the instructions mentioned cleaning it, or if i read it online but it was the first thing I did when I received my reloading kit way back.

Yea all of the RCBS products say to clean them due to them using so much oil for starage non rusting reasons. I was just a tard and didnt think it the uniflow could be taken appart so I just q-tipped the feed lip and put a rag in the powder toob and thought thats what they meant.
blush.gif