• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ready to start handloading. Am I missing anything?

Randoman5

Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm getting ready to start loading my own .308 ammo. I think I've got everything I'm going to need and I'm wondering if there's anything I'm forgetting.

Here's what I have.

Bullets
Brass
Primers
Powder

single stage press

dies for

Decapping
Bullet seating
Full length sizing
Neck sizing
and Case lube

A scale and a funnel

Measuring calipers

case trimmer

A tool for beveling case neck and uniforming primer pockets.

Bullet puller

Headspace gauge kit
comparator

Various reloading tutorials and guides from the internet.

So, before I begin is there anything I'm missing? Do I need a stuck case puller?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You're missing a redding competition shell holder set. It's real good to have when setting your headspace. Otherwise you are going to fall victim to variance induced by brass hardness, friction, press linkage slop, etc.

Don't forget to clean your cases(if they have been fired before), and buy or make yourself some case lube. I make mine using 5 parts 100% isopropyl alcohol mixed with 1 part pure lanolin oil.Put your mix in a spray bottle. Put your brass in a bucket a few handfuls at a time, give them a few good sprays with your lube. Let the alcohol evaporate and you are ready to resize. After sizing, just wash em in hot water and you're good to go.