• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Real Avid Master Vise

I would suggest a pattern makers vise instead. Called a carver's vise or guitar makers vise. Mounts way more sturdy than the real avid.
Soft, rotating jaws. Holds everything I've got super secure. I use it to clean guns, mount scopes, mess with bedding actions, torque on muzzle stuff, all kinds of crap.

Thank's Stunt & John,
Very good marketing from RA. I seem to be consistently disappointed with interweb purchases.I didn't think it would be much good for heavy tasks. I have a barrel vise & a regular 3" vise with magnet attached soft pads, as well as a Tipton's Best gun vise, which I don't really consider a vise as much as a gun holder. I am mainly trying to free up space on my bench. If the RA vise is a little better than the Tipton and if it can handle a few more tasks it will be a fair but expensive replacement.
I have found my barrel vise very useful ( in addition to changing barrels) for light but important tasks like barrel cleaning & scope mounting etc but it (can't remember maker) is big with hard edges & wooden blocks & great for changing barrels. I have it set up to be easily installed & removed. The Tipton can also be moved off my bench to my desk to be used as a gun holder.

Same as comment above re barrel swap or high torque applications. It is a very well made vise, smooth turning, but I wouldn't apply too much force on it. I don't barrel swap so I won't say it cannot do it.

Reactions: doubloon
Bumping this...anyone else tried it since this older thread? I'm eyeing it up right now, wondering if it's good to go. The videos look great and seems like it would be good for everything except high torque work.

Bumping this...anyone else tried it since this older thread? I'm eyeing it up right now, wondering if it's good to go. The videos look great and seems like it would be good for everything except high torque work.
I just took a two week flintlock building class and a bunch of more experienced guys used these. I have one on the way.
IMG_8588.png

Reactions: doubloon
I’ve been running one for a 6-7 months. I’ve done 6 barrel swaps, and use it all the time for light work. I really like the vise personally. I wouldn’t use it specifically for barrel swaps as there is bigger more solid vises to do so but it has handles them well so far.

Reactions: atomic41
I’ve been running one for a 6-7 months. I’ve done 6 barrel swaps, and use it all the time for light work. I really like the vise personally. I wouldn’t use it specifically for barrel swaps as there is bigger more solid vises to do so but it has handles them well so far.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm liking the idea of the picatinny or arca groove on the jaws. That feature alone is very attractive. I've got a big one for heavy work, this seems perfect for everything else.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm liking the idea of the picatinny or arca groove on the jaws. That feature alone is very attractive. I've got a big one for heavy work, this seems perfect for everything else.
It’s been very handy. It’s smooth, it’s very universal. Makes light work extremely easy. They told me it would handle barrel changes but you after doing some it does seem on its upper end or slightly past its max. So for I really like it

Reactions: atomic41
@drwood96 , thanks for posting those up. I got the jaws and they are very nice. It's in my big vise now but I'm planning to buy that G Wade next.