• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Reaching out with my Sig 556

lavaspit

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Northern Califronia
www.p4rse.com
I am not really thrilled with my Eotech setup on my Sig 556. With the flip over magnifier, i still cant touch 100 yards accuratley. Is there anoher fli over magnifier that actually works,or does Eotech stop there for a reason.

heres the list of 5x scopes im considering, in particular the mark 4 at the bottom of the page:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...amp;x=0&y=0

The rrest of them are really only different in reticle shape.

My 3rd option would be to take my Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M2 Illuminated TMR OFF my Tikka T3 .308 and use the 226 turret. I would then be able to get an even higher powered scope for the now naked .308.

What are your thoughts guys? how do you find those x5 scopes that are genrally mounted on uni-platforms like the Luepold mar2 or LaRue, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Reaching out with my Sig 556

I think it depends on how you are defining '<span style="font-style: italic">accurately</span>'...

What ammo are you using? With that setup (EO & Magnifier) I'd just feed it bulk and be happy with pie-plate accuracy at 100yds...what more do you need? If you are in pursuit of 1/2-1 MOA groups at 100yds and further...then I'd just ditch the EO. IMHO, that setup, even with a magnifier, is better suited to point and click style shooting. EO shooting accuracy should be measured in the rapid acquisition of targets and shots within a vital area...not in overlapping rounds. If you really do want to see what you AR is capable of, group-wise, then go ahead and strap on the Mark 4. Good luck.

I am looking at a 1-4 or 1-6 scope for my AR once funds become availble. The 1 power allows you to use it similar to an Eotech not as fast but still relatively fast while the 4x allows for a better long range engagement. Having run an Eotech+Mag before they really arent suited to long range i used mine to make 500 yards hits on a torso sized plate 3 out of 5 times or so but its not a precision setup. The leupold might be a bit to much glass for the SIG 556 which I am assuming is in a carbine configuration but it wouldnt hurt if you just wanted to see the accuracy cabability of the rifle just make sure you find some good match ammunition that will work with your barrel twist.

biggest wtf here is newegg selling rifle scopes?!

in any case, as a 556 owner, with an aimpoint and a flip to side 3x magnifier, I'd say the usage case for this isn't shooting groups on paper at 100 yards. Want to hit a dinner plate, it'll do that all day. Want to get sub-moa, good luck with that optics setup on anything. I'd suggest take off the 10x from the other rifle, go shoot a few strings with a few different match ammos and then make a decision about what to do with your 556.

you may or may not find that it will meet your requirements for prone shooting. if it doesn't, recognize it wasn't built as a precision 223 rig.

The accuracy of the SIG 556 has always been problematic. Most of the ones I have seen at my gun club, and there have been quite a few were mostly in the 3+" range @ 100 yards, some a lot worse, regardless of the optics or the ammo used. The Eotech with the 3X magnifier only exacerbates the problem. I would do what other posters have opined and use the 10X scope and Federal GMM to see what the inherent accuracy of you rig is. In my case I have used a number of different variable up to 6.5-20X50 Leupold's and various hand loads as well as Federal GMM and the best I ever got was 2" 5 shot groups @ 100 yards. They are just not built to be precision rifles IMO. On the positive side it has been very reliable and never had any trouble other the the sub par accuracy.