• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re-barrel help - Remington 700 Target Tactical, 308: 26" VTR

ChrisTheJarhead

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2014
Northern Virginia
Gents, I recently bought a used Remington 700 Target Tactical, 308: 26" VTR with the triangular barrel and am looking to re-barrel it. Here is some back-story. Was looking for a nice, cheap 308 for target/comp shooting out to 600 yards. Was looking at this and a savage 12 and decided for this because it was cheaper and I like the stock and wouldn't mind re-barreling it and keep the rest. I have shot it and for about a month and just don't like it...gets hot too fast and walks on me. My buddy bought the 12 F/TR and I tried it today with my ammo and was shooting 1/4 MOA at 400 yards. Just killing it consistently and that fat barrel didnt get hot and just kept driving em, home.

So I already have a Jewel trigger for my Rem TT and IMHO just need a nice fat barrel and will be GTG. Really what I would like to do is take a savage barrel and drop it on my Rem but I know that doesnt work...lol. So here I am asking for advice. I have never re-barreled and do not even know of a gunsmith in my area (Northern Virginia). Are there makers out there that sell barrels ready to "bolt on" my chasis and action?

Thank you in advance for taking time to read and post your suggestion. -Chris

you can't just bolt on a barrel to a remington 700.
I'm in N. VA as well. Check out War Rifles in Manassas Park.
Also you could ship the rifle to anyone of the well known builders nd have it chambered and installed. Most will have it back in a few weeks
Phoenix Custom Rifles has some quick turn around rimes

you can't just bolt on a barrel to a remington 700.
I'm in N. VA as well. Check out War Rifles in Manassas Park.
Also you could ship the rifle to anyone of the well known builders nd have it chambered and installed. Most will have it back in a few weeks
Phoenix Custom Rifles has some quick turn around rimes

Strike, thanks for the info. I will reach out to War Rifles.