• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ready to shoot my rifle for the first time.

NYH1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2013
New Yorkistan
Ok, I have my scope mounted and bored sighted. My Timny 510 installed. Ready for a trip to the range. Should I shoot some cheap Remington Core-Lokt's and/or Federal Power-Shok's in it before I see how well it shoots the Federal Gold Medal 168gr. Sierra MatchKing BTHP that I have?

My plan with this rifle is to shoot factory Match Grade ammo in it. I have a box of the Federal GMM 168gr. now. I'm going to try as many types of Match Grade ammo as I can. Just thought I might be better off shooting a few boxes of the cheap stuff I have first. What do you guys think?

Thanks, NYH1.

I would shoot the cheaper ammo to get you on paper and then dial in your zero with your ammo you intend to shoot.

I think you're on the right track. Shoot the cheap stuff to get on paper and then change over to the match grade ammo. Instead of trying every box of ammo, I would try 1 at a time until you find one your rifle loves. When I got one of my rifles, I got so excited, I bought a box of bullets in 150, 165, 168, 180, and 190. So now I have a bunch of extra bullets laying around that I will probably never really use.

Some bores may take a fair amount of coppering. I know this is a hot topic but if you have a few boxes of cheap and one good (gmm etc) you could shoot 20 cheap ones, check a gmm group of 5, 20 more, another gmm group etc to see if it improves as you "break in". Good way to get to know your new rifle to and get comfortable with it, plus get some valuable data. 80 rds total with 4 5-shot groups over the course of the day

As stated above-get on paper at 50 yards with the cheaper stuff, then move to 100 yards. SMK 168s great to about 600. Heavier weight bullets better to 1000 yards or more depending on your barrel twist to stabilize them.

Last edited:
One other note is to clean the barrel real good before taking the first shot. Then shoot one clean one for the first ten shots to break it in then 3 five shot groups and clean after each group. Make sure you have a copper cleaning solvent and carbon remover and keep it clean.

I think you're on the right track. Shoot the cheap stuff to get on paper and then change over to the match grade ammo. Instead of trying every box of ammo, I would try 1 at a time until you find one your rifle loves. When I got one of my rifles, I got so excited, I bought a box of bullets in 150, 165, 168, 180, and 190. So now I have a bunch of extra bullets laying around that I will probably never really use.

Haha I did the same exact thing with my SPR

I personally don't bother with barrel break in. Brux will tell you its not even needed. Factory barrels will be fine without it as well. Just go shoot!

Last edited:
Man I would save yourself a lot of trouble and money; just try the FGMM 168 and 175 once you have it dialed in and see how well it shoots. You may have no need to try anything else after that. I did exactly what you are talking about with three different 308s. The FGMM always won out for me. A buddy of mine independently came up with the same conclusion. I've tried Black Hills, Hornady HSM, Nosler, etc. all match and the Federal ended up being the cheapest and shot the best each time.

Try the FGMM first and unless it just sucks I wouldn't bother with the others.