• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Re-Review of a Rem 700 SPS w/ pics

lte82

Shooter
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    I picked up this rifle second hand from a guy here that already put a review together here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...pics*-wotac-gen-5-sps-varmint-aics-1-5-a.html

But I figured I'd put my own together as well with a few more target pics.

Its essentially a stock 700 SPS Varmint in an Aics chassis. Stock barrel, action, and trigger.

I loaded up some ladders using 168gr smks and imr 4064 in some 1x fired LC brass, and then made a couple different loads with 168 amaxs for fun.

Here is the 168 smk over 43gr of 4064. I called the first shot high and left, but nailed the rest of them. 42.5 43.5 and 44gr all shot between .7 and .9 moa 5 shot groups with very similar poi.

Here is 42 & 43 gr with the 168 amaxs. I called my first shot high left again then really drilled the last four (right target). Even with the bad shot its still 3/4 moa. 1/2 moa if not for user error.

First time out with this rifle, in 10-15 mph wind, off a bipod... not too bad for a stock rifle and the conditions right?

I had a SPS Varmit in a B&C A5 stock and that took it from a 1 1/2" minute gun down to about 3/4 moa. was pretty impressed with the B&C. its now transformed into the gun in my signature.

SPS's can preform pretty well out of the box just by getting rid of that crappy stock.

I recently bought an AICS 1.5 for a build I was working on. For the hell of it I dropped an sps Tac .308 in it. It shot great. Even took it out to 925 yards with no problem.

null_zps59fa4ba2.png

15 shots at 103 yards
    null_zps580a21a8.png

Sps varmints can shoot pretty good. I dropped mine in an aics as well.
    null_zps288f6847.jpg

Here is an ocw test at 100yds. The dark outline squares are 1"
    Load is 175smk, varget in lapua brass with br2 primer
    null_zps2ec46957.jpg

Sps varmints can shoot pretty good. I dropped mine in an aics as well.
    null_zps288f6847.jpg

Here is an ocw test at 100yds. The dark outline squares are 1"
    Load is 175smk, varget in lapua brass with br2 primer
    null_zps2ec46957.jpg

Nice shooting! I just got in 2000 175's today, so looks like I'm set for a while. I have 400 lapua brass in 308, but trying to shoot my cheap LC stuff first... it may take a while.

I recently bought an AICS 1.5 for a build I was working on. For the hell of it I dropped an sps Tac .308 in it. It shot great. Even took it out to 925 yards with no problem.

null_zps59fa4ba2.png

15 shots at 103 yards
    null_zps580a21a8.png

Awesome. I cant wait till I have more than just a 300 yard range to shoot at. Only 1 more week until I get access to the only 1000 yard range in the area!

So this brings me to ask this question, how did these rifles shoot before the stock switch? Not saying they arent worth it, but just curious how much better these shot as-is.

So this brings me to ask this question, how did these rifles shoot before the stock switch? Not saying they arent worth it, but just curious how much better these shot as-is.

Honestly.... Just as good. At least with mine. But hand loads make all the difference

Exactly what I'm looking to do... SPS TAC from a B&C A5 to AICS.... Did you change the trigger?

Nope like I said it was an "in between project" thing. Was just interested to see how it felt and shot. I bought 4 Jewell hvr's to put on my builds but not that rifle. It still remains in the hogue stock with the x mark pro trigger. I use it as a woods deer rifle. Still, it drives tacks with varget and 168 vlds.... I have several .25" grouped targets that I keep from that rifle. Honestly I love it(except for that damned trigger)

I dropped my SPSS in an H-S stock, it's pretty common for the remington rifles to shoot 1/2moa.
    YpXm8d8.jpg

Just curious, i know that making a rifle you own instills confidence, and sometimes thats all it takes, i just was curious about "before" and "after" groups. Perhaps that may be a good thread starter...thinking out loud. BTW, those are some damn fine rifles and i hope to someday build a similar rifle that is as capable as those above.

I love my SPS-V! I shot a few sub (barely) .5 MOA groups with rifle in bone stock setup. When I dropped it into an AICS 2.0 and added a 2# Timney trigger the best groups I've gotten out of it were .077 MOA and .178 MOA at an indoor 100 yard range! I was shocked, even though they were only 3 round groups! I took it out to 1000 yards over the weekend and it did great.... I on the other hand did terrible reading the wind. I'll be back there often practicing from now on though!

Started like this:
    hpsl.jpg

Looks like this now...
    c26a.jpg

OCW testing
    rbhi.jpg

You can actually make out the 3 different grease rings in a perfect little triangle!

dnge.jpg

Did everything just fit in? Or was there any trimming to be done? Did you get the stock new? Like i said before, mine sits in a B&C A5, It is stupid heavy, just paid to have it bedded about a year ago, not sure what is involved to have that un-done and re installed in a new chassis? Here it is
    View attachment 12798

Dropping it in a chassis is as simple as dropping it in and tightening the action screws. This aics has plenty of room around the barrel, in fact, it looks like you could stick a non-profiled 1 1/4" barrel on there and it would still free float just fine. On mine there is zero trimming or machine work.

Dropped mine in a B&C Light Tactical Medalist. Put a Timney trigger in tuned to 2-3/4 lb. with FGMM 168 shot just a hair over 1/2 moa. With my handload 168 Hornady BTHP Match over AA 2520 loaded to 2.831 shoots around .300"- .330" 5 shots. Have fired a 1000 yd group 5 shots in very calm conditions that was just above 1/2 moa. I'm very pleased with mine. The only thing that sucked was the Xmark Pro trigger wouldn't turn down ANY using the trigger shoe adjustment. However the 700 .223 sps we just built used the factory trigger and we managed to get it down to 2 lb. with no reliability issues. We did have it down to 1.5 lb. but on occasion the firing pin would follow the bolt down.

SD, I am not a big remmy fan but your rig has started to change my opinion. You have come a long way in a short time, reading wind and dialing dopeIis no easy task, even under the best of conditions, let alone shooting across a canyon or two with no wind flags!

Guys who shot these in the er, stock stocks, can you use it accurately with a bipod or is it just wasting time? I'll have my SPS V on Tuesday and I won't be able to switch out the stock before the summer is over. Is it worth buying a bipod for before I switch to a different stock?