• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Re-Barrel or new Rifle?

remi308

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
Roseville, Ca
I have a Remington 700 Varmint .308, Round count is probably only @ 1k or so. I did buy it used and have no idea how it was treated. Trouble is it is very inconsistent. One day it will shoot cheap factory loads moa then another day it is all over the place with match ammo that usually shoots great.. The only way to get it to shoot consistent is to touch the lands with handloads. So my question is should I re-barrel with some good gunsmith magic or just re-crown? would say a new Savage 5r or Remington be the way to go. I don't shoot competition yet, but love hand-loading and small groups. What do you folks tend to do when you get a lemon?

Re: Re-Barrel or new Rifle?

Rebarrel it without a doubt. You will spend less for a rebarrel than a new rifle and you will have a trued action and custom barrel to your specs.

I am surprised that you can get the bullets to touch the lands. I never could in my SPS V 308. That said, if you can get them to touch, and it shoots good doing so, why not just do that until you get enough throat erosion to prevent it. If you are running the gun as is from the factory, that stock needs to go. Mine was very inconsistent until I changed the stock out, and that seemed to make a huge difference for consistency. The stock from the factory is just too flimsy to be dependable. There are many ways to go about getting a more accurate gun, but my recommendation would be to work with what you have, especially if you were already thinking that you may want to rebarrel and true the action at some point anyway. If you just really don't like the barrel and performance, get a custom one and don't look back. The attention to detail in a custom barrel compared to a factory Remington is not even comparable. It will show in performance also.

As for the life of that barrel, I am still running the factory one on mine. It currently has just over 2K rounds through it and shoots better than the day I got it, but again, I did change out the stock. It went to a B&C A3 and not rests in a AICS.

Good luck with your choice.

before you get your panties in a bunch......savvy the borescope, and someone that can divine what it is you see with said borescope......it will be a lesson well learned.

What stock do you have on the rifle?

Some of your inconsistencies might come from there, some from between your ears and some from the rifle itself.

If you do not have it in a good stock, that would be the first place I started.
I have also seen folks chasing zero around and having issues with groups because they were not getting a consistent cheek weld.
If you close your eyes and get on the rifle, assume your natural shooting position and then open your eyes, what do you see?
Are you looking through the scope, or are you looking at the base and rings? If you have to move your head, you have a weld issue. Fix the weld issue, get a good stock and see if that cures some problems.

Reactions: Gryntch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What stock do you have on the rifle?

Some of your inconsistencies might come from there, some from between your ears and some from the rifle itself.

If you do not have it in a good stock, that would be the first place I started.
I have also seen folks chasing zero around and having issues with groups because they were not getting a consistent cheek weld.
If you close your eyes and get on the rifle, assume your natural shooting position and then open your eyes, what do you see?
Are you looking through the scope, or are you looking at the base and rings? If you have to move your head, you have a weld issue. Fix the weld issue, get a good stock and see if that cures some problems. </div></div> Not a setup or cheek problem. Rifle came with a HS M24 stock so I'm good there, PST scope, Badger 20moa base, TPS steel rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rebarrel it without a doubt. You will spend less for a rebarrel than a new rifle and you will have a trued action and custom barrel to your specs. </div></div> Had an opportunity to buy a Bartlein 308 barrel in stock today and went for it. Heard great things about them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remi308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rebarrel it without a doubt. You will spend less for a rebarrel than a new rifle and you will have a trued action and custom barrel to your specs. </div></div> Had an opportunity to buy a Bartlein 308 barrel in stock today and went for it. Heard great things about them. </div></div>

Very good choice.. dont know who is installing the barrel but if they know what they are doing that Bartlein will serve you very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remi308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rebarrel it without a doubt. You will spend less for a rebarrel than a new rifle and you will have a trued action and custom barrel to your specs. </div></div> Had an opportunity to buy a Bartlein 308 barrel in stock today and went for it. Heard great things about them. </div></div>

Very good choice.. dont know who is installing the barrel but if they know what they are doing that Bartlein will serve you very well. </div></div>

I plan on going to Spartan Rifles here locally. I've seen his work and it is amazing. Talking to him, He does a bunch of extra meticulous measures to ensure everything is top notch, Most of it well above my current knowledge...ha. Now to save the bread for the gunsmithing..

I agree with the poster that suggests it could be the stock causing some of the problems--if its one of those cheap plastic or Hogue stocks.

Bartlein are excellent barrels. Got one on my .308, 300WM and new GAP-10. Have a 6mm sitting here also waiting to be screwed on my .243.

I've got my first 2 Bartleins in the last 6 months or so. They are both shooters.
You made a good choice in my opinion.

You have really answered your own question. It is inconsistent with cheap factory ammo. Most guns are. You said it shoots good with your handloads, so just feed it the handloads that it likes and don't use cheap factory stuff.

Recrowning it may help but I doubt it since your handloads shoot well.

You should shoot out the factory barrel then use the new barrel when the original one goes south.

Torque the action bolts equally. Check your barrel channel to make sure your free-float is clear. If that doesn't work, a fair gunsmith will charge $60-$100 for a re-crown.

If that doesn't improve the groups, then you're looking at a full rebarrel and action truing (under $1000).

I'm not completely convinced I get any performance improvement out of an oversized recoil lug, but for only $50, I wouldn't leave one out of a rebarrel job.

I agree, if you have the money and are looking to make it a better shooter than a rebarrel and an action truing is the way to go. She will definitely be a shooter with after that. I also agree though that if you are feeding a stock rifle cheap ammo you aren't going to get good groups. Try a box of federal gold medal match or black hills.

