• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Re-barrel or not to re-barrel delima

Mxracer532

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
WA State
My delima is, I have a Rem switch barrel gun that was done by Gordy Gritters that has a 22-250 & .243 barrel. Both barrels shoot .5 or better with handoads. The .243 barrel lives on the rifle now as it's been used for my nephew and little sister's deer rifle for years and also the scope has a turret cut to my load. (Also my primary coyote rifle)
Now my daughter will be using it to deer hunt next yr (9 years old) and I put a KRG bravo on it to make it fit her. My thoughts were to put a muzzle brake on it to make it even more enjoyable to shoot for her. But I'm afraid to out the $ out on a brake not knowing the round count of this barrel. I don't want to put out the $ and have the barrel give up the ghost after another 100 rounds.
So I was thinking about either buying a 6.5 and chambering it to a .260ai with a MB or just doing another .243 and shooting 105's with a MB. Anyone else had a similar situation??

My vote would be to keep the .243 barrel as long as possible. Can you run a borescope into the chamber and see how the throat looks? If it appears OK, I'd thread the barrel and keep on shootin' it.

for 50 dollars you could get the teslong bore scope off amazon Its pretty good , any way keep the barrel you have buy a new one and while your shooting it out decide what you want to do with the first barrel at your leisure with no pressure , that's just my 2 cents i dislike having to make split decisions that cost me money when I did not really need to spend it in the first place . Not sure how much a new barrel for your gun is going to run you but good luck .

they make clamp on muzzle brakes.

if the barrel dies in another hundred rounds just make sure your next barrel is the same profile to fit the brake.

Look at a brake that you can transfer to the new barrel. You’ll only be “out” the cost of the threading job, which isn’t bad.
good luck.

Can't run the 22-250 in WA state. I won't do a clamp on, (not my cup of tea) do they make em for a varmint contour??
I could go with the self timing brake, just not a huge fan of the look of them. But maybe I should look into having it threaded and also get a cap. (What should having this done run me?)

Scope has a load specific turret for my hand loads, id rather not change it and I want to be sure she doesn't get scared.

Scope has a load specific turret for my hand loads, id rather not change it and I want to be sure she doesn't get scared.
And if you put a new barrel on it, you expect it will shoot exactly the same?? With your handloads? But a 260 AI is an option? I'm confused.