• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Re-Visit Milling Machines

cwood3

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Spring, TX
I know, I know...............yes, I have read a boat load of posts on this. Guys, bear with me on this as more than myself may stand to benefit from this post about gunsmithing mills. My situation is this:

I am not going to be working with large parts.
I am not going to be hogging a lot of metal in 1 pass.
I will be machining all kinds of metals.
I do require as precise work as is reasonable.
I do not have a lot of space (1/2 of 2 car garage).
I can support 220V/3-Ph power.
I don't want to spend a year reworking an old machine.
I would like to add 3-axis DRO at some point.
I am always interested CNC conversion capability.
I am talking mainly, R700 extractors, recoil lugs, and parts of that size range.

So I have to be realistic, YES, I'd love a Bridgeport, but NO, it ain't gonna happen until I retire in 15 years. I still need to gain experience and be able to turn out some parts (hobby only).

So I am going to compile an Excel Spreadsheet with various models including, Grizzly and Precision Mathews....and compare the important parameters, and then price. My spread will include:

Table Size
Load Capacity
Table X-Axis Travel
Cross Y-Axis Travel
Vertical Head Travel
Quill Travel
Quill Diameter
Spindle Speeds
Power/Phase
Motor HP
Weight
Head Tilt (Y/N)
Head Swivel (Y/N)

Suggest machines to be listed and other features I missed. I will search pricing/availability and post the results in Excel and .pdf

Thanks in advance.

Re: Re-Visit Milling Machines

tag...similar interest...... would like to see the final comparison

As long as I get some good input, I'll do the leg work to get something meaningful posted.

I will need good input on what HP requirements to do the type machining addressed here and other related factors so as to keep things in scope.

thanks

Variable speed or Belt change.

Are you looking at the bench type mills? or regular Knee mills?

I think you get the same exact machine with different trim colors between pm and grizzly.

I added a uniq 3 axis dro to my mill for about $550 and it works great and there was plenty to work with for brackets....I can dig up the contact info if you don't have one picked out yet.

I run a Birmingham clone of the Bridgeport at work and liked it enough to buy same for my home shop....Model BPS3949C. Birmingham also makes a lathe with the same basic specs as the 5000 series Griz with one difference....they have them ready to ship. www.americanmachinetools.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you get the same exact machine with different trim colors between pm and grizzly.

I added a uniq 3 axis dro to my mill for about $550 and it works great and there was plenty to work with for brackets....I can dig up the contact info if you don't have one picked out yet. </div></div>

I could use that info on the DRO you put on your mill. I just got a Bridgeport for my shop and it's naked without the DRO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis_in_VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you get the same exact machine with different trim colors between pm and grizzly.

I added a uniq 3 axis dro to my mill for about $550 and it works great and there was plenty to work with for brackets....I can dig up the contact info if you don't have one picked out yet. </div></div>

I could use that info on the DRO you put on your mill. I just got a Bridgeport for my shop and it's naked without the DRO. </div></div>

This is one like mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150796996791

The seller is dro_guy his name is Tim and he speaks perfect English, shipped the same day and was there when I had a setup question.

Tag as well. I'm curious if you assume that all old mills would need to be re-conditioned? I've always wanted to pick up an old Bridgeport, but if it'll need a lot of work to get up and running then it's not worth the trouble.

Take a couple indicators with you and check the machine out. Run it through its paces and don't pay a premium price unless its a premium machine. You could find a 50 year old machine that is tight or you might find a 5 year old one that ran one operation its whole life.

Tables will bow, but for gun work, a few thou of bow will never show up.