I have feed the thing tons of different stuff, From black hills to my best handloads. The over all average is about moa at 100y. Maybe I'm asking too much from a factory barrel. I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable person with bolt action accuracy but was hoping for a little better? The bartlein barrel sort of feel through I guess the last one sold before I could get to it. Back to square one. What is the opinion of say a Savage 5R factory rifle or maybe a SS Rem 700 off the shelf?

Stay away from that factory stuff. Look at http://www.grizzly.com/
they have Bartlein barrels in stock. Also look at http://www.cstactical.com/ they may have one. Call Todd at http://www.phantomfinishing.com/ he may have an extra one. Mike or Todd may have something for you if Marc is spinning on a barrel for you. Call Bartlein and ask for a list of their monthly suppliers before you give up. If you got to have a barrel, Kreiger is another option. Check http://www.brunoshooters.com/ to see if they have one. Last, check on Brux Barrels they're a little quicker on getting a barrel out.

Those would be my three choices in order..if you NEED a barrel.

PM me if you have your heart on another rig...but don't go factory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay away from that factory stuff. Look at http://www.grizzly.com/
they have Bartlein barrels in stock. Also look at http://www.cstactical.com/ they may have one. Call Todd at http://www.phantomfinishing.com/ he may have an extra one. Mike or Todd may have something for you if Marc is spinning on a barrel for you. Call Bartlein and ask for a list of their monthly suppliers before you give up. If you got to have a barrel, Kreiger is another option. Check http://www.brunoshooters.com/ to see if they have one. Last, check on Brux Barrels they're a little quicker on getting a barrel out.

Those would be my three choices in order..if you NEED a barrel.

PM me if you have your heart on another rig...but don't go factory. </div></div>

Ok, Thanks...I was getting the Factory itch just cause it's easy cheaper and only 10 day wait..But I know I would be unhappy with the results.

I have yet to find factory ammunition that is as consistent as carefully made hand loads.

If you are getting 1/2 MOA with the hand loads, leave it alone, use hand loads and practice practice practice.

Handloads will always come out on top but you can still get good results with high quality match ammo. But it sounds like you tried it all like you said so I would proceed on with your plans and get that new barrel on there.

Getting a factory barrel is the equivalent of hooking up with a girl that is almost guaranteed to give you an STD. You won't be happy and you'll wish you didn't do it. Especially since you have friends here telling you "Don't do it".

For proof...look at Dan Lilja web site http://www.riflebarrels.com/ look at his Borescope comparison video on the front of his website for a factory take off barrel vrs a custom barrel and you'll see that my analogy, while crude and some might even consider inappropriate, is accurate.

http://www.snipercentral.com/tacops700p.htm

When TacOps did their tune up, they guaranteed .25 MOA with a factory Rem barrel.

I'd say factory barrels are usually capable of amazing accuracy. Main thing I've noticed is they aren't as easy to clean. Seems to me the most important thing is a good chamber with proper headspace. That seems to be the biggest limiter of factory barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting a factory barrel is the equivalent of hooking up with a girl that is almost guaranteed to give you an STD. You won't be happy and you'll wish you didn't do it. Especially since you have friends here telling you "Don't do it".

For proof...look at Dan Lilja web site http://www.riflebarrels.com/ look at his Borescope comparison video on the front of his website for a factory take off barrel vrs a custom barrel and you'll see that my analogy, while crude and some might even consider inappropriate, is accurate. </div></div>

Not inappropriate at all, I thought it was quite a funny analogy myself
smile.gif

The bore on that factory barrel in that Lilja video was horrendous! I surely will never spend big bucks on match bullets just to send them down a disgrace of a tube like that again...I wonder what my barrels look like...Got me thinking about my poor AR varmint barrel and ordered a WOA barrel asap! Now I just need to find a bartlein for the 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remi308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bore on that factory barrel in that Lilja video was horrendous! I surely will never spend big bucks on match bullets just to send them down a disgrace of a tube like that again...I wonder what my barrels look like...Got me thinking about my poor AR varmint barrel and ordered a WOA barrel asap! Now I just need to find a bartlein for the 700.</div></div>

Don't get me wrong, factory barrels have a purpose...for instance, if you lost the crowbar to your bottlenose jack while attempting to change the oil in your vehicle...a factory barrel is a great substitute to a crowbar.

I don't think there is anything wrong with factory barrels. There maybe more throat clearance and headspace, but that can be mostly adjusted by reloading with good accuracy depending one rifle. Under 1 MOA to 1/2 MOA is not uncommon with factory rifles. Now if someone can real shoot under 1/2 MOA to 1/4 MOA consistently, then sure I think you can benefit from a custom barrel. Bartleins are nice, and I have also notice less fouling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remi308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bore on that factory barrel in that Lilja video was horrendous! I surely will never spend big bucks on match bullets just to send them down a disgrace of a tube like that again...I wonder what my barrels look like...Got me thinking about my poor AR varmint barrel and ordered a WOA barrel asap! Now I just need to find a bartlein for the 700.</div></div>

Don't get me wrong, factory barrels have a purpose...for instance, if you lost the crowbar to your bottlenose jack while attempting to change the oil in your vehicle...a factory barrel is a great substitute to a crowbar. </div></div>

Lol, That was a good read to start my day
laugh.gif

Re-barrel. If you don't have the money save for a few more and get what you want.

Going over my options for barreling my old Remington Varmint, I bought the rifle used and the bolt looked like it was swapped from a much older rifle, Head spacing was fine and it shot ok but I was made an offer for it and sold it today for 600.00 with the badger base and rings. I was searching on buds and found a new Remington 700 AAC for 585.00 Shipped. So I jumped on it figuring I could start with a new rifle for Marc @ Spartan to work his magic. Start fresh with a new HS or Bell Carlson stock. Anyone used this rifle before?

Congrats on the new barrel, I am sure that you are now just waiting to get it back so that you can shoot it. Let us know how it shoots when you get it back.