• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ogive length or base to tip?

kyotekiller25

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2021
USA
When sorting bullets, and/or loading for optimal accuracy, are you measuring the ogive, or the overall length of the bullet?

I've seen guys do both which is why I'm asking. I started measuring to the ogive, but found my COAL was off a bit. So what's the best way to go about it?

Do you load all of them to the same ogive and forget what the COAL is?

I only shoot ELDMs in 22/6/7mm cal and have found ogive variance typically between .010"-.015" I then seat them all to the same ogive length starting with the shortest ones, and then move the seating stem down for the longer ones so they all match up. The only discrepancy to this is obviously the COALs are then off .010"-.015" 🙄

I have been able to shoot groups consistently at or below 1/2 MOA out to 1K with this method but would just like to know if I'm even going about it the right way? Or if there is a better way? Or if what I'm trying to say makes sense?

Personally, I seat based on BTO.
I have read a couple papers on how the tip length can change the "overturning moment" of the projectile, especially concerning the very long ELDM's & the like however, if the difference is only a couple or 3 thou, I don't believe that would make any substantial or measurable difference.
Besides the above, I can't reconcile the logic in trading shifting land-to-ogive distances as opposed to having the COAL the same. I think that shifting BTO would impact repeatability more so than the tips being very slightly different in length.

Thanks for the insight guys. I guess I'll keep doing it the way I have been. It does take me quite a while to seat them all to the same ogive, but I am getting decent accuracy out of it. Most days I have no problems shooting a 3 shot group of 4-5" at 1K and 6-8" at 1200 laying prone with a bipod and a rear bag.

for long range precision, bryan litz found that consistent BC in the most dependent of OAL. second is from tip size, third is nose length.

if you buy good bullets, their length from base to ogive is very consistent. so you can just sort them based on OAL.

for long range precision, bryan litz found that consistent BC in the most dependent of OAL. second is from tip size, third is nose length.

if you buy good bullets, their length from base to ogive is very consistent. so you can just sort them based on OAL.
OAL meaning the whole bullet? Base to tip?