• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes REAL DEAL?

DocLes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
ARKANSAS
I bought a scope a while back, and some of the other forum's I have posted on have questioned if it's the real deal.
Just to set my mind at ease, I have decided to ask all of you, since I trust your opinion's the most. When I purchased it, I was told it Was the USMC Redifeld 3x9 1" "THE GREEN SCOPE".
Here are a few pics to look at. Your opinion please.
DSCN0158.jpg

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

url]
SCN0161.jpg[/IMG]
DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

DSCN0168.jpg

Thank you all for the help.

Doc Les

Re: REAL DEAL?

I'd say it's the real deal based on the pics. You've got to keep in mind that someone will always be around to question such items. Not much of this old stuff came with proper documentation at the time and accurate records of certain things used were not kept.

Well it will depend on where you got it. That scope is the exact one from Peter R. Senich's Book "The One-Round War" page 224

dsc05900b.jpg

Well I'll be damned!!! I have that scope. Just made my day!!

Doc Les

I bought this scope on E-Bay a while back from a guy who said it used to belong to Jim Leatherwood. Damn, so much for gaining any more history on it, since Mr Senich has passed away.

Thank you for that information

Doc Les

I have a Blued one with the Tombstone Range finder inside from the same period.I know for a fact we had it in 1972. Any Idea what it is worth?

Jon,
I have no idea what it would be worth. I was in hopes someone here would chime in and give me some idea. Now that I have this information, I have decided to go to no end to dig up more. I would hope someone on the site would give me some suggestions where to start.

Doc Les

Very cool to see a scope like that on here, and especially one profiled in the book too. We used to get a lot of the old receivers on our M40A1s that were from the vintage M40s, and about half of them had 221xxx numbers in my platoon. I was especially fond of my second M40A1 I carried, S/N 168xxx.