• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Real world accuracy: 223 wylde chamber V 5.56 nato

WxWatcher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Norman, OK
So I know there is a difference in dimensions between 223 Rem and 5.56, and that the Wylde is a compromise between the two. Able to fire both, but supposedly more accurate than a 5.56 chamber.

So my question is, is the difference in accuracy really noticeable by the average shooter at the range, or is the claimed better accuracy of a Wylde chamber, while statistically better, not really noticeable in the real world?

Re: Real world accuracy: 223 wylde chamber V 5.56 nato

I have a AR built by Bill with his chamber in a 8 twist Obermeyer. I have shot sub half MOA groups to 500 yards. I have another rifle with a Noveske 7 twist with their chamber and it shoots just as well. In my opinoin a 5.56 chamber is to sloppy for precision shooting.

You won't go wronf with a Wylde chamber

Depends on how good you are and what distance you are shooting. If your "real world" is plinking inside of 100 yards then get something cheap. If your "real world" is groups at 600, 800, 1000 then i'd think the big loose 5.56 chamber will hurt. Get a wylde or noveske chamber and shoot tiny holes.

The army uses a 5.56 chamber in their Mann Accuracy Devices to test ammo. It works with both 223 and 5.56.

I use the Wylde chamber in my White Oak Service Rifle.

I use a 223 chamber in my Remington 700 Bolt gun.

They all shoot a heck of a lot better then I do.

I think its up to the shooter to make either work.

The Wylde chamber uses NATO specs for the case dimensions. So, in that regard, it is pretty much the same as a NATO 5.56 chamber. This means semi-auto feeding will be very reliable. The Wylde chamber modifies the freebore dimensions to improve accuracy, yet it is plenty roomy for even the longest bullets. It's really an amazing chamber spec that is both accurate and reliable in an AR. You will be able to run single-load match rounds and 5.56 NATO rounds with a Wylde chamber: just do it.
smile.gif

It also depends on things like the ogive profile of the bullet you've selected, so results may vary somewhat. But yes, it can make a difference, especially for bullets with ogive profiles more secant than tangent (i.e. those with a higher ballistic coefficient).

John

Reactions: Rocky Shot

http://ar15barrels.com/data/223-556.pdf

Here is some reamer diagrams. Not all 5.56 chambers are equal, nor are all .223 chambers.

I've got both 5.56 chambers and Wylde. I can't compare apples to apples for accuracy (the Wylde is a 1:8" SS, FF, and has a nice trigger with nice glass up top), but the Wylde seems to work the brass slightly more than any of the 5.56 chambers.

My Wylde is on a WOA 1:8" SPR bbl. It shoots .5-.75 MOA for five round strings. Ten and twenty round strings tend to be .75-1 MOA. Its wearing a Zeiss on top, Daniel Defense Lite Rail, and a SSA trigger. For what its worth, my NATO chambered BCMs, Colts, and DDs shoot about 1.0-1.5 MOA with a chrome-lined barrel, some are floated while others aren't, and all but one has a mil-spec trigger rather than a nice SSA or the like.

My 5.56 shoots half MOA at 300 yds. I think the variation you see in ammo is much more than you can pin on a Wylde versus a 5.56 chambering.

Scooter is spot on on chamber dimensions, the nato chamber is throated for 62 gr. tracers and Bill modified the throat to "optimize" it for jumping mag length bullets (then 69 SMK being the best at the time) either will do a good job with single loaded 80's but the nato chamber should have a longer OAL for an 80 but a lot of manufacturers have used variations of both so generalizations are just that

my lothar walther 1:8 wylde 20" shoots consistent 5 shot groups about .5 moa at 100-200 and with little wind (almost none at all) will hold .5-.75 out to 700 yds with bh 77 gr. match......it seems to really shine with 75 and 77 gr. projectiles

I've got one chambered in 5.56, one in .223 Wylde, and one in 5.56 Match. The Wylde and 5.56 Match shoot almost identical. (one is an 18" barrel, one is a 24" barrel). I use the same load in both rifles...77g SMK over IMR8208. Both rifles are .5" MOA. I notice zero difference between the two as far as the chamber goes. On the standard 5.56, it is a 16" rifle and averages just over 1 MOA. Granted, the barrel in the 5.56 isn't as nice, but is not a piece of junk either. It would be considered a very good barrel for being stock. (Daniel Defense CHF)