• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RDF length variation

RSAshooter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Hi gents

So I recently hand my mind blown by Noslers support

I bought a batch of RDFs in 175gr for the 308 and found massive variances in OAL. I know the tips may vary slightly on these types. Even had small variance with SMK in the past. BUT using a comparator as I always do as opposed to OAL I found the variance is coming from the base to ogive on the heads themselves. And I mean over 1mm

So Noslers response was that it doesn't matter (unless loading in the lands) as pressure is only generated once the projectile enters the barrel. WHAT? Have I seriously been so pedantic about neck tension and load length and internal case volume and jump and quality dies for nothing? as long as its shoved in there straight with the same amount of powder behind it?

Well, I'm disappointed and even more so that SMKs are unobtainable in South Africa for a while now

I get why someone said to me: Random Damn Flyers

Any similar experience out there?

As long as they all seat to the same seating depth, you’ll be fine. Remember, your seater stem contacts the bullet in a different spot than your comparator. That dimension is critical.

BTW, I had the very same conversation with Sierra tech support and got the same answer. Reason I called was that I found a .060” difference between lots of 175SMK. But they seated to the same depth as the other lots using the same die setting. Cuz that’s what they were designed to do.

The varying OAL of the bullet will give a variation in BC. On a 100 yard target no issues. On a 1000 yard target you will have a lot of vertical. I sort my long range bullets now by length in Increments of .005. It finds the real outliers and uniforms your loads.

And my experience at 1000 they are random damn fliers. I tried them out in a 1000 yard match. 2 unexplained 8’s. One at 12 and one at 6. I then just used them up at 100 for practice.

David

Thank you gents. Guess that'll be it. I'll sort them, finish them, and be done with Nosler

Reactions: ShtrRdy