• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

re-barrelling a Sako TRG

reloader41

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
MA
New to the site - second post - hope its in the right place.

So I have decided to buy a Sako TRG .308. Best price seems to be around $3000 - $3200 new. Used seem to be in the $2300 - $2500 range when you can find one.

Now I have been shooting pistols and casting and reloading all my life, and feel comfortable buying new/used handguns. The same cannot be said of me buying a rifle. I would have a very difficult time assessing wear patterns and condition on a rifle. So my question is this: assuming that the overall gross condition of a rifle appears to be good, and assuming that I cannot test fire it, would I be safe in thinking that the worst that could realistically happen is that I might need to re-barrel it?

If so, what kind of cost should I expect to replace the factory barrel with one of equal or better quality including smithing. Would I expect improved accuracy potential?

Thanks for any help or input.

Re: re-barrelling a Sako TRG

not hard to shoot out a 338 barrel but a 308 will go around 8000 rds - the rest of the TRG will be good to wear out several barrels

figure around 600 for the rebarrel and have it done by someone familiar with sako as they use a heat release thread sealant

From American Precision's website.

Rebarreling is 325, that doesn't include the cost of the barrel blank. I would imagine that you are looking close to about 7 or 800 once shipping and all is included and said and done.

I would highly recommend shooting the TRG before you decide to re-barrel it. It may have a lighter contour than most tactical rifles but it may very well surprise you with its accuracy and ease of cleaning!

George63, Deadly0311 and rbhoover - thanks all for your responses and input to the question asked.

To be sure, I would not just re-barrel the rifle 'cause it was used. I agree that it is unlikely to have been shot out. More likely is damage from overly aggressive cleaning. But never having had to re-barrel a rifle got me thinking about worse case situations. Thanks for the suggestion for American Precision - I also found another for a company called GA Precision.

Now the search really begins.

Both the companies you found in the search are on this site and both have excellent reputations.

I know that Short Action Customs does Sako work somewhat regularly as well and those rifles shoot as well as anyone else out there.

call benchmark barrels up in washington state, if i recall correctly they have done a good amount of work on TRG's and when the barrel on mine goes I will have them spin up a replacement. Jus another option.

Mark at SAC has my Sako right now to rebarrel. Mark is a great guy to deal with.
Jered at APA does great work as well. I had him rebarrel my Savage.

Crescent Customs, Moon, does TRG work as well. He's got 2 of mine now both of which are re-barrels.

L

To the OP I purchased a new TRG 22 with the intent of yanking the factory tube off and screwing a 6.5 cal on, but I decided to shoot it first. Well fast foward 4300 rounds and it still has that same factory barrel on it and is shooting as good as the day it was new. I could not be happier with these rifle as I have shot a few of them other than mine in both 308 & 338L. They are one of the MOST accurate rifles of their kind built factory or custom. I feel they are the best bang for the buck you will find. The only thing that sucks is I do want a 6.5 TRG but it shoots too good to mess with. Get one and shoot it! Also get the factory bipod they make the rifle, well along with the trigger, butter smooth action, and very ergo friendly stock haha. Enjoy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are one of the MOST accurate rifles of their kind built factory or custom. I feel they are the best bang for the buck you will find. </div></div>

+1. I wouldn't plan on having to replace a barrel at first.