• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re-barrel AR or buy Daniel Defense

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
I've got a Rock River rifle that's about 10 years old with a 16" barrel H-bar. I compared it to a friends Daniel Defense that is outfitted similar. My Rock River is a lot heavier. I want to lighten it up. My thought is to get a light weight barrel and BCM keymod rail which is very light as well. Or just buy a new Daniel Defense with light weight barrel.

Never had a problem with my Rock River but a lot of people bash Rock River cause its not mil-spec. Probably cheaper to just replace barrel and forend. Then its a mis-matched gun verse a complete manufacter rifle.

Just re[lace the barrel and forearm. The only thing that isn't mil-spec i believe is the buffer tube. It's commercial, which IMO is more desirable.

I've got a Rock River rifle that's about 10 years old with a 16" barrel H-bar. I compared it to a friends Daniel Defense that is outfitted similar. My Rock River is a lot heavier. I want to lighten it up. My thought is to get a light weight barrel and BCM keymod rail which is very light as well. Or just buy a new Daniel Defense with light weight barrel.

Never had a problem with my Rock River but a lot of people bash Rock River cause its not mil-spec. Probably cheaper to just replace barrel and forend. Then its a mis-matched gun verse a complete manufacter rifle.

You might come out ahead by selling the RR and buying a new rifle. GH

A LW barrel and the bcm keymod will be awesome. I just put together an 18" lw with nsr 16.7" keymod. It balances so well and feels lighter than my 16" standard barrel with 9" larue rail.

If money isn't a factor I'd just buy or build a 2nd upper and see if the lighter weight is all you thought it'd be. You could always sale one or build another lower later. That's what seems to happen with me. These ARs multiply like crazy.

I was in the same exact position as you are. My duty rifle was a RRA M-4 for several years, it was a great rifle, but I upgraded to a DD V-7, not the LWT, changed out the trigger to a RRA 2- stage and love it. It's very accurate and quick. I also changed out my Aimpoint Comp ML2 to the new T-1.

That would be a good idea it'll run you about 500-600 though. Or if you just want a lightweight m4gery type upper you could sell yours and buy one from PKFirearms, they have DDefense barreled ones for 600 I think.

Just got mail from Primary Arms.. All in stock DD rifles are $400 off. M4V1 Lightweight is $1,400 after discount. This is a no brainer if you can sell your RR for 7-800. GH

Just got mail from Primary Arms.. All in stock DD rifles are $400 off. M4V1 Lightweight is $1,400 after discount. This is a no brainer if you can sell your RR for 7-800. GH

This except I would try and find a way to keep the RRA. Two is one and one is none.

Sell the RRA to an idiot. Some idiot will pay $700-800 for it.

Buy a BCM LW upper with KMR Rail. They are around $800. Add a BCG for $150 , Buy a PSA Blem lower of your choice $150-170 , or $200 with transfer/shipping. For $1150 you have very light, capabable rifle that will hold its own against almost everything out there.

DD are nice rifles, but they aren't worth the price premium over BCM, especaily when BCM has better rail designs and just as good barrels.

Thats not $400 off. DD rifles sell for $1400-1500 normally. They have jacked up prices and pretend you are getting a good deal. In fact, last year G&R was giving away free Aimpoint PRO's with any DD rifle, and they were $1500-1600. THAT is a good deal.

*Gunstore* I got 175GR FGGM for $40 a box, its $15 off now, better buy it up while its cheap.....

Who has a M4V1 Lightweight with the new furniture in stock for $1,400?? GH

Companies are after profit
Just because you don't buy the marketing doesn't mean someone else won't fall for it

+1 on the DD great rifles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AR's do multiply and that's how I get extra parts laying around and give me the idea to build another. I think I will get a BCM LW barrel and keymod forend, I've got a BCM stripped upper already. Like someone said pick up an PSA blem lower, I've got an extra Rock River National Match trigger, then a Bravo BCG and I should have a rock solid gun.

Nothing against Daniel Defense, just don't like the forends. I'd be swapping that out if I bought one.

Maybe sell my current Rock River or just reconfigure it somehow. Hate to let one go.

My duty rifle is a Rock River also, its carbine length with a Surefire rail and its pretty heavy too. Nothing I can do about this one until we change them out. Hopefully to something different, Rock River should has the law enforcement sales.