• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Realistic accuracy of a Savage MK II Camo?

shaneinhisroom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2011
Ohio
I can't seem to get good groups out of it...it's not a bull barrel but it shouldn't matter since 22LR isn't exactly a hot round. I'm shooting mini mags and I've only been able to get about 1" at 25yd. Should I try some match ammo to see if it improves? It's completely stock except for a Prostaff Rimfire scope on top. Is that all I can expect out of this little rifle? Also we've only put about 500 rds down the tube and we've never cleaned the barrel, the action yes to get some of the carbon out, but have not really touched the barrel.

It's my girlfriend's gun, and she's planning on using it in an Appleseed so it shouldn't matter much, but it just frustrates me.

What scope are you using? Is the parallax set for (about) 25 yards or whatever distance you are shooting?

My BTV will only do about 2.5-3 MOA with high velocity ammo. Using almost anything subsonic - CCI SV, various SK offerings, the Wolf, the subsonic hp offerings from Remington, CCI, Winchester, Aguila, etc. it drops down to MOA or slightly better consistently. I've not noticed any improvements in going up higher in ammo quality (ie, Center-X, Ely offerings).

I have thousands of rounds thru mine without any barrel cleaning - just wipe down the outside to prevent rust. I'll clean it when either it stops working or accuracy falls off with known-good ammo.

It is a Nikon prostaff 3-9 rimfire...parallax is set at 50yd. Groups dont fair much better at 50yd. I will try subs, any idea why high velocity ammo hurts accuracy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is a Nikon prostaff 3-9 rimfire...parallax is set at 50yd. Groups dont fair much better at 50yd. I will try subs, any idea why high velocity ammo hurts accuracy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B/C .22lr bullets generally do not handle transonic flight well. The projectiles will begin to loose stability as they go through the sound barrier.

.22 accuracy often degrades with a dirty barrel. Go watch olympic shooters sometime. They clean the moment they're done shooting while the barrel and the lube in it are still warm.

My Savage would go a few hundred rounds before I noticed any loss of accuracy. The original barrel on my 40X seemed impervious to a dirty barrel, but a friends Lilja barreled 40X is only good for about 200 rounds between cleanings.

It hurts nothing to clean and it may help.

I've not shot one of the skinny barrel Savages, but my heavy barrel version shoots about 1 moa at 100Y with anything from Eley.

FWIW:

My rifle won't shoot minimags but shoots American Eagle HP like it was match ammo.

if you can, you might try different ammo brands (tough in this market, but it worked for me).

BMT

I am no expert here
but what i know, i learned the hard, or from very knowledgeable gents here on the hide
1) yes all barrels have an small wip even a 22lr
so make sure barrle not touching stock (or have it bedded)
2) drity barrels tend to lose acc, quicker
if you find at what round count yours drops acc then clean
check out Frank Greens post on cleaning a new 22
3) is the stock factory, IMO they are junk, to much flex
if you are shooting off bipod watch for forend flex,hard to pre load bipod if it does
4) ammo, ammo, ammo. Hornet is spot on about hi, hyper ammo
you have to find what ammo it likes, dont try 5,10 shots shoot a whole box,
of different brands ( yea costly) try to stat 1080 fps are lower
5) trigger see if it is pulling about the same every time, may need a little TLC
6) scope is it staying true, do a box test to make sure, all screw tight
my son's FVSR after mods,(trigger work, stock change & bedding,a little polishing here an there)
with midas plus, wolf, an other match ammo shoots damm good
but remimber we are talking about a $250.00 rifle,dont expext it to shoot like a CZ,annie win sako
it just will not
good luck, ther are a lot of fun, with a can
YO

My MkII FV-SR has a Tacticool stock and Weaver GST 3-10x scope that lacks parallax adjustment.

It is a consistent 10 shots into 1" @ 50yd rifle with CCI SV, CCI AR Tactical and 40gr Mini-Mags, though the rifle pretty much only gets fed SV as it proved most accurate of the 'bulks', with AR Tactical second and MMs third. If I'm dialed in behind the rifle, I can put 10 shots of SV into a half inch at 50yd.

My rifle does seem to like to shoot moderately dirty, and gets nothing but a boresnake after shooting because it takes 100+ rounds after a deep cleaning for it to settle back in.

Factory MkII tupperware stocks are garbage with the downward angle of the comb and make getting a consistent and comfortable cheek weld VERY difficult when using a scope. I would bet a (massively) built up stock pack or similar would help improve consistency greatly.

I had one. 1" at 50 yards seems to be a realistic expectation. Mine never did better than that so I sold it and bought a CZ. I have had better results with the CZ (and have now gone down the long road of heavy mods … for minor improvements in accuracy). The Savage is a plinker IMO … not a true precision tool. That said it worked just fine and looked damn good doing it. As with all 22 LR … try different ammo. You may find one that your gun likes.

Try the black stock - the camo is for "tactical" shooting... ;-P J/K

Ammo consistency will shrink your groups a bunch and as was touched on, you'll need to shoot a bunch of it to find what it likes. HV ammo generally is for hunting; not precision and the gun that will shoot HV ammo well is rare.

Yote got about all the hi-lites... make sure everything is tight and your scope is repeatable.

Next, don't believe everything you read on the internet about MOA at 100 "all day long, if I do my part, blah, blah..." A true MOA .22LR is a rare animal and takes a good driver to get it there as well. Check out the challenge threads for proof of this and remember that even most of those are cherry-picked attempts. Yote shot the best 100 yard target I've ever seen and even he will tell you it was one of those "stars-aligned" things.

Bottom line, find the ammo that rifle shoots the best and buy a bunch of it for your GF to practice with and use at Appleseed... and HAVE FUN!!!

I had a Savage TR when they first came out and it wasn't reliable
sometimes it was a 1 hold gun at 25 and sometimes it was a 1 inch
tried everything
different ammo (standard velocity)
cleaned barrel
didn't clean
nothing worked
resolved the issue by selling it and getting a CZ 452
now I also have a 455PT and its a laser
Now if I were you id try standard velocity ammo and not clean the barrel for a while
22 barrels need "seasoning" in

Side note I cant remember the time I last cleaned the barrel on my 455 and its a 1 inch rifle at 100 so not cleaning the barrel isn't always a way to improve accuracy

Try the black stock - the camo is for "tactical" shooting... ;-P J/K

Ammo consistency will shrink your groups a bunch and as was touched on, you'll need to shoot a bunch of it to find what it likes. HV ammo generally is for hunting; not precision and the gun that will shoot HV ammo well is rare.

Yote got about all the hi-lites... make sure everything is tight and your scope is repeatable.

Next, don't believe everything you read on the internet about MOA at 100 "all day long, if I do my part, blah, blah..." A true MOA .22LR is a rare animal and takes a good driver to get it there as well. Check out the challenge threads for proof of this and remember that even most of those are cherry-picked attempts. Yote shot the best 100 yard target I've ever seen and even he will tell you it was one of those "stars-aligned" things.

Bottom line, find the ammo that rifle shoots the best and buy a bunch of it for your GF to practice with and use at Appleseed... and HAVE FUN!!!

yep!!! stars stili have not aligned again.
but I think it is my scope, on armopl8tchikn an apache, good advice now putting a leupold on top
come on rico my glenfield western auto, with yellow jackets, shoots all day every day.
I never miss hitting Catawba county somewhere every time I pull the trigger.

but back on track, my son`s FVSR, with a boyds stock, bedded a little TLC here an there, shoots damm good, for a (now) $375.00 rifle,
so wish he wanted a CZ, may have been less trouble, in the long run. but like I said a hell of a lot of fun, with the can on, an sub ammo.
shane it can be done,(that is shoot better) but at what cost. I would try better ammo 1st

I had a Savage TR when they first came out and it wasn't reliable
sometimes it was a 1 hold gun at 25 and sometimes it was a 1 inch
tried everything
different ammo (standard velocity)
cleaned barrel
didn't clean
nothing worked
resolved the issue by selling it and getting a CZ 452
now I also have a 455PT and its a laser
Now if I were you id try standard velocity ammo and not clean the barrel for a while
22 barrels need "seasoning" in

Side note I cant remember the time I last cleaned the barrel on my 455 and its a 1 inch rifle at 100 so not cleaning the barrel isn't always a way to improve accuracy

yes not all barrels need cleaning, you are right there
but if accuracy drops off, cant hurt to clean, just to rule that out
I have found that both my MPR, an my son`s 455 lilja needs a cleaning around 150/200 rounds.
but my other rifles can go much longer on round count, but they still don't shoot as tight as the annie or CZ

yes not all barrels need cleaning, you are right there
but if accuracy drops off, cant hurt to clean, just to rule that out
I have found that both my MPR, an my son`s 455 lilja needs a cleaning around 150/200 rounds.
but my other rifles can go much longer on round count, but they still don't shoot as tight as the annie or CZ

No worries I was just saying ..... I do clean my barrel ..... when I can't see light down it anymore ;-)

. I do clean my barrel ..... when I can't see light down it anymore ;-)[/QUOTE said:
funny shit right there.
glad to see you found your happy place,
I was in the same boat a few years back.

Different rifles need different cleaning regimens for optimum performance.

My 1913a- every 50-75 shots and a dry patch
My CZ's- about 100.
Henry 001T a few hundred rounds.

Others bought and sold varied from 100 to 500 rounds before accuracy dropped off.

If you are hunting for pre-dinner hors d'oeuvres, maybe once every few years since 1/2 to 1" either way still gets you a kill. For target shooting, as above.

Ammo absolutely does make a difference, all other factors being equal.

And PLEASE remember, as alluded to in this thread, you have an entry level rifle, which in and of itself is fine, but don't expect to get .2" groups at 50 yards with it.

I would suggest that you go to your local range, set up at 50 yards, beg or borrow (not steal) a front rest, set it up and take your time.

Last edited:
I have a mark ii. The stock is probably the weak link. I know this is a trash savage get a cz thread but i think with a little effort you can get the savage where you want. I would suggest looking into the DIP Products bottom metal and trigger guard and a solid stock. Neither would set you back much $$. May also want to check your mount and rings.

The rifle is garbage if it wont do 1'' @ 50 yds.

Savage rifles are very accurate right out of the box. I have an MKII with a prostaff rimfire 50 yrd paralax and its a nail driver. I use CCI subsonic HP and its a nail driver. whats your DOPE say?