• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Re-threading a QD brake from 1/2x28 to M14x1RH

Jnull

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
I have a machinist buddy that says it shouldn’t be a problem but he doesn’t deal with metric threads much so I wanted to confirm here.

I have a VZ58 pistol in 556 I’m putting on a form 1 and I’d like to suppress it but it has M14x1RH threads and I’d rather not run a thread adapter or re-thread the barrel.

Can a 1/2x28 QD muzzle brake be re-threaded to M14x1RH? And who would be best to contact to perform this work? Thanks guys.

edited: haven’t had my coffee yet.

Maybe, without my tools and gauges handy I can’t say for certain. On monday I might be able to try tapping something in 1/2” to M14. Only catch is I don’t have taps in the correct thread pitches for your application. But 1/2” nominal size being 0.5”, and M14 being 0.55” perhaps that extra .05 is enough material for the threads to be re-cut to a different pitch without having too much of an issue.

Last edited:
Hopefully it can be made to work, I certainly don’t expect you to take the time and experiment but if you do I’d greatly appreciate it.

I had a similar debacle with an 11/16x24 muzzle and a 5/8x24 brake. I couldn’t find anyone to do it. I ended up using a Hughes thread adapter.

1/2X28 threads usually require a 29/64 or a 15/32 size pilot hole. To make a 14 mm threaded brake, a 1/2" hole is needed. to bore out the brake, there should be enough material to re-thread your brake.

I had a similar debacle with an 11/16x24 muzzle and a 5/8x24 brake. I couldn’t find anyone to do it. I ended up using a Hughes thread adapter.

I’ll use an adapter if I absolutely have to but if I can get something rethreaded that’d be ideal

1/2X28 threads usually require a 29/64 or a 15/32 size pilot hole. To make a 14 mm threaded brake, a 1/2" hole is needed. to bore out the brake, there should be enough material to re-thread your brake.

good to hear.

If anyone has suggestions on who to contact for the work that’d be great.

There’s a guy on Instagram that did just that but LH to a 1/2x28 Cherry Bomb to mount on an AK. I don’t know the specifics but he did it.

Attachments

• 8C2376DE-33B9-44C9-98FE-C01CA6FC8F43.png
    8C2376DE-33B9-44C9-98FE-C01CA6FC8F43.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
There’s a guy on Instagram that did just that but LH to a 1/2x28 Cherry Bomb to mount on an AK. I don’t know the specifics but he did it.

i was actually planning to use a cherry bomb interestingly enough. The can is an AAC 762SDN6 and I’m having the shit 51T cut off and threaded for a plan B.

I’m considering a reworking of one of my cans with them.

They seem like great people with a great reputation, doesn’t seem Iike you can go wrong with them. I know I’ll be happy to get rid of the 51T

Glad to hear it! I think he’s redoing some bearings in his machines but should be backup within the week.

Thats what he said, no big deal I haven’t ordered the brake yet. And my aac I’m planning to use still has to get to ECCO for the mount conversion and they’re down for a couple weeks to move into a new shop. I’m just happy to find someone to Confidently do the work.

Oh wow if you find out any more details on a CB rethreaded for L hand please update.

What more details are you after? He does it
Oh my bad I thought the manufacturer did the suppressor re-work and the CB/instagram from was someone else. all done by ECCO copy. can't read the picture of the CB on my phone and don't do social media just wanted to know who to contact for rethreading CB

Last edited:
Oh my bad I thought the manufacturer did the suppressor re-work and the CB/instagram from was someone else. all done by ECCO copy. can't read the picture of the CB on my phone and don't do social media just wanted to know who to contact for rethreading CB

BSD fab workx is the guy who will rethread your cherry bomb, ECCO might do it as well but I haven’t got a response back from them yet on the matter. I am however on their wait list to re-work my AAC.

BSD Fab is an adapter guru. He made me a Wolf 9SD to Cherry Bomb adapter when no one else would. He’s converted obsolete pistons to different pitches. He’s your guy.