• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rcbs uniflow question.

Benchguy57

Minuteman
Feb 12, 2014
St. Louis Missouri
So I own both the charge master 1500 and uniflow.
My question is when I'm loading my hunting rounds and short on time I like to use my uniflow as the charge master takes too long for each round when you're loading 75-100 rounds.
The problem I'm wanting answers to is the uniflow will throw a charge sometimes +\- .3 grains off. In the real world is this something I should concern myself with??
I bought the uniflow a few months ago and not too much experience with it, but I am very consistent with my handle movements.
The round is for a .270 winchester and I'm shooting a very light load. I weigh every 5th charge, I use the baffle that goes in the hopper tube for more consistent throws and try and keep the hopper tube filled with powder.
Thanks guys for your help.
Regards
George.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When you say "funnel piece" are you talking about the metal baffle? If not, get one, it will help. Also, I wasn't happy with the accuracy of my throws, so I took the powder tube off of mine and polished/smoothed out the bottom part using my cordless drill, some sand paper and some polishing compound. I then cleaned it with mineral spirits and ran a lb of powder through it. It was MUCH better.

Thanks. Yes the baffle is what I meant. You polished the drop portion where the plastic tip goes? Or the bottom of the unit where the powder sits??

Agree with Kyle get the baffle if you don't have it. I don't throw many rifle charges with mine, but it's plenty consistant with my pistol charges usually +/-.1 grain with the baffle inside.

Saying your chargemaster isn't fast enough, have you reprogrammed it and done the straw mod? If not I suggest doing it. My next charge is generally ready by the time I'm done seating the bullet on the previous round.

Agree with Kyle get the baffle if you don't have it. I don't throw many rifle charges with mine, but it's plenty consistant with my pistol charges usually +/-.1 grain with the baffle inside.

Saying your chargemaster isn't fast enough, have you reprogrammed it and done the straw mod? If not I suggest doing it. My next charge is generally ready by the time I'm done seating the bullet on the previous round.

What's the straw method??
Thanks for the info.

You might see up to +-1/2 inch change in elevation at 100 yards with your +-0.3 grain variance.

Thanks. Yes the baffle is what I meant. You polished the drop portion where the plastic tip goes? Or the bottom of the unit where the powder sits??

The bottom where the powder sits. I tried to post a link to a thread on another forum that described the process and had pics. I must've done something wrong. Anyways, if you google "polishing a RCBS Uniflow, you'll find the process and pics.