• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing re-chamber .223 to .222 Remington magnum?

johninok

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
central ok
Have a .223 I am considering rechambering to 222 remington magnum. How much would it need to be set back? Shank on this barrel is already short, thanks, John

yes on the AI, have a couple, just like to fool with different chamberings, and I like the long neck on the magnum.

I've done it to a couple sps sporter barrels. Works fine. If the barrel is already stamped 223, I would set it back a half turn to get the old marking below the show line and restamp with 222 Rem Mag. That's what I did.

A 223 will fit into a 222 mag chamber and might fire. The results would make for a bad day.

Have used a 22-04 since '08 both 8 and 12 twist. Eight twist Brux on a 722 is a true 1000yd prairie dog rifle with 75 gr A max @ 3150. Shot the same 200 Remington cases since '08. Dale Nothing not to like about it.

same thougt here, almost.....

Have a .223 I am considering rechambering to 222 remington magnum. How much would it need to be set back? Shank on this barrel is already short, thanks, John

Hi John. I love to play with these calibers. I have a lot of Savage Axis rifles and have a few new .223 Rem bbls.
Here's what I've done so far....
1. shortened a .223 and rechambered it to .221 Fireball. Why? 'Cause I have an XP-100 and a lot of brass, dies, etc. I 'thought' I could just get away with a 'short' .223, but the FB is 'improved' enough, that it started getting complicated. I just bought the reamer and was done....
2. .223 AI This was easy.
3. Now, with the brain working (and spurred on my this month's Shooting Times article on the .22-204), I have another thought (oh no)....

Since the .222 Mag and the .204R use the same length case, how about a .222 Mag AI???? I realize that the 204R is basically an 'improved' .222 Mag to start off with....I guess this is exactly what the ST article was getting at......correct?

Anyway, I have asked PTG about the reamer......
Might be fun. Since I have the above Axis rifles and several 22-250s, this won't be an exercise in anything but fun.......

ron

Never thought of the 22-204, def a contender. Barrel in question is a 9 twist kreiger. thinking about pushing the 53 grain tsx 3500 ish. thanks guys.