• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Kel-Tec RFB with NVS and 762SD - RANGE REPORT

RTS

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Subject says it all... Thanks to Mark at APA for helping me get the mount on and talking me out of cutting the barrel down further. Sorry the KelTec stunk up the shop for so long!
smile.gif

2d7c2zr.jpg

ETA RANGE REPORT:

Range report is less than impressive. I guess I'm used to shooting more accurate rifles.

We zeroed at 50 with FGMM 168gr. The nightvision cap was still on, so I didn't have the best sight picture, but it was very effective at 50. Went out to 200 and fine tuned the zero but were getting at least 10" movement with the same point of aim with the rifle resting on a seed bag. Went back to 50 and were still dialed in, but starting getting jams every other round. There was significant blowback and evidence of oil on the unfired bullets. Probably should've cleaned it before hand.

For what it is, it's not bad. I'm not sure subsonics will cycle the action, but will play with that next and might adjust it so that it requires a manual run each shot with those. I was disappointed in the initial 200yd accuracy but will run it through the paces again once cleaned and at night so I can open the scope up. When it shoots, it's fun.

Re: Kel-Tec RFB with NVS and 762SD

That thing looks like it came straight out of a science fiction movie or halo or something.

Looks like fun.

Looks sweet!!! I'm jealous :) Too bad keltec is already working on a second generation with mods to the gas piston and extractor or I'd already have :-(

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like fun. </div></div>

+1

I got to handle an RFB for the first time the ther day at a local shop. It felt absolutely TINY for a 308. It had a nice, solid feel to it as well.

What NVD are you running? How is the trigger? Nice rig.

LOL. Didn't stink up the shop at all. I am also interested in how you are liking the NV.

That thing does really look like something from a sci-fi movie!

Nice.. I had a lot of fun shooting my RFB.. the main problem I had is I was always stepping on my own brass.. I did have some fun painting it up too.. It’s a really well built rifle IMO..

IMG_7136-1.jpg

IMG_7262-8.jpg

I assume it's very quiet as the ejection port is covered and brass kicked out the front (compared to other 308 auto's)

I'll post a range report when I get the NV sighted in.

I suspect it will be slightly louder than a bolt action, but the ejection port location could affect that.

Looks like the only thing you need to buy is a kydex cheek piece. That steel gets cold quick.

I really like my RFB.

What's the learning curve on the manual of arms on these? Meaning; mag changes, malf clearing, maintnance, & ergonomics.
The idea of a .308 in a package that size IS appealing, I must say.

Range report is less than impressive. I guess I'm used to shooting more accurate rifles.

We zeroed at 50 with FGMM 168gr. The nightvision cap was still on, so I didn't have the best sight picture, but it was very effective at 50. Went out to 200 and fine tuned the zero but were getting at least 10" movement with the same point of aim with the rifle resting on a seed bag. Went back to 50 and were still dialed in, but starting getting jams every other round. There was significant blowback and evidence of oil on the unfired bullets. Probably should've cleaned it before hand.

For what it is, it's not bad. I'm not sure subsonics will cycle the action, but will play with that next and might adjust it so that it requires a manual run each shot with those. I was disappointed in the initial 200yd accuracy but will run it through the paces again once cleaned and at night so I can open the scope up. When it shoots, it's fun.

Did you even read the manual? When running a suppressor with the RFB, you need to adjust your gas setting. If you shoot it w/o the can, you will need to adjust your gas setting again.

The RFB is not a precision rifle, but it was never advertised as being one either. I have a 1-4x optic on my RFB...when I borrowed a Nikon with higher magnification...I noticed that the RFB hovers a little over 1MOA at 100 yards. I doubt that I can squeeze any more accuracy out of a semi bullpup. I find it difficult to shoot on the bench since the FAL mag is rearward. It's tough to use a rear bag on the RFB. If I can get my hands on a shorter 10rd metric FAL mag...it might help me.

I question some RFB owners that say they are getting sub MOA groups.

Thats not a real can.He lives in Cali and added it to meet there Regs.What a bummer.My bad was looking at the pic with the funky paint job.Thanks for the correction

The OP does not disclose his/her state, but the OP mentions subsonic ammo...that suppressor looks real to me. The suppressor looks like an AAC.

The other guy that has the stupid paint job on their RFB is from CA and that is a fake can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: livetohunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats not a real can.He lives in Cali and added it to meet there Regs.What a bummer </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aubie515</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you even read the manual? When running a suppressor with the RFB, you need to adjust your gas setting. If you shoot it w/o the can, you will need to adjust your gas setting again.

The RFB is not a precision rifle, but it was never advertised as being one either. I have a 1-4x optic on my RFB...when I borrowed a Nikon with higher magnification...I noticed that the RFB hovers a little over 1MOA at 100 yards. I doubt that I can squeeze any more accuracy out of a semi bullpup. I find it difficult to shoot on the bench since the FAL mag is rearward. It's tough to use a rear bag on the RFB. If I can get my hands on a shorter 10rd metric FAL mag...it might help me.

I question some RFB owners that say they are getting sub MOA groups. </div></div>

No, I didn't read the manual - I needed something to shoot, right? I'm aware there's a gas setting and made minor adjustments this time after it started jamming, but decided the gun was already too dirty for that to make a significant impact.

This is a real can, and my RFB won't be getting a custom paint job. I'm too much of a conformist.

Other RFB owners that run suppressors have actually lost their gas restrictor cap.

It's not as if the RFB is like any other platform out in the market, so why would you think you could just pick it up and shoot it without any issues? You can adjust the gas even if the rifle is dirty or clean...makes no difference. What makes the difference is if you run a can...if you change ammo that uses a different bullet weight.

You'd know all of this if you actually read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aubie515</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other RFB owners that run suppressors have actually lost their gas restrictor cap.

It's not as if the RFB is like any other platform out in the market, so why would you think you could just pick it up and shoot it without any issues? You can adjust the gas even if the rifle is dirty or clean...makes no difference. What makes the difference is if you run a can...if you change ammo that uses a different bullet weight.

You'd know all of this if you actually read.

</div></div>

Well, thanks for pointing all that out and edumacatin' me. I'm just a dumb hick and can use all the help I can get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkpimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice.. I had a lot of fun shooting my RFB.. the main problem I had is I was always stepping on my own brass.. I did have some fun painting it up too.. It’s a really well built rifle IMO..

IMG_7136-1.jpg

IMG_7262-8.jpg

</div></div>

nice job as always man. balls. balls as big as church bells. i cant bring myself to paint mines yet.

I'm leery of SUBsonic 7.62 out of any gas gun let alone a bullpup.
If you haven't studied up on some of the SEE phenomena related to the gas gun/7.62SUB combos I'd suggest you consider doing so after you read the owners manual.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzhitshard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm leery of SUBsonic 7.62 out of any gas gun let alone a bullpup.
If you haven't studied up on some of the SEE phenomena related to the gas gun/7.62SUB combos I'd suggest you consider doing so after you read the owners manual.

Good luck </div></div>

Very good point. SEE is one reason I don't reload my own subsonic rounds for my bolt actions. Not even sure the subs will cycle the action on an RFB... Was a nice goal, but I'm moving in a different direction now - a compact package like this is useless if it's not accurate.

You need a custom exhaust valve. Would quiet it down considerably. And fix some another issue or two. Downside is you either have to make your own or figure out who made the last batch and beg them to make another.

Seriously. It makes all the difference.

It's called a GVS and Mike at tornado technologies is the guy to speak to. Gas Vent Shroud