• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rcbs uniflow powder micrometer adjustment screw

Billdoe708

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
Michigan
Is the Rcbs uniflow powder micrometer adjustment screw helpful? I was thinking of getting one. Thought it might help me get closer quicker and then I can take notes on setting for faster the next time.

Thoughts? Anyone actually use one?

Last edited:
Think about it like this: micrometers get into the tenths. You are talking about adjusting the opening in tenths or thousandths for a powder that is bigger than that, and how the are arranged in the internal funnel will ultimately determine the final load you get. Spherical powders May offer better results., but you will still end up crunching some. But if you are only looking to use it to mark where you need to be for a certain powder then it may prove useful as long as you have a bunch of one powder or your choice of powder has lot to lot consistency.

You could probably get just as close with a dial caliper by measuring the screw stick out when you hit your desired load. Record it and move on.

They do allow you to get close fairly fast.
I just use calipers to measure stand-off on my rcbs.
My Hornandy has replaceable inserts and I just have an insert for my individual charges preset.

I have one. The lines are not accurate to any powder I have tried. I.E. hash 44 will not equal 44 grains. You have to test and measure anyway so don’t bother.

Made adjusting from different charges and back quick. It's not calibrated to drop x grains and x setting
It allows to dial back to a known charge when you keep records so if I'm throwing 22.6 gr H4895 or 22.4 grains 8208 or do I want 23.2 gr 8208 I just go back to my records move the micrometer to known setting then adjust to fine tune and saves time
Some powders throw better than others And I use a baffle in hopper also

Reactions: bobke
Made adjusting from different charges and back quick. It's not calibrated to drop x grains and x setting
It allows to dial back to a known charge when you keep records so if I'm throwing 22.6 gr H4895 or 22.4 grains 8208 or do I want 23.2 gr 8208 I just go back to my records move the micrometer to known setting then adjust to fine tune and saves time
Some powders throw better than others And I use a baffle in hopper also

^^^^^^
This. I've had mine for 25yrs and this is exactly how I use it.

I just have the screw adjustment. I set it to throw just under what I need then trickle. It's worked for years. My time is cheap so I don't mind setting for different charges